Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Things just aren't what they used to be

Phrede

Seasoned Member
It saddens me to see what this forum has evolved to. When I first came here over 4 years ago it was refreshingly different than most online forums. Helpful comments that were technically correct and knowledgeable were being shared routinely. The helpful intent was obvious. Subjective topics were kept in proper perspective and differences of opinions were handled civilly and often ended in an agreement to disagree. There was a true spirit of comradery. This was a valued resource offering a lot of good information. After meeting a few members "live" at a few different events the group impressed me as being an intelligent, understanding, courteous and welcoming. I regret that personal reasons did not permit me to attend any of this years events and the likelihood of attending future ones is minimal.

Now this is just another "me to" forum with typical online behavior. People only half reading posts before responding. People repeatedly spewing falsehoods and inaccurate information, offering opinions as fact and then taking offense when corrected with the tried and true correct information. Personal attacks, closed mindedness and other "keyboard brave" comments abound. Simply put, too much drama exists. I don't mean to implicate everyone, but the offender percentages are intolerably high. Some online forums provide a way to completely block posters that you may personally find offensive. Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

The reason for the change is really not important other than to say I do not believe Rob the moderator is the reason and appreciate all his efforts. I suspect it is natural progression as the marketable value of the car decreases, owners become less and less professional and that carries over to the posting. After noticing that the activity level of other respected members has drastically reduced I wonder if I'm the only person with this opinion.

That all being said, I find it time for me to move on. I no longer even remotely fit in to the intent or spirit of the group and trying to fit a round peg into a square hole is futile. I normally do not post exit messages and question the reasoning and sincerity behind most, but I wanted to thank the senior members for all their sharing, help and entertaining memories both live and online. My car could not be what it is today nor my experiences as enjoyable without y'all. To you, I bid a fond adieu and wish you all well. I hope that somewhere along the line I too was able to offer helpful posts as well. I look forward to our paths crossing again someday. As I become a "Lone Wolf" I've purged all of my pictures and information except for one as a reminder. The Midwest Marauder label on my window will be my reminder.

Enjoy the good times of today because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

:wave:

Well stated Phred, but

It saddens me to see what this forum has evolved to. When I first came here over 4 years ago it was refreshingly different than most online forums. Helpful comments that were technically correct and knowledgeable were being shared routinely. The helpful intent was obvious. Subjective topics were kept in proper perspective and differences of opinions were handled civilly and often ended in an agreement to disagree. There was a true spirit of comradery. This was a valued resource offering a lot of good information. After meeting a few members "live" at a few different events the group impressed me as being an intelligent, understanding, courteous and welcoming. I regret that personal reasons did not permit me to attend any of this years events and the likelihood of attending future ones is minimal.

Now this is just another "me to" forum with typical online behavior. People only half reading posts before responding. People repeatedly spewing falsehoods and inaccurate information, offering opinions as fact and then taking offense when corrected with the tried and true correct information. Personal attacks, closed mindedness and other "keyboard brave" comments abound. Simply put, too much drama exists. I don't mean to implicate everyone, but the offender percentages are intolerably high. Some online forums provide a way to completely block posters that you may personally find offensive. Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

The reason for the change is really not important other than to say I do not believe Rob the moderator is the reason and appreciate all his efforts. I suspect it is natural progression as the marketable value of the car decreases, owners become less and less professional and that carries over to the posting. After noticing that the activity level of other respected members has drastically reduced I wonder if I'm the only person with this opinion.

That all being said, I find it time for me to move on. I no longer even remotely fit in to the intent or spirit of the group and trying to fit a round peg into a square hole is futile. I normally do not post exit messages and question the reasoning and sincerity behind most, but I wanted to thank the senior members for all their sharing, help and entertaining memories both live and online. My car could not be what it is today nor my experiences as enjoyable without y'all. To you, I bid a fond adieu and wish you all well. I hope that somewhere along the line I too was able to offer helpful posts as well. I look forward to our paths crossing again someday. As I become a "Lone Wolf" I've purged all of my pictures and information except for one as a reminder. The Midwest Marauder label on my window will be my reminder.

Enjoy the good times of today because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

:wave:
It truly is sad to see the deterioration of this wonderful and helpful website, but as you state the world is changing. Too fast for most of us old timers. Since I believe you are still an XLR owner you should stay on this site and continue to share valuable insights about our terrific cars. This site has saved me a lot of time, effort and money in resolving XLR questions and issues.

Stick around Phred :)

JIM

I no longer even remotely fit in to the intent or spirit of the group...

ABSOLUTE NOT! I vehemently disagree, my momma told me so, and there's nothing you can say that will change my mind. State all the facts you can spew from that filthy mouth and I will attack you personally until you yield to my position. You can't come in here and tell these folks you're not just like me and just walk away... come back here and fight, I'm not done with you yet (I may need to resize the offset of my wheels again).

You don't know what you're talking about. My gun may not be bigger than yours, your dogs are probably all bigger than I am, and your car is a work of art, whereas, mine is a beat up racecar, but we're still the same and I'll come down there and say it to your face. Get back in here and fight!

Love,
Giz

Phrede...... I dont often respond to the threads here because I have little knowledge about these cars, and no one cares about my opinion . With that said I do check posts daily to see what is going on. I have enjoyed your input and would hate to see you leave..Just my opinion.......

Ditto to what SJP posted....

p z

Soo, you're leaving because the lower price of a used XLR brings in people not up to your standards?

Doesn't really change your useful information, but I understand, you no longer want to hang around with the riff raff.

Bye.

New here and to the car, that is all true

but I still would like to see people that contribute stick around and the ones that cause trouble keep getting ignored. I know I will need advice and can only hope that the responses and information I get on this site will be positive for me and for anyone else that comes along.

Hope you reconsider and stick around for us newbies... even if we never meet in person...

Wait a minute! Your telling me everything I read on the Internet isn't true! I might have a misdiagnosis then. :(
I thought the website brought xlr enthusiasts together? Must not be your crowd:dunno::wave::lol:

Fred,
I've been on the forum for just 2 years and I can appreciate your sentiments. Folks that would post several times a week and had real insight into these cars have, for many reasons, reduced their participation or have dropped off altogether. CC, mtrocket, Cadillac Tech to name a few. I can't tell you how helpful their posts were to me when I first got the XLR. I do understand, though, that there is a very large knowledge base of information here, much of it posted by those that I just mentioned. I do miss their posts, but understand that everyone has to move on. Perhaps they feel they have contributed as much as they feel they are able, I don't know. I do agree the feel of the site is different, not sure it is worse.
It has been posted several times before, the get togethers and meeting the members here is the best part of being a part of this site. It was your post about the Chinese Tech II's that led me to buy one. Good luck to you.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry