Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Test your Mechanical Knowledge.

Mountsberg, Ontario, Ca., winters: Port Charlotte
My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic
Hi all,
Fred posted this on Face Book initally, I thought you may all like it.

I took the test and got Certified Auto Mechanic although I did not get a perfect score I missed one question (10 out of 11) as I was not sure about one question based on the way it was asked and chose wrong. Never said I was perfect. :D

Anyway, take the quiz by clicking below. Don't worry if a girl beat you boys: man up and post your results! I have been a 'car girl' forever and these are basic questions you would know if you played with classic cars like I do. DON'T ask me questions about the new electronic stuff like our XLR's as I will fail!

Have fun! :willy_nilly:

Can You Answer 11 Basic Auto Mechanic Questions? True or False

Got the same score Sandy did :twist: (thanks for the education Dad!). For some reason I goobered up the radiator question. :pat: Neat quiz!

Thanks for posting the link to this quiz, Sandy.

I got all eleven, but then again, I've owned the same old 66 GTO for 42 years!

I guess it pays to be an old fart
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji106]
Congratulations! You passed this basic auto mechanic quiz but it doesn't mean you should go fix your friend's car. This is just a fun quiz to test your basic auto mechanical knowledge. So be proud and share it with your friends and see if they know as much about cars as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I guess it pays to be an old fart
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji57][emoji106]
Congratulations! You passed this basic auto mechanic quiz but it doesn't mean you should go fix your friend's car. This is just a fun quiz to test your basic auto mechanical knowledge. So be proud and share it with your friends and see if they know as much about cars as you.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

So what is a 'Pass'? Not that I am judging you Dan......I'm just askin'

I don't know for sure Sandy but I'm predicting I got all the correct answer????

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I don't know for sure Sandy but I'm predicting I got all the correct answer????

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes, probably. I went back and re-did the test 'perfectly' and it said what you posted below where it said "Certified Auto Mechanic".

So then I re-took the test and I purposely answered a bunch of questions wrong and this was the response"
[h=3]Clueless Auto Mechanic![/h]Sorry you failed to get at least 6 of these questions right. So next time when your car is acting up, call a real mechanic and don't' try to fix it yourself. :rolleyes:

Regardless, you don't have to have lots of mechanical knowledge to own and love your XLR. Hopefully you do have good skills at polishing and driving: an XLR Lover :love: - not a Wrencher :bash: ! (*didn't have a mechanic Smilie, just a guy with a hammer :laugh:)

Come on everyone: take the test and post your results.....if you do poorly just post that your are a LOVER!

I'm feeling smarter this morning, just aced it. Yet I remember from an earlier survey here, I'm one of the few here who doesn't even change his own oil.
Bruce

are you shy?

Funny: there has been 132 views of this post and only a handful of people post to it. You KNOW that likely 4 out of 5 people will click on the link and take the test. A large qty of those 132 views would be non registered members so they could not respond.

None the less, there are a bunch of member who don't want to post their results so I am going to guess that A: they don't want to brag :D or D: they just don't know that mechanical stuff and won't admit it to a lower score! :rolleyes:

Just sayin'

I took it and got them all right. However, IMHO it was only a very basic set of questions that really anyone who drives should know about their car. Not so sure i agree with some of the answers, especially the radiator one. A radiator is a heat exchanger that is only part of the cooling system where the coolant transfers engine heat.

11 out of 11 correct

a couple of the questions seemed like trick questions but got them all right anyway.:cool:

got 'em all correct also

but I've been doing this a long time too. With 2 XLR's, a 'Vette and a '72 Nova SS i don;t trust many to work on any of 'em.

Wow, I'm a "Certified Auto Mechanic" : )

Do I get an ASE shoulder badge? No? Bummer :squint: So what have I been up to lately? Ans., spinning spanners on The Eldorado. :wave:Steering Box Seals had dried out and was leaking. Now fixed and almost done putting it all back together. Just installed new Power Steering Hoses after flushing the system and installed a filter in the return line (recommended). Cleaned and painted everything as I went. Next job? Disassemble the upper and lower A-Arms and install new bushings plus shocks and all new sway bar bushings. Yes, Polyurethane on the sway bar. Plus, again, clean and paint everything. A time consuming job to replace the A-Arm Bushes as everything must come off including all four arms, and dropping the radius bars. Ugh. As our cars age, and sit, little used, the bushings and seals dry out and deteriorate. Just part of the deal I guess? But I do like 'the results'. :) Cool cars rule!

A bit of trivia. Did you know that G.M. Recommends the Power Steering Hoses be replaced every 5 years? They also recommend the filter in the return line be installed even though they did not supply it when new. Go figure?

Do I get an ASE shoulder badge? No? Bummer :squint: So what have I been up to lately? Ans., spinning spanners on The Eldorado. :wave:Steering Box Seals had dried out and was leaking. Now fixed and almost done putting it all back together. Just installed new Power Steering Hoses after flushing the system and installed a filter in the return line (recommended). Cleaned and painted everything as I went. Next job? Disassemble the upper and lower A-Arms and install new bushings plus shocks and all new sway bar bushings. Yes, Polyurethane on the sway bar. Plus, again, clean and paint everything. A time consuming job to replace the A-Arm Bushes as everything must come off including all four arms, and dropping the radius bars. Ugh. As our cars age, and sit, little used, the bushings and seals dry out and deteriorate. Just part of the deal I guess? But I do like 'the results'. :) Cool cars rule!

A bit of trivia. Did you know that G.M. Recommends the Power Steering Hoses be replaced every 5 years? They also recommend the filter in the return line be installed even though they did not supply it when new. Go figure?

Are you talking about your Eldorado or our XLRS or both ?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Good Question. Clarification : )

Are you talking about your Eldorado or our XLRS or both ?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Hi Dan, :wave:

This, was regarding The Eldorado. I.e., 'replacing the power steering hoses every five years'. I ordered and have the 3" thick original 1979 Factory Dealer Service Department repair manual. This information was contained in the General Information Section of that chapter regarding the Steering System. Today's more modern vehicles, I believe, are generally more reliable and better engineered for trouble free longer term usage.

However, whether then (1979) or newer, all sources I came across for parts now recommend that 'if and when' one should change the hoses, Eldorado, XLR, or whatever; that a filter be installed in the return line back to the pump or steering rack and that the system be flushed before installing any filter. This to purge and then catch any metal particles that may lead to future premature wear and or failure.

Since The Eldorado was leaking both at the Steering Box and one hose as well (a real mess), I just did it all. They were the original hoses from 1979.

Regardless of the factory recommendation in the book on The Eldorado, I overall am an advocate of the statement, "If it isn't broken, then don't fix it". :rolleyes:

Hope this provides clarification. Good question :).

Top Down Cruising Ahead!

According to whom? Don't remember seeing this in any service manual.

Probably Not. ?

According to whom? Don't remember seeing this in any service manual.

You are right of course. I agree with you 100%. :cool: Glad you let me know. Thanks! I have been wrong once or twice before, so probably am again? Maybe it really didn't say that in the 79' Service Manual? I must have read it wrong.:dunno:

Cool picture of your XLR. I like the background graphics, Very creative.

Have a nice day!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back