Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

THANK GOD FOR LITTLE OLD LADIES!

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
I bought my 2005 Xenon Blue XLR on Dec. 3rd 2013 after seeing my first one live in June of that year.

As a long time car collector, I was aware of the XLR but never considered one when they were released. I was still deeply in a Mercedes, Ferrari and Morgan phase and just never considered a XLR in the mid 2000’s.

Until I saw my first one on a fateful day in June.

I was stunned by its beauty.

The incredible lines, the plush interior, the technology, the sound, the top…the whole enchilada floored me to say the least.
So I found this site and started the extreme analysis portion of buying one. I read every post ever on this site going back to day one. I then did the same thing with the XLR Forum and the Cadillac owners site.

To digress, I learned a long time ago that car collecting is NOT about the intrinsic value of the machine. Buying and selling cars is simply about the buyers concept of what he or she will look like in the car…not what the car looks like. Then there is the performance crowd who just wants horsepower they will never use, torque they will never really understand and a willingness to spend $3,000 for a tuneup (Ferrari style). When I visualized myself in the XLR I saw a $500 haircut on a $5 head. I saw paint three feet thick dripping with class. I heard a primal scream at 4400 rpms and felt a confidence and stability I never matched with any other road warrior I had ever owned. To feel 140 mph without a trace of white knuckled trepidation was very satisfying.

And now to the little old lady.

I searched every web site, car collector friend, lease company and car dealer I could find looking for the perfect car. I looked at every configuration of a XLR available from later model V’s to a Neiman Marcus piece I found in Miami. I got excited about a 2008 V in Boulder, Co until the owner showed up at the airport with a black on black v with 83000 miles, massive tattoos and the overwhelming aroma of hippie lettuce.

That's when I found the woman of my dreams.

I drove up to a massive home on a massive piece of land less than 20 miles from my home on a chilly December day. We walked into a huge barn. There was a $2,500,000 Prevost coach, Four 60’s model Corvettes, boats and everything else. And there sat a Blue X with minimal miles. I asked her why she bought it and she said “I had just begun a divorce proceeding and knew I would be back on the market so I felt a new piece of jewelry would be appropriate.”

She shot me a quick price. I kicked it back $10,000 and she said I’m a big fan and I think you driving it would make us both look good (why she said that is next). I wrote the check, took the fobs, gave her a big hug and drove off into the sunset.

Now this little old lady is 53 years old, stunningly attractive and owns 19 Sonic restaurants with real estate values alone of at least $2,000,000 per unit which is proof of the fact that it is always far easier to negotiate price with someone who doesn’t need money.

By way of personal introduction, I am an unreconstructed hippie spawned from the sixties who has spent my entire working life in show business. Songwriter, rock and roll star, record producer and since 1993 host of the top rated radio and tv talk shows in Tennessee and significant areas of America. I get calls every day from Miami to Boston, New York to Nova Scotia, Phoenix to Philadelphia and Frogjump Tennessee. I live in the woods with my wife and menagerie halfway between Hank Williams and Elvis on Interstate 40.

You can hear the show anywhere in the world by downloading an app called ’TUNEIN’ for iPhone or droid. I do pure stream of consciousness radio where anything goes and the music is different than anything you will ever hear. From “The Civil Wars’ to Hendrix, if you don’t hear it on my show it has never been recorded. The show is on from 8 to 11 AM cst Monday thru Friday. When you activate Tunein just go to WNWS at 101.5 FM in Jackson, TN. and mark it.

I particularly hope you will check in Rob at 1-800-304-1015. We’ll talk everything from Cadillacs to the internet and all between.

I apologize for the length but talk show hosts do tend to wax effusively with minimal provocation.

And by the way, the car is everything I expected and more.

Thank God for little old ladies.

Interesting reading... not that long in the tongue, however. Loved the story... may even have to tune in one of these days!!! And, I would be remiss if I didn't invite you personally to the MT rocket run in August, 2014. You can check out the thread here:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php/6668-Montana-Rocket-Run-2014
That is, if you haven't already... :blinzel:

Nice story, but little old lady at 53 years old? :( I could see maybe 63 or 73, but seriously unless she looked tired and haggard;). Better if you had said, "middle aged."

Nice story, but little old lady at 53 years old? :( I could see maybe 63 or 73, but seriously unless she looked tired and haggard;). Better if you had said, "middle aged."

Middle aged, old. Perhaps that would depend on how old BUKI is...:blinzel:

Geez, I will be celebrating my 57th birthday in a couple weeks and I DO NOT consider myself a little old lady :burnout:

Beyond that, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of XLRs!

Last edited:
In reality I used the "little old lady' metaphor to recognize the incredible care a lady like her took of the car.

Lets face it...she could have bought a very nice multicarat diamond ring instead of a car for her new piece of jewelry.

During the search for my car I encountered several guys between 35-54 who had beat their XLRs like a rented mule. The typical thought of a little old lady is an 85 year old widow from Pasadena with a stock deuce coupe in the garage.

I look forward with interacting with all of you in the coming months. Obviously there may not be many of us. But Jeez we're a loyal bunch.

BTW...I notice the absence of Cadillac Tech from the forum recently. In going back over the 9 years this site has existed he played a huge role in convincing me to by my XLR.

Is his absence indicative of a lack of interest in these beautiful cars?

Or, as a dealer employee, has he moved on to the new sedans and the c6 Vettes?

In reality I used the "little old lady' metaphor to recognize the incredible care a lady like her took of the car.

Lets face it...she could have bought a very nice multicarat diamond ring instead of a car for her new piece of jewelry.

During the search for my car I encountered several guys between 35-54 who had beat their XLRs like a rented mule. The typical thought of a little old lady is an 85 year old widow from Pasadena with a stock deuce coupe in the garage.

I look forward with interacting with all of you in the coming months. Obviously there may not be many of us. But Jeez we're a loyal bunch.

Weak recovery.........but your are forgiven. ;)
Enjoy your car. I sure wish I had mine here in Florida but it is tucked in for the winter up north.

BTW...I notice the absence of Cadillac Tech from the forum recently. In going back over the 9 years this site has existed he played a huge role in convincing me to by my XLR.

Is his absence indicative of a lack of interest in these beautiful cars?

Or, as a dealer employee, has he moved on to the new sedans and the c6 Vettes?

Cadillac Tech ( Bruce) does own Corvette but not own a XLR, but loves them and know's how to repair them, but don't think for a moment that he's not a big fan because he is! He headed up a lot of BG Ky. trip this past 2013 Homecoming Event! He may just be very busy at times when you don't see him on here but he may be lurking in the shadows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Geez, I will be celebrating my 57th birthday in a couple weeks and I DO NOT consider myself a little old lady :burnout:

Beyond that, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of XLRs!

Well Happy Birthday Sandy we share the same age I'll be 57 July 10th also!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

1957 was and AWESOME year! Not only I was born in 57 but there are a TON of great cars released for the 1957 model years, think: '57 ANYTHING! 1957 Chevy Bel Air, 1957 Cadillac, 1957 Corvettes, the original 1957 Harley Davidson Sportster etc.... need I say more???!???! :dunno:

BTW: Grand Daddy & MT Rocket: I beat you to it :D :D :D :burnout:

Awe yes every car from 57 my dad had a 57 Oldsmobile don't know why but everything from that year was just great! I mean look at us right! Hehehe!!!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Awe yes every car from 57 my dad had a 57 Oldsmobile don't know why but everything from that year was just great! I mean look at us right! Hehehe!!!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes, I failed to mention the 57 Olds, wicked cool car; even though I onwed an 57 Fiesta Wagon up until last year........
(check out my albums, Eddie was a great old Oldsmobile and is now in a great new 'loving' home in Pennsylvania......... but I still get to see him at Syracuse Nationals!)

Little Old Lady

I think my purchase falls under this category , my seller was a "Little Old Lady" of 90 from St Paul MN. She put a grand total of 178 miles on the car before she sold it.

Ok I think you can pass with that one!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Whoa Nelly! I told you why my little old lady bought hers. Why on earth would a 90 year old buy an x? Did she inherit it from a 95 year old deceased husband? If she's still alive I count her at 95 now. Incredible. And 128 miles is even weirder.

I think my purchase falls under this category , my seller was a "Little Old Lady" of 90 from St Paul MN. She put a grand total of 178 miles on the car before she sold it.

I put more miles on my car than that... just getting it home from the dealer.

I remember looking at a vehicle in North Carolina years ago and being assured the high mileage car with the shiny worn pedals was just driven by a little old lady to church on Sunday. “Would be that she had lived closer to her congregation,” I remarked.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom