Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

thinking about getting an xlr

newbiexlr

So my dad has an xlr and I have been able to drive it for the past month or so. I was just messing around on cars.com and then I found a ton of 04 and 05 xlrs with less than 30k miles for under 30k.

I am now quite tempted to get one, however I am concerned about issues with the vehicle that may cost me a lot of money in the long run. I have read so far that the tops are a common issue. How common of an issue is it with the early models? Is it true that you can upgrade the firmware so that the position sensors are not as sensitive?

Are there any other common issues with the vehicle that I should expect to go wrong?

Do we know about an average engine/tranny lifespan for the vehicle?

Sorry for all the questions right out of the gate, but just trying to get information from the people who probably know the most about the car.

Happy holidays!

I'll let others respond who have more experience with the XLR than I do, but just wanted to say, welcome to the XLR Net! :)

Just picked up my '04 a month ago and I have to tell ya...Love it! As far as problems, too early for me to tell.

I have an 04 (later 04 production series) which has been, by and large, pretty problem-free. There have been a couple of issues, but nothing too major. No problems with the top or drivetrain....but I have the extended warranty - just in case!

Yes, some have had lots of issues, but some haven't.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. :wave: We had an 04 and didn't have problems with it but like Homegrown we did have extended warranty just incase. The only reason we got rid of the 04 was hubby wanted a V so we got an 06. We have extended warranty with that one also. I would tell you to get one. It is a fun car to drive and all of us on here love driving them. :D

Wow guys thanks for the quick replies. Glad to hear so many positive replies too.

I heard the only warranty to get is the official one that GM offers, and that it is negotiable. Mind sharing what you paid so people know what they might get the dealer down to?

Also if I did get the car, I would be putting miles on it. It would not be a weekend warrior type of thing.

Also no one mentioned if the firmware on the sensors was upgradable. I caught a snippet of something about the top positioning sensors being a bit tight prior to 06 and that you could upgrade the program to loosen it a bit and maybe avoid problems with the top. Anyone know anything about that?

Its really a shame that they discontinued the vehicle. Once you are driving one around its difficult to go back. Right now the wife is driving it and I am stuck in the Civic. Wow, talk about a shock to return to.

I was one with alot of problems. Still wouldn't trade it for anything. There are 4 top position sensors. The one thing I learned is if one goes out replace them all. They are only $80 dollars each or $45 wholesale. once I got them all replaced it has worked flawlessly. Another problem I had is the cruise control module. $1600 dollars retail, $1150 wholesale. They are not cheep when they break but I still wouldn't trade it for anything. Just allow enough for repair if you need it. In one year I've spent about $3600 in repairs but I think that is a worst case for the car's. It has been great for the last 6 months. Getting ready to take her to Tampa next week. I cant wait. It's been a month since the top was down. It was up and down almost every day before that.

earlyxlr

I have an early 04 XLR..and have had my share of problems, all of them repaired at no cost to me and satifactorily. It is a wonderful and unique car.

Top wise I had to get the sensors aligned once shortly after I got the car. Never a top problem since.

The biggest problem was oil consumption..an Northstar problem not unique to the XLR.. Cadillac replaced the right cylinder head.

Had a fluid leak in the transmission..New transmission from Cadillac.

Cadillac replaced the burned headlight assemblies.

All of those problems occured in the first year of service.

Since then have had a few minor bugs and a radiator leak problem..All repaired under warranty.

And everytime I got the car serviced I got a courtesy car..Usually a Cadillac or a Hummer.

The ONLY out of pocket expense has been a set of tires.

The GMPP is the way to go.

I have loved the car since the day I drove it home. If you can get a good used go for it and enjoy and enjoy.. Just get the GMPP if you possibly can.

JIM

I do agree with the warranty, although you can usually get one out of warranty for enough less to justify it. One thing you mentioned was the oil consumption. That is one thing that has amazed me is I try to change oil at about 6 or 7 thousand and it never has used one drop between changes. First northstar that I had that did that, I've had 4 and all used oil ,this is great.

Quality seems to vary more car to car than year to year. When I was shopping I found a beautiful low mileage car. I ran the service history (helps to have a friend at the dealer) and the car had a ton of service work, like the previous owner only went to the dealer and visited the car. I passed, kept looking and found one with higher mileage because the owner was actually able to drive it, excellent service history, plus it was Certified Pre-Owned a huge benefit. The car has been a joy to own. You've been driving your dad's, so you know the car draws attention, just bear that in mind, not always a good thing.
I think you are past the window of a GM warranty, so be cautious with your purchase. I'm not aware of a top software upgrade.
Bruce

Stopped in at Red Noland Cadillac today and they just took in an '04 XLR with just 16,000 miles on it. It is Satin Nickel and you can get a GM Warranty on it. It was traded in on an '09 Brilliant Silver. This car is from Pueblo, Colorado and has been well maintained. I think they said the price is just under $30,000 but don't hold me to that as I am not sure if that is the real price, it could have been just under $31,000.00. I can assure you Red Noland is very careful of what they trade for. I have dealt with them for 35 years. If you want to contact them I can email you their phone number and I am sure they will be happy to supply you with a service history. They are no doubt the best Cadillac dealer I have used in the United States and I do travel a lot and get my cars serviced or just washed while on the road. Dale Gravelle is the person to contact at Red Noland if you are interested.

Oilconsumption

Since I had the work done on the engine early in 2005 I have never added one quart of oil between oil changes that I do annually since I never get below 30% left on the oil indicator. Mileage has varied from 5k to 7K..Obviously the engine repair done back then was successful..

I had 2 other Northstar equipped cars and never used oil in them either.. My neighbor's Northstar used about a quart every 3000 miles from the day he bought it til he finally traded it in.

Look carefully and find a good one..There is no other car on the road like XLR!

JIM

Hi Xlr Forum Members,
We are new forum members and retro Thunderbird owners and hopefully XLR owners within 2010. We would love to own both. Have been reading all your threads and getting great information. We love the XLR and are Looking for a 2006 to be a big brother to our Merlot T-bird.
Roger and Bonnie Benischek
New Orleans

Hi and welcome to the site. We bought a 2006 last summer and there are still a lot of them out there. Seems more to choose from in Dallas than anywhere else in Texas. Try and get one from a Cadillac dealer with a CPO warranty if you can.

if you can get an extended warranty. i have an 04 and love it. i have had some work done on warranty but all in all i love it. i also was told that they stopped making them. 90 was the last year. good luck

Since your dad has one and youve driven it then you understand the car. Problems or not it is the most awsome car I have ever owned, including vetts other caddys jags and so on. so if the wife will let you just buy and enjoy life is short!

Welcome to XLR-NET. I bought my '05 over the summer and have had very little problems (nothing I could not repair myself). My XLR has over 141K on it now and obviously out of warranty, but I bought it with the intent to drive it and enjoy. I have replaced the headlights (from units found on eBay for a couple of hundred bucks). If you look at an '04/'05, just be aware of the burnt running light lenses - expensive to replace. I had a problem with the shifter not coming out of park, but with some advice from forum members, was able to find the problem in the wiring under the console plate.

Its a wonderful car and can't wait for the Chicago winter to be over so I can take him back out.

Good luck in your pursuit of the coolest car Cadillac designed/produced. :cool:

Hi Xlr Forum Members,
We are new forum members and retro Thunderbird owners and hopefully XLR owners within 2010. We would love to own both. Have been reading all your threads and getting great information. We love the XLR and are Looking for a 2006 to be a big brother to our Merlot T-bird.
Roger and Bonnie Benischek
New Orleans

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your pursuit of the finest looking (not to mention driving) car Cadillac has EVER produced.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom