Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Sold my XLR- goodbye and a sincere thank you!! C7 vs XLR comparisons

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi All,
After 6 years of owning my gorgeous 2005 XLR, I'm a bit sad to say that it has now moved onto a new home.
One of my friends works for GM, and I was able to purchase a 2015 Corvette Stingray convertible with the employee pricing- it was an offer to good to refuse.

I listed my car on Autotrader this Sunday night, and had a really nice guy from Seattle area fly down to San Diego on Wednesday morning to purchase it. Glad it went to someone who seems to have a deep-found appreciation for my special baby.

Every time I saw my XLR, it truly was like looking at a beautiful piece of futuristic art. I'll never forget the first time I saw one at the auto show. The technology and styling were WAY ahead of its time.
Even though the car was 10 years old, it continuously drew admiring glances and compliments.
Aside from having to replace the shocks, top position sensors, and rear leaf spring bushing, it was an EXTREMELY reliable car (especially for a semi-exotic with 95k miles!).

I want to think everyone on this wonderful forum!! The knowledge on here helped convince me to purchase the car in the first place, and tremendously assisted with all of the modifications I made (adding the Lockpick iPod integration, upgrading all my interior lights to LED, adding the rear Corvette sway bar, switching to non-run flats, etc).

In particular, I'd like to thank ccclarke for sharing all of his technical expertise, service diagrams, etc.

One nice part about this forum is that everyone is very mature, polite, and respectful.....we sometimes take that for granted. It's not quite the same sense of community on other car forums (e.g. some of the Corvette and Honda S2000 forums, etc).

For those of you considering replacing your car with a C7, a few things I have noticed during my month owning both cars:
1. The paint job on the XLR is MUCH better!!! The 10 year old paint on the XLR had a better finish than my new Vette (luster, depth of color, shine)
2. The stereo of the XLR is 10000000000000000x's better sounding than the Vette (the Vette's bass sounds boomy and it doesn't have speakers in the headrest)
3. The Vette does not have adaptive cruise control (I'll really miss that feature)
4. The Vette has a rear camera, but I actually prefer the 3 lights and beeping of the XLR rear sensors
5. The seats of the XLR are much more cushy and comfortable for long trips
6. The Vette does not have a CD player (having the 6 disc changer in the XLR was handy!)
7. The Vette does not have standard navigation (it's bundled for $1800 with a PDR- performance data recording- camera package)
8. The flat body panels of the XLR make it so much easier to wash, wax, etc
9. The visibility with the top up on the XLR is vastly superior to the Vette with it's top up (the rear window is a joke - totally minuscule)

Again- a huge thank you to all of you. Wishing you many years and lots of miles of happy driving!!!!
Sincerely,
Mark

Attachments

• C360_2015-08-02-16-40-09-221.jpg
    C360_2015-08-02-16-40-09-221.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 301
  • C360_2015-08-02-15-26-41-257.jpg
    C360_2015-08-02-15-26-41-257.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 282
  • C360_2015-08-02-16-33-32-242.jpg
    C360_2015-08-02-16-33-32-242.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 351
Sorry to see you go, enjoy the new ride!

Thanks for the very interesting comparison to the C7 (which hubby has had some longing for) -- funny how GM has come so far and yet not ...

(by the way the paint finish on my XLR is also way better than my 7 years newer CTS, but then again the finish on the CTS is the worst of the few Caddies I've owned since the '04 model year - going downhill there!)

Bummer to hear the CTS paint isn't that great.

What's interesting is that I went to 4 dealerships- and only 1 would let me test-drive the Vette before buying.
Really stupid policy. I then had to wait 13 weeks for my car to arrive after I ordered it- a true exercise in patience.

The Infrared is one of the most vivid, vibrant colors for the XLR! That's what I originally wanted, but they were all $15-20k more than my used silver model.
All of the XLRs with metallic flake in their paint have held-up extremely well with time.

I didn't have any orange peel on my XLR panels, and have a lot with the C7. Apparently Bowling Green implemented a different painting process, and the revised SMC materials used for the C7 panels makes it more difficult to achieve a perfect finish.

They obviously are aware of this problem:
"General Motors is spending $439 million to build a new paint shop at the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant where workers assemble the Chevrolet Corvette."

GM to spend $439M on new Corvette paint shop in Kentucky

Sorry to see you go, enjoy the new ride!

Thanks for the very interesting comparison to the C7 (which hubby has had some longing for) -- funny how GM has come so far and yet not ...

(by the way the paint finish on my XLR is also way better than my 7 years newer CTS, but then again the finish on the CTS is the worst of the few Caddies I've owned since the '04 model year - going downhill there!)

