Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

SWAY BAR

JW7

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR.... 2001 DTS...2009 AUDI A4 CABRIOLET
Hi all...I know there has been much discussion about Sway Bars in this forum, but as a novice car enthusiast I have some confusion that I was not able to clarify in the threads..
Basically, I am asking about the difference in the feel of the ride with and without a rear Sway Bar..And the necessity for installing one..
I drive mostly conservatively but on occasion push the pedal..
One mechanic told me it will stiffen the ride..
Best place to clarify the answer is here with you all....thoughts?

Last edited:
After installing the rear sway bar, I never noticed the ride becoming stiffer, just better planted with less body roll during high-speed cornering. As cheap as this mod is to do, (you can install it yourself) it's well worth the time and expense.

CC :wave:

The rear sway bar will not stiffen the ride. What it will do is help keep the rear of the car parallel to the road in the turns. It will help prevent body roll . IN a straight line when you run over a bump wit hone rear wheel , you may feel it a tad more . I really do not know why XLR does not have one other than the ride height and mag shocks should do the same thing when in perfect working order. However I feel they lose a lot with age and mileage.

After installing the rear sway bar, I never noticed the ride becoming stiffer, just better planted with less body roll during high-speed cornering. As cheap as this mod is to do, (you can install it yourself) it's well worth the time and expense.

CC :wave:

Also 100% my experience. Very worthwhile mod.

The manager of the Bowling Green plant who had the XLR canned told me they didn't put a rear sway bar on the base XLR to save weight & to differentiate it from the V. That answer told me how litttle he knew about the XLR because (1) the V didn't show up until 2 years after the base & there's a whole lot bigger difference between the V & the base than that (like 120+ horses...) & (2) the weight of the sway bar is not that great. So it's still a mystery....

Think I got my answer..as usual..thank you for your input..

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back