Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tech 2

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
Before I actually need a Tech 2 I plan to purchase one, however there seems to be quite a number on the open market. Could someone give me direction for a past experience, good or bad? Is there a correct part number or is it an order by specific car and what extras are needed for complete functionality? Thanks

To connect a TECH II to your car you'll need the actual TECH II and a CANDI module along with the corresponding OBDII connector. The TECH II will have a 32mb PCM/CIA card with most of GM cars on it. In my case it contains vehicles up to 2013. When connected properly, upon bootup it will run a self diagnostic check on itself, then will give options to select the proper vehicle. It's a very powerful tool and CAN disable your vehicle if not used correctly.

Thanks Rexter! There are so may on the market I don't want to make a $300 mistake and buy a total piece of junk. I'm looking forward to the spring and some reasonable weather to bring my XLR out into the sun light...

If you're looking at a Chinese knock-off, be sure and do your due diligence and make sure everything you need comes with it. It took me about a month to get the 32mb card that should have come with mine but didn't. Fortunately I was lucky to get a good customer service person that had a good use of the English language

Thanks Rexster, I do understand that the Tech 2 is a very dynamic tool for diagnostic, but can it also change the parameters within the individual computers? For example eliminate day time running lights, speed limiter and other more dynamic setting?

I've not had any luck finding any settings to disable the DRLs. Haven't drilled down far enough to find anything about your other questions

Thanks for your reply Rexster. My thoughts are that these parameters are not reconfigurable. But I do plan to give it a try!

drl

Used to be you could turn off the drl with one click up on the ebrake on most cars. I have not tried it . I wired a switch on mine to turn them off before I installed the leds. I have read some say its the law that they are on during the day but 1/2 the new jap imports I see during the day don't have them on.

Tech II

So what is a good brand to buy, and what will I need for servicing an XLR in the future ?

Last edited:
Try ebay and this in search.
[h=1]GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner with TIS2000 Software Full Package without Carrying Case[/h]

VCI Module

To connect a TECH II to your car you'll need the actual TECH II and a CANDI module along with the corresponding OBDII connector. The TECH II will have a 32mb PCM/CIA card with most of GM cars on it. In my case it contains vehicles up to 2013. When connected properly, upon bootup it will run a self diagnostic check on itself, then will give options to select the proper vehicle. It's a very powerful tool and CAN disable your vehicle if not used correctly.

Do the Chinese knockoffs come with the VCI Module installed in the unit?

Mine came with everything but the software PCM/CIA card originally. It was supposed to contain that as well, and took me a month to get it. Make sure you print out the webpage that you order from in case you have a problem like I did. Make sure the CANDI module is included.

Tech2 or Bust

Hey Folks!
I’m sure I am beating a dead horse here, but I have had some confusion choosing a tech2.
When asking specific questions to customer support, they all seem to say, “Yes that one is the one you want”. The trouble is they say it to all of them.

The link here seems to include the SCANTOOL, TIS2000, CANDI and a 32mb card. Can someone chime in here and let me know if this appears to be all that I need.

I’ve looked at at so many different combinations that my head is spinning.

This is the link I found to be the best value: New GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner For GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden Tech 2 with Carton Box

Thanks in advance.

Hey Folks!
I’m sure I am beating a dead horse here, but I have had some confusion choosing a tech2.
When asking specific questions to customer support, they all seem to say, “Yes that one is the one you want”. The trouble is they say it to all of them.

The link here seems to include the SCANTOOL, TIS2000, CANDI and a 32mb card. Can someone chime in here and let me know if this appears to be all that I need.

I’ve looked at at so many different combinations that my head is spinning.

This is the link I found to be the best value: New GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner For GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden Tech 2 with Carton Box

Thanks in advance.

I don't see the PCMCIA 32mb card in the pictures. From my dealings, if it aint in the pictures, it aint in the box. It took an extra month for them to send the card. I purchased mine from a different vendor. I never could get the TIS2000 software to work either. From a WIN 98 machine to WIN 10 machine.

I don't see the PCMCIA 32mb card in the pictures. From my dealings, if it aint in the pictures, it aint in the box. It took an extra month for them to send the card. I purchased mine from a different vendor. I never could get the TIS2000 software to work either. From a WIN 98 machine to WIN 10 machine.

Here another Link - including 32 MB Memory Card:

2018 For G M TECH Full Set Support 6 Software(forG M,for OPEL,forSAAB ISUZUSUZUKI,HOLDEN) for Tech 2 Scanner+Candi Free Shipping-in Car Diagnostic Cables & Connectors from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I have a bad thermistor in my top motor. I get an error "Top Temp to Hot". But the motor doesn't get hot and the trunk opens fine.
Can I disable the "Top Temp" error with the Tech 2?

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back