Hi All,
After 6 years of owning my gorgeous 2005 XLR, I'm a bit sad to say that it has now moved onto a new home.
One of my friends works for GM, and I was able to purchase a 2015 Corvette Stingray convertible with the employee pricing- it was an offer to good to refuse.

I listed my car on Autotrader this Sunday night, and had a really nice guy from Seattle area fly down to San Diego on Wednesday morning to purchase it. Glad it went to someone who seems to have a deep-found appreciation for my special baby.

Every time I saw my XLR, it truly was like looking at a beautiful piece of futuristic art. I'll never forget the first time I saw one at the auto show. The technology and styling were WAY ahead of its time.
Even though the car was 10 years old, it continuously drew admiring glances and compliments.
Aside from having to replace the shocks, top position sensors, and rear leaf spring bushing, it was an EXTREMELY reliable car (especially for a semi-exotic with 95k miles!).

I want to think everyone on this wonderful forum!! The knowledge on here helped convince me to purchase the car in the first place, and tremendously assisted with all of the modifications I made (adding the Lockpick iPod integration, upgrading all my interior lights to LED, adding the rear Corvette sway bar, switching to non-run flats, etc).

In particular, I'd like to thank ccclarke for sharing all of his technical expertise, service diagrams, etc.

One nice part about this forum is that everyone is very mature, polite, and respectful.....we sometimes take that for granted. It's not quite the same sense of community on other car forums (e.g. some of the Corvette and Honda S2000 forums, etc).

For those of you considering replacing your car with a C7, a few things I have noticed during my month owning both cars:
1. The paint job on the XLR is MUCH better!!! The 10 year old paint on the XLR had a better finish than my new Vette (luster, depth of color, shine)
2. The stereo of the XLR is 10000000000000000x's better sounding than the Vette (the Vette's bass sounds boomy and it doesn't have speakers in the headrest)
3. The Vette does not have adaptive cruise control (I'll really miss that feature)
4. The Vette has a rear camera, but I actually prefer the 3 lights and beeping of the XLR rear sensors
5. The seats of the XLR are much more cushy and comfortable for long trips
6. The Vette does not have a CD player (having the 6 disc changer in the XLR was handy!)
7. The Vette does not have standard navigation (it's bundled for $1800 with a PDR- performance data recording- camera package)
8. The flat body panels of the XLR make it so much easier to wash, wax, etc
9. The visibility with the top up on the XLR is vastly superior to the Vette with it's top up (the rear window is a joke - totally minuscule)

Again- a huge thank you to all of you. Wishing you many years and lots of miles of happy driving!!!!
Sincerely,
Mark

Interesting comparison, makes me glad I am keeping my XLR. But now for the other side of the story..... I'm sure there are a lot of great things about the new Vette that the XLR does not have other than being 10 years newer??? I do think it is the best looking Vette yet.

Interesting comparison, makes me glad I am keeping my XLR. But now for the other side of the story..... I'm sure there are a lot of great things about the new Vette that the XLR does not have other than being 10 years newer??? I do think it is the best looking Vette yet.

I test-drove the 7 speed manual, but it's just 1 gear too many (easy to get lost in the pattern) and the skip-shift to get better fuel efficiency is annoying. However, the 8 speed automatic is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT- even better than the Porsche PDK I test-drove, so that's what I bought.
It has rev matching, you can tap and hold for it to go to the lowest possible gear (e.g. drop from 8th gear to 3rd gear).
The exhaust is FANTASTIC and adjustable via the settings on the screen (stealth mode, track, sport, touring), However, I've never heard the Corsa on the XLR, and it's probably similar?

Handling, acceleration, and braking are in a whole different league.
However, for day-to-day driving- you could easily use most of the XLR's performance on a public road without breaking any laws.
I'm maybe using about 30% of the Vette's- it really needs to be on a track to fully unleash all its capabilities.

As you'd expect for 10 years newer- the infotainment stuff is nice- Bluetooth streaming of audio, 3 USB ports for iPods, iPhones, Androids, etc, USB card reader for music.
The heads-up display is full color (MPH is white) and shows RPM, g force, etc....however, the solid green HUD for the XLR is much much easier to read.

A few other items:
1. Was spoiled that the XLR could take regular gas. C7 requires premium :-(
2. City MPG for C7 is HORRIBLE- have been getting 13-14 MPG (even in "ECO" mode), versus 16-17 for the XLR; supposedly the C7 can get 30 MPG on the freeway (but I think that is very optimistic), I was able to get 26 MPG on the highway with cruise set at 70mph with the XLR
3. The top takes about as long as the XLR- about 25 seconds each cycle, and you can raise and lower it in motion while driving up to 35 miles per hour. I personally think this will put lots of wear on the top fabric and mechanism. You can lower the top using the fob, but it never seems to work- and pressing down the button while holding out the fob facing the car is a pain.
4. Side mirrors are TINY compared to the XLR- maybe 40% smaller mirror surface area. It's a good thing I got the convertible, because changing lanes in the coupe would be a guessing game.
5. Quality of the C7 interior carpeting is horrible- paper thin, no padding at all. Even the $160 dealer floor mats are ridiculously thin.
6. The steering wheel is much, much smaller on the C7, which makes it feel more sporty
7. The leather has a completely different texture- almost feels like neoprene. I had a lot of issues with premature seat wear on my XLR (had to have the leather bolster panels replaced at 55k----$280- ouch), so hopefully these will be more durable.
8. Overall length is about the same, but the C7 sits much, much lower.
9. Passenger seating space is smaller in the C7 due to the shape (square footwell versus curved in the C7)
10. Trunk with the top down is twice the size of the XLR. However, the XLR easily beats it for trunk space with the top up.
11. Just like my XLR, I added the rear sway bar.....cheap modification. Kinda funny how the base C7 doesn't have one, just like the non-V XLR. I could tell a big difference adding this in the XLR, not really much of a change for the C7 (added both front and rear Z51 sway bars).
12. C7 has a hidden compartment in the trunk, just like the XLR. However, the battery is also located in the trunk!
13. The AC and heated seats in the XLR are vastly more powerful and effective.
14. It's strange that the C7 doesn't have roll-hoops for extra safety protection?

Its great that you would take the time to write these comparisons. I have enjoyed this and hope you enjoy your new ride. Don't turn into one of those vette snobs though :D

Its great that you would take the time to write these comparisons. I have enjoyed this and hope you enjoy your new ride. Don't turn into one of those vette snobs though :D

Figured this might help for anyone wondering how the 2 compare.

And yes, they can take themselves a bit too seriously sometime!
We have 3 Vette clubs in San Diego, and apparently they don't get along with each other or something silly like that :(

Plus, something else- EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE wants to race you or rev the engine at stoplights, on the freeway, etc in the C7.
I don't think that even happened once in my XLR over 6 years?!

Thanks for sharing! (And the kind words.) I love the look of the C7. Your comments were very really interesting. We'll miss you here!!

I just picked up my new car this week and will write up a comparison shortly, once I learn and experience more, but you're spot-on with the technology comparison. A LOT has changed in ten years, and even though the XLR was the latest and greatest tech GM could put in a convertible, it pales in comparison with what they are building now.

Happy Motoring,

CC :wave:

Thanks for sharing! (And the kind words.) I love the look of the C7. Your comments were very really interesting. We'll miss you here!!

I just picked up my new car this week and will write up a comparison shortly, once I learn and experience more, but you're spot-on with the technology comparison. A LOT has changed in ten years, and even though the XLR was the latest and greatest tech GM could put in a convertible, it pales in comparison with what they are building now.

Happy Motoring,

Hey CC, congrats on your new car too! What did you get?

An off-lease, immaculate, 2013 Graphite Metallic, (Jet Black/Wheat Trim Interior) Platinum AWD XTS. With the high depreciation rates the XTS enjoys, I picked it up for half price, with a 6-year, 70k mile CPO warranty.

"And suddenly everything is the same ..."

I've never even ridden in any Corvette, but it sounds like from your review of the C7 the differences between the XLR & the Corvette are still pretty much the same as what I've always understood them to be - the XLR is slanted towards comfort, the Corvette towards performance. From what I'd heard I thought the C7 might have moved a lot closer to the comfort side, and maybe it has compared to prior Corvettes, but sounds like it's clearly still no XLR in that area!

Haven't had anyone rev engines at or try to race the XLR either, just ask lots of questions - the GT500 is a different story. Like the C7, everyone seems to be trying to race it at all times. Not necessarily something we're looking for when driving around. Not sure I would have expected that same thing with the C7.

Thanks for all the info! It's great to have such an in-depth insider comparison when I'm at least very familiar with half of the story!

An off-lease, immaculate, 2013 Graphite Metallic, (Jet Black/Wheat Trim Interior) Platinum AWD XTS. With the high depreciation rates the XTS enjoys, I picked it up for half price, with a 6-year, 70k mile CPO warranty.

Congrats! The XTS is super luxurious car! Half price is bargain for such a new model, especially with the warranty.
Is there an XTS forum similar to the XLR forum?

"And suddenly everything is the same ..."

I've never even ridden in any Corvette, but it sounds like from your review of the C7 the differences between the XLR & the Corvette are still pretty much the same as what I've always understood them to be - the XLR is slanted towards comfort, the Corvette towards performance. From what I'd heard I thought the C7 might have moved a lot closer to the comfort side, and maybe it has compared to prior Corvettes, but sounds like it's clearly still no XLR in that area!

Haven't had anyone rev engines at or try to race the XLR either, just ask lots of questions - the GT500 is a different story. Like the C7, everyone seems to be trying to race it at all times. Not necessarily something we're looking for when driving around. Not sure I would have expected that same thing with the C7.

Thanks for all the info! It's great to have such an in-depth insider comparison when I'm at least very familiar with half of the story!

The XLR has a much more laid-back, grand touring vibe.
Just cruising along, everything about the C7 feels race-track ready. In several regards (body rigidity/stiffness, steering response, seating position, shocks, tightness of seat bolstering), it actually feels more like my 2003 Honda S2000 than the XLR.

It's possible to just be light on the accelerator, put it in ECO, put the exhaust in stealth mode, change the suspension to touring mode- but it still has a slightly aggressive feel to it....which I personally don't mind ;-)
After spending $2400 in parts + $480 labor to replace leaking MRC shocks on my XLR, I was NOT going through all of that again, so I got a C7 without MRC.

There really aren't many C7 convertibles in San Diego (almost everyone here is a Euro snob and will only drive MB, Audi, BWM, Porsche, etc), so it draws a surprising amount of attention. I'd get maybe 1-2 compliments a week with the XLR, and I get about 5 a week with the C7. But as time goes on, there will be more and more C7s on the road- and they will be pretty generic. There WILL NOT be more XLRs on the road, so you won't have that issue ;-)

Congrats! The XTS is super luxurious car! Half price is bargain for such a new model, especially with the warranty.
Is there an XTS forum similar to the XLR forum?

There is one decent XTS-themed forum, but none that can come close to this one for friendliness, civility, and collective technical knowledge. This is a gem of an automotive site.

Our go-to guy,,,,

"This is a gem of an automotive site."

And you CC, are the brilliant diamond that keeps us technically informed......

Don't ever leave us!

Let's see pix of your c7!

I'm a long time Vette girl, and I love mine. The XLR, which I just got recently, is an entirely different animal, I agree.

The XLR is more a "sleeper" you can surprise people with, yes? :)

btw When I flew in to pick up my c7, I took CDs with me. Yeah, I was clueless. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I gave everyone at the dealership a good laugh, myself included!

Here's mine...

Sugar.jpg

Hi oyealiz!
You have excellent taste in cars......I also have an arctic white C7 non-Z51.
Looks like you have the adrenaline red interior, I have kalahari ;-)

CIMG2771.jpgboth cars.jpgCIMG2766.jpg

Curious if you have noticed any other differences beyond the ones I listed?

Hi oyealiz!
You have excellent taste in cars......I also have an arctic white C7 non-Z51.
Looks like you have the adrenaline red interior, I have kalahari ;-)

View attachment 5561View attachment 5560View attachment 5559

Curious if you have noticed any other differences beyond the ones I listed?

Ah yes, the best color! ;)

Some of the big differences, you already noted. I have always lowered my vettes, but will not be lowering my c7. It's already much lower than the XLR.

The c7 sounds a lot better (although I'd like it to be louder!) since I have the NPP exhaust. I plan to add something to the XLR so I can hear it!

I think the passenger especially probably has more room in the XLR. I'm usually the driver, though, so who cares. :D :lol:

The XLR definitely has a lot more trunk if you don't put the top down. However, I like to be able to drop top at a moment's notice, so I tend to leave the partition in the position where I can do that.

Driving my XLR is a totally different experience than my c7 because the c7 is manual. I love the rev match on the c7. It just sounds cool! ha!

I am not a fan of the adaptive cruise control. Maybe just need to change the settings, but as it is right now, I don't care for it.

I need to get pix of the two together, like you have!

Yep, black convertible top.
I tried to order the dark blue convertible top, but the dealer flat out refused since they said that color combo would make re-sale impossible (what the heck?? especially since I put down a $10k deposit to order it...should have been able to get whatever I wanted)

Although, now that I have it- the black is fine....doesn't show any dirt or creases like the blue

Oh, I'm shocked you don't like the adaptive cruise control in the XLR. It is a little weird at first to let the car take control on the freeway, but it is SOOOOOO nice once you get used to it.
It's super, super accurate and reliable (especially for speeds above 40 mph). Never had an issue using it over the entire 6 years.

The cruise control for the C7 just seems fiddly (steering wheel buttons are in a strange place) and old technology (same cruise control you'd find on a 1991 Honda Accord).

You should totally get the Corsa exhaust for your XLR!!! They go for around $1500. That was one regret for something I never did while owning my XLR. Was concerned that a potential owner would want everything stock. Should have just had it installed as soon as I bought the car in 2009, enjoyed the exhaust for 6 years, and swap it back to OEM before the sale.

How many miles do you have on your C7? Have you had any reliability issues? I have a weird thing where the passenger side window goes up and then automatically goes down- need to have the dealership look at it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom