Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Some things worth knowing when traveling in KY

Phrede

Seasoned Member
There are a few Crown Vics left in the fleet but many of the State Police cruisers look like this
new_cruiser.jpg

KY honors concealed carry licenses issued by any other state.
It is legal to have a loaded firearm in a factory installed compartment such as a glove compartment or center console WITHOUT any special permit or license. I strongly suggest that if pulled over you advise the officer first thing if you are armed.

The speed limit on unmarked state highways is 55MPH

KY is divided into two time zones, Eastern and Central times. Bowling Green is in the Central Time Zone. About the 72 mile marker on I-65 is the line between the two time zones. All of KY observes daylight savings time.

KY has Wet, Dry an Moist counties with regard to alcohol. Alcohol is not legal in any way in dry counties. Special towns, venues and/or events may have alcohol in moist counties, other conditions may apply. Wet counties are like what most out of state visitors are used to. I strongly suggest you do not test this rule if you find yourself in a dry county. Most places understand you are not aware of the rules and will give you a break. Others, not so much. While Bowling Green is wet, Warren County outside the city limits is Dry. Do not be surprised that you will not be able to order a beer with lunch in some places.

http://www.rampantbrands.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/areas-we-serve-ky.pdf

In wet areas in KY cold beer can be purchased most anywhere. Wine and Liquor requires a visit to a liquor store. Liquor stores are privately run, not State stores as in some states. Larger grocery stores have a separate section, with a separate entrance for this. It is not uncommon to find small stores that sell basic supplies; Gasoline, Beer, Tobacco, Jerky, Ammunition and Penthouse magazines.

Smoking in restaurants is allowed in most areas. A very few counties have banned it. More popular/larger restaurants will have separate sections. Smaller restaurants will have an ashtray on every table.

In some areas the US routes are split. ie. US31E and US31W are separate roads that run North and South. 31E does NOT go East!

"My Old Kentucky Home" is the state song and is taken seriously. Do not be surprised if it is played everyone will stand remove their hats and know all the words. It is just tradition. I suggest if found in this situation to stand and remain silent for minute or so.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip. I am a life long resident and am willing to answer any questions you may have. Welcome!

There are a few Crown Vics left in the fleet but many of the State Police cruisers look like this
new_cruiser.jpg

KY honors concealed carry licenses issued by any other state.
It is legal to have a loaded firearm in a factory installed compartment such as a glove compartment or center console WITHOUT any special permit or license. I strongly suggest that if pulled over you advise the officer first thing if you are armed.

The speed limit on unmarked state highways is 55MPH

KY is divided into two time zones, Eastern and Central times. Bowling Green is in the Central Time Zone. About the 72 mile marker on I-65 is the line between the two time zones. All of KY observes daylight savings time.

KY has Wet, Dry an Moist counties with regard to alcohol. Alcohol is not legal in any way in dry counties. Special towns, venues and/or events may have alcohol in moist counties, other conditions may apply. Wet counties are like what most out of state visitors are used to. I strongly suggest you do not test this rule if you find yourself in a dry county. Most places understand you are not aware of the rules and will give you a break. Others, not so much. While Bowling Green is wet, Warren County outside the city limits is Dry. Do not be surprised that you will not be able to order a beer with lunch in some places.

http://www.rampantbrands.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/areas-we-serve-ky.pdf

In wet areas in KY cold beer can be purchased most anywhere. Wine and Liquor requires a visit to a liquor store. Liquor stores are privately run, not State stores as in some states. Larger grocery stores have a separate section, with a separate entrance for this. It is not uncommon to find small stores that sell basic supplies; Gasoline, Beer, Tobacco, Jerky, Ammunition and Penthouse magazines.

Smoking in restaurants is allowed in most areas. A very few counties have banned it. More popular/larger restaurants will have separate sections. Smaller restaurants will have an ashtray on every table.

In some areas the US routes are split. ie. US31E and US31W are separate roads that run North and South. 31E does NOT go East!

"My Old Kentucky Home" is the state song and is taken seriously. Do not be surprised if it is played everyone will stand remove their hats and know all the words. It is just tradition. I suggest if found in this situation to stand and remain silent for minute or so.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip. I am a life long resident and am willing to answer any questions you may have. Welcome!

Thanks Fred good to know for us with the IRON FOOT!!!
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

As I recall, Kevin, several others and I all made unexpected, substantial "donations" to your state on the way to a rendezvous in Bowling Green.

Bob

It was a worthwhile donation in my opinion, as opposed to being jailed, having the cars impounded and missing the Rendezvous dinner!! That's just my opinion though!! :lol::lol:

Somewhere at home, I have a pic of the offenders that have since been named 'The 100MPH Club':laugh::laugh: If memory serves me right, Popbigguy is part of this group!

As I recall, Kevin, several others and I all made unexpected, substantial "donations" to your state on the way to a rendezvous in Bowling Green.

Bob

It was a worthwhile donation in my opinion, as opposed to being jailed, having the cars impounded and missing the Rendezvous dinner!! That's just my opinion though!! :lol::lol:

Somewhere at home, I have a pic of the offenders that have since been named 'The 100MPH Club':laugh::laugh: If memory serves me right, Popbigguy is part of this group!

Sounds as if you were dealing with a State Trooper rather than a local LEO and had the proper attitude. They are generally more professional. While I welcome all contributions to the local economy, I hope you don't have a repeat opportunity.

That's right Cubby!!! We were the "gang of six". If I remember how many there were of us right. I thought it was a "BIG" donation! :laugh:

Found the pic!

Found the pic of the six! This was before our meeting with Kentucky's 'finest'. Sorry no after pic we were drowning our sorrows at the Cadillac dinner afterwards:lol:

midwest6-100mphclub.jpg

That's right Cubby!!! We were the "gang of six". If I remember how many there were of us right. I thought it was a "BIG" donation! :laugh:

Did ONE trooper stop all SIX of you guys?

Yep!!! And he was going the other way on the four lane highway! :chuckle See if I can get the picture of the Trooper in here,,,, It's a little fuzzy,,,,,, didn't want to get him anymore PO'ed at us. My son, Tim, took the picture trying to hide the camera.

View attachment 2904

Here's another picture just before we got nabbed,,, going an little slower,,,,..
View attachment 2905

Remember all that Cubby?

Chad

Yes he did. After he turned around, he went past us and block the road a mile ahead of us. Then he had backup arrive! The cars are fast, but not faster than a Motorola Radio! :laugh::laugh:

Did ONE trooper stop all SIX of you guys?

Yes he did. After he turned around, he went past us and block the road a mile ahead of us. Then he had backup arrive! The cars are fast, but not faster than a Motorola Radio! :laugh::laugh:

That's funny I tell everyone that " nothing's faster than Motorola" when they talk about running. :chuckle

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom