Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The Cadillac XLR was no Luxury Corvette?

Rob

Seasoned Member
Staff member
Site Administrator
My XLR/V(s)
Not yet!
So, I received an interesting email today from a friend of mine with a link to an "editorial" published on a car web site regarding the Cadillac XLR, and my friend wanted to know what I thought.

Here are my thoughts: in this day and age, with information as easily obtainable as getting a drink of water from a faucet, there is no excuse for writing a piece of garbage with misleading facts.

With that said, I'm curious what our members think of this piece of..... "online literature" regarding the Cadillac XLR:

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/12/16/The-Cadillac-XLR-was-no-Luxury-Corvette-7717625/

I think its kinda like the super bird from plymouth back in the day. Either you liked them or you hated them. On top of that the caddy reputation of the day, created bias from not only euro writers, but american also. I figure we (owners) are all biased to start with or we wouldn't have them, so our opinions aren't likely to mesh with the mainstream, today or especially past. Personally, I haven't drove the competition to compare. All I know is I wouldn't trade mine for any car I have ever seen or owned, with the caveat that I might trade for the money the other car could represent and then buy another xlr, since there are many extremely nice, low mileage cars to replace mine.

So, I received an interesting email today from a friend of mine with a link to an "editorial" published on a car web site regarding the Cadillac XLR, and my friend wanted to know what I thought.

Here are my thoughts: in this day and age, with information as easily obtainable as getting a drink of water from a faucet, there is no excuse for writing a piece of garbage with misleading facts.

With that said, I'm curious what our members think of this piece of..... "online literature" regarding the Cadillac XLR:

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/12/16/The-Cadillac-XLR-was-no-Luxury-Corvette-7717625/

Maybe if he OWNED one, he'd feel differently???? Let's hope so...

Editorial? - A couple sentences and a few pics.

Certainly everyone is entitled to an opinion. I was replacing a C5 and going after a C6 when I bought my XLR. Certainly the XLR is one of the best all around touring cars I've owned and I've had several (C2, C3, C5, BMW 2002, BMW 320i, Mercedes....). I've had cheaper, faster, smoother, sexier, quieter......however, considering all measure, the XLR is A++ in my opinion. Haters are Haters and Mitsubishis aren't for everyone.

You really do have to wonder if the writer ever spent any time driving an XLR; I mean a real test, having the car for a week or so and doing some serious driving? I too do not have much hands on experience with many of its competitors and suspect myself to be bias on the side of the XLR as I own one. But I also own and have owned many classic and performance cars and I agree it would take something short of a miracle to make me give up my XLR.

You know how the saying goes: Opinions are like a@@holes: we all have on!

To me, you either want a Corvette or you want a XLR, & they are two entirely different cars. It's somewhat unfortunate they were made in the same plant, because that contributes to the whole mess of whether or not the XLR is trying to masquerade as a Corvette.

I wanted something unique looking & that could give performance as needed. Comfortable ride would just be a bonus. The XLR does all of this. If I wanted something that cost less & just to tear up the pavement, there are plenty of other options.

To each their own & I'm probably just a little biased ...

But how many times even to this day do you get people asking you what is it? Or that is one nice car is it a new model? How many BMW or Corvette owners can say that on a car that is ten years old. Pure style and class, that is what I say. And most of all, EVERY XLR owner I have ever met has always been fun to be with.

I knew when the XLR first came out I wanted one having had an Allante. Before I bought mine I drove both Mercedes hard top convertibles to compare. I did a lot of research learning not only I thought the XLR was by far better but the professional drivers also felt the same way. At least whoever put those comments on the internet had some good pictures.

Yup. My XLR isn't a Mercedes or a BMW. --- So Glad : )

Before I bought my XLR I looked carefully at The Mercedes, and The BMW and did consider one of them albeit briefly. The Mercedes came close, but still became a 'second choice' to The XLR.

First off, I have a bit of an inbuilt bias to American built iron, errrr, fiberglass. I wanted a luxury vehicle that had more modern day amenities and unique styling and features. On Both I liked the idea of a retractable hard top and not having to deal with a new convertible top down the road. To me what pushed me over the edge to The XLR is the unique styling, reading reviews of others who have owned both, and most preferred the XLR. That The XLR is not still being built and therefore more rare in my opinion. Performance to me was comparable, and I felt the comfort of The XLR was superior. In short, all aspects of The XLR appealed to me more; obviously.

Regarding the article, a comment comes to mind; "Opinions are like *** *****, everyone has one". :rolleyes:

I sold my Z06 and bought my XLR. Do I need to say anything else ? :)

xlr butter wax.jpg
Code:

I fell in love the first time I saw this car. I had no hesitation parting with my Z06 to buy this car. I still get people today asking me "what is it?" When I tell them it's a 10 year old Cadillac, there jaws usually drop :)

But how many times even to this day do you get people asking you what is it? Or that is one nice car is it a new model?

If I recall correctly, XLRATING and VICTOR-V had that very experience on their way to Bowling Green!

If I recall correctly, XLRATING and VICTOR-V had that very experience on their way to Bowling Green!

We sure did - immediately followed up with "why?!" when we said they don't make them any more. Don't think we would have gotten the same commentary with a Vette - & don't get me wrong, I like Corvettes, I just REALLY like XLR's in all flavors.

I don't think this qualifies as an editorial or even an article; it's one man's opinion based on four sentences skewed to reinforce his pre-conceived notion. No facts were presented.

Yes, the XLR was way overpriced, regardless of the year in which it was built.

Yes, it was compared to similar type European vehicles with a much longer build history, and while maybe not as refined, it had innovative features the competition lacked (Mag Shocks) for one, a more powerful engine, and styling the others lacked. It takes several generations of a vehicle to dethrone a top competitor. Case in point. The third gen CTS is on par with its BMW counterparts. The XLR received very minimal upgrades throughout it's very short lifespan. It competed against itself.

The XLR is as attractive today as when it first arrived. I am constantly asked (even this morning) what it is. Corvettes are nice looking, but they're a dime a dozen. Because of its clean design, it will be a head-turner for a long time to come. There aren't many cars built in the last twenty years that can claim that distinction.

The XLR came out before the C5, so saying it was based on the C5 is not accurate. It was never marketed against the C5, so comparisons are meaningless.

The XLR was built for one reason: to turn heads and reinforce the point that Cadillac was making a resurgence with its Art & Science theme. It was so well received as a concept car that GM decided to build it with minor. exterior changes. When was the last time you saw Cadillac do that?! I have yet to see a Sixteen, Cien, or Ciel hit the pavement as production vehicles.

The XLR was always meant to be built in small numbers. The declining American economy only hastened its inevitable demise. You need big production/sales numbers to subsidize improvements over the production life of any product. The XLR filled its niche admirably; it and the vehicles that followed saved Cadillac as a brand, at a time when it's existence was being questioned. The Art & Science theme saved Cadillac from going the way of Oldsmobile, Pontiac, & Saturn. The XLR played a starring role in making potential customers sit up and take notice of the Cadillac brand.

For every XLR owner, there are more drivers who wish they were. We drive rolling showcases of style, performance, and automotive innovation. There are lots of cool cars out there. The XLR is one of them.

CC

What I don't understand is why would Cadillac output $$$$ for the '09 restyle of the XLR when they HAD to have known it would be the last year in production??

What I don't understand is why would Cadillac output $$$$ for the '09 restyle of the XLR when they HAD to have known it would be the last year in production??

'cause they knew that I wanted one but I always want something slightly different and the '09 is slightly different from the other years. I love the differences but I know many of 'you' prefer the original styling and think the '09 changes are 'tacky' and over the top......well if you've met me then you realize that so am I ! ;)

Here's one more ignorant piece of fiction from MSN Auto today,

MSN Auto (7/31/14) search "14 WORST CARS OF THE DECADE" Does anyone proofread this unfounded trash , I was in shock when I read this and Rob's original thread. I gave up my Porsche Carrera for my 05' XLR and after a few initial issues and some excellent diagnostics I can safely say this is the best Automobile I have ever owned (last count on personal vehicles was 97 owned and driven). Yea O.K. so I'm old and a obviously wiser and more objective then the aforementioned editors.
In my estimation, The only thing better then the Cadillac XLR is a beautiful woman who likes to drink whiskey!

MSN negative article on The XLR? - Go figure.

MSN Auto (7/31/14) search "14 WORST CARS OF THE DECADE" Does anyone proofread this unfounded trash , I was in shock when I read this and Rob's original thread. I gave up my Porsche Carrera for my 05' XLR and after a few initial issues and some excellent diagnostics I can safely say this is the best Automobile I have ever owned (last count on personal vehicles was 97 owned and driven). Yea O.K. so I'm old and a obviously wiser and more objective then the aforementioned editors.
In my estimation, The only thing better then the Cadillac XLR is a beautiful woman who likes to drink whiskey!

Thanks for the input. I agree with your perspective! I looked at Porsches and The Mercedes 560 SL Roadster. Like you, due to it's uniqueness, reputation for reliabilty (like all vehicles with consistent maintenance) and beauty + comfort I obviously also choose The XLR.
Wherever I go in it I get, "What a beautiful car!", "What is that?". "A Cadillac, Really?" "Do they still make this model?" "I didn't know Cadillac made anything like this!" "Wow!". --- To me, not that there is anything wrong with the 'others per se', but how many Corvettes, Porsche's or Mercedes does one see on the road? How many XLR's?

MSN Auto (7/31/14) search "14 WORST CARS OF THE DECADE" Does anyone proofread this unfounded trash , I was in shock when I read this and Rob's original thread. I gave up my Porsche Carrera.........In my estimation, The only thing better then the Cadillac XLR is a beautiful woman who likes to drink whiskey!

.....or a beautiful woman that loves to ride in your XLR with you the afterwards enjoys a good glass of whiskey...lol

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom