Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Thinking of a 2nd XLR daily Driver

arv09

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2009 Silver Platinum, 2005 Black Raven XLR
Even though I just bought my first XLR I like it so much that I'm looking at another to use a a daily driver but it already is having issues. 2004 Base 22K miles Light Platinum/Cashmere w/ebony accents. Appears to have been well taken care of and maintained at the local dealership. However, took about 3 hits on the dash trunk button to open the trunk, then it wouldn't close with the button in the trunk or any other way than manually. Then the trunk wouldn't open with the dash button. Then the top...all started well, windows went down then trunk opened and stopped there, but trunk would close back up with top down button. Then the windshield wipers didn't park correctly, pretty much anywhere you turned off the wipers. After we got back from the test drive the trunk opened and closed correctly. The car had been washed by the dealership about an hour before we tried anything.

Of cours it's out of warranty and of course they will attempt to fix or at least have it function until it's off the lot.

Now a couple of questions, should I run from it or look for an '05, or?

Thanks.

That is very low miles for a 04 may be it been sitting awhile or something got wet? Mine an 05 just turn 76,000 today and over the 2 years I had her very few issues but the trunk did have that do that too from time to time too! I thought it was me not pushing the button right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok but top wouldn't go down and wipers didn't work right either on test drive. I turned them on and they just stopped in the middle of the windshield. Turned them off and they did it again. Had a difficult time getting them back down. Dealership service is looking at it these issues. Otherwise car drives great and they put new tires on it. It seems to be in good shape but I had read that the 2004 has had a lot of top and electrical problems. Dealership wants to sell me a Wells Fargo 5 Star Warranty but it costs $4000 for 4 years/ 48000 miles. Found a 2006 by a private seller with about 33000 miles for about the same amount of money (hopefully) after negotiation and wonder if I wouldn't be better off with that one. I am planning on calling the owner tomorrow and getting a Carfax. I want a reasonably priced car to use as a driver and keep the 2009 as an investment and show car. I presume if I want to buy a warranty for that one Wells Fargo will be willing to oblige. Would like everyones thoughts.

Personally, I think you would be better off with the 06. 04's have been known to have a multitude of problems. That being said, there are many owners on this site that have an '04 and have had virtually no problems with them. Although, with the problems you have already been experiencing with this particular '04, I think you'd be better off walking away and looking closer at the '06.

By the way, the dealership had another 2009 with 18000 miles but was definintely well used. I noticed multiple dents in the console plate and when I looked at the 2004 it had dents there also. Whats the deal with that? The 2009 I have is perfect but is the console plate weak or have these cars just been abused? There are little dents all over them.

By the way, the dealership had another 2009 with 18000 miles but was definintely well used. I noticed multiple dents in the console plate and when I looked at the 2004 it had dents there also. Whats the deal with that? The 2009 I have is perfect but is the console plate weak or have these cars just been abused? There are little dents all over them.

This is an issue with all the XLR's as far as I'm concerned. The area is very thin and susceptible to dents. And the only way to get a new console plate is to order the ENTIRE CONSOLE, at a cost of around $1000 not including labor...

Personally, I think you would be better off with the 06. 04's have been known to have a multitude of problems. That being said, there are many owners on this site that have an '04 and have had virtually no problems with them. Although, with the problems you have already been experiencing with this particular '04, I think you'd be better off walking away and looking closer at the '06.

That's what I have been thinking. The other car is only about 200 miles away so no big deal. I like the interior on this one better though but I certainly don't want problems and I am worried about this one. I haven't seen the other one so there could be problems there also but I will check out everything. I do like that Platinum color, it looks almost gold. Even though it has low miles it has a lot of dings in the paint so I think the owner drove it to Wal-Mart etc. I want to do that also so that isn't a deal breaker but the electonic issues may be unless the dealer finds an identifable problem they can fix. Don't know if they will tell me either. Think I want to at least investigate the 2006.

This is an issue with all the XLR's as far as I'm concerned. The area is very thin and susceptible to dents. And the only way to get a new console plate is to order the ENTIRE CONSOLE, at a cost of around $1000 not including labor...

Thanks for the info. That is a big deal.

My 05 has a few dents on the console area too! But if you have a 06 to compare over the 04 even with the more miles I'm like Rod I think they are more advanced and had worked out more bugs and added new features! Just my opinion but I go newer myself!

My 05 has a few dents on the console area too! But if you have a 06 to compare over the 04 even with the more miles I'm like Rod I think they are more advanced and had worked out more bugs and added new features! Just my opinion but I go newer myself!

The only 2 problems i'm having with mine is the trunk scrapes on the Right side edge when closing, the cup holder once you start to close it, you have to raise it a little before you actually close it. But these are minor problems that i have just lived with since i got my baby back in oct of 20012. I'll live with it till it actually starts to be more of a eye sight.

The only 2 problems i'm having with mine is the trunk scrapes on the Right side edge when closing, the cup holder once you start to close it, you have to raise it a little before you actually close it.

Mine does the same thing. Apparently it's the twin of yours beyond just the same color, year, & occasionally possessed passenger window.

Are you sure you aren't taking mine out during the day while I'm at work? :chuckle

None of these things are "deal breakers" on mine either so I just ignore them.

This is going to sound strange, but don't get another XLR.

Let the novalty of having one wear off. Don't misunderstand this car is great! However, wait until you have had it for about three years and see if you still feel that you want another one. Strangely enough, if you have the one you drive as a daily driver and then the one you drive on special occasions, eventually you may come to view them just the same. The reason is because you will still want to take care of your car no matter what. If someone dings it you probably won't just say "Oh well" I have another so this one is okay to drive around dinged. Instead you will want it to be as pristine as the 2009 so you will get it repaired so that it continues to look sharp. Similarly, just look at what you are facing now with the 2004. If you just wanted another XLR then you could just get this one with all it's flaws and use it. I am sure the dealer would negotiate a great deal with you. However, you don't want that. You want an XLR that functions just like it is supposed to, looks great and drives phenominally! Also, eventually your 2009 XLR will start to age and need maintenance. My 2004 is almost 10 years old and it had to have the top control module re-programmed. Why? who knows. It just lost its programming. Also I have had some of the sensors that operate the top replaced. Knock wood, that's about it, except I have also touched up the paint on the front bumper. People who don't know what an XLR is and even those who do ask me what year it is because they say it looks brand new, even though it has 64K miles on it. I assert, that is probably the way you will keep the 09 and 04 or 06 if you get it, so it will always be show car quality Now regarding the car aging, are you really ready to have the same car with the same problems? Again, I am not critical of the XLR. It is a great vehicle. What I am saying is save your money. Drive the XLR you have and continue to enjoy it. Take care of it (as I know you will) and If something happens to your XLR or your wife or husband wants one, only then get another XLR. Otherwise save your money for something else like retirement, a new home or better yet to purchase the New version of the XLR if GM makes it.

This is what I am talking about (see below)!

New XLR.jpg

This is going to sound strange, but don't get another XLR.

Let the novalty of having one wear off. Don't misunderstand this car is great! However, wait until you have had it for about three years and see if you still feel that you want another one. Strangely enough, if you have the one you drive as a daily driver and then the one you drive on special occasions, eventually you may come to view them just the same. The reason is because you will still want to take care of your car no matter what. If someone dings it you probably won't just say "Oh well" I have another so this one is okay to drive around dinged. Instead you will want it to be as pristine as the 2009 so you will get it repaired so that it continues to look sharp. Similarly, just look at what you are facing now with the 2004. If you just wanted another XLR then you could just get this one with all it's flaws and use it. I am sure the dealer would negotiate a great deal with you. However, you don't want that. You want an XLR that functions just like it is supposed to, looks great and drives phenominally! Also, eventually your 2009 XLR will start to age and need maintenance. My 2004 is almost 10 years old and it had to have the top control module re-programmed. Why? who knows. It just lost its programming. Also I have had some of the sensors that operate the top replaced. Knock wood, that's about it, except I have also touched up the paint on the front bumper. People who don't know what an XLR is and even those who do ask me what year it is because they say it looks brand new, even though it has 64K miles on it. I assert, that is probably the way you will keep the 09 and 04 or 06 if you get it, so it will always be show car quality Now regarding the car aging, are you really ready to have the same car with the same problems? Again, I am not critical of the XLR. It is a great vehicle. What I am saying is save your money. Drive the XLR you have and continue to enjoy it. Take care of it (as I know you will) and If something happens to your XLR or your wife or husband wants one, only then get another XLR. Otherwise save your money for something else like retirement, a new home or better yet to purchase the New version of the XLR if GM makes it.

This is what I am talking about (see below)!

View attachment 3251

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts. Still thinking about another one but definitely not the one at the dealership. You are correct that I would want to keep the "driver" in tip top shape also but I don't really even want to drive the 2009 to the grocery or Wal-Mart. I probably won't be too happy with dings in another one even though it would have cost less but I probably would park it in a lot (far away from other vehicles though). As far as saving money for retirement etc, I have been doing that since I started my career 20+ years ago. Got married 2 years ago at age 51 for the first time and have had a house for sale 30 miles from my current residence for 3 1/2 years. It finally sold a month ago. It has been a nightmare trying to take care of that house while not actually living there and mowing the 5 acres that are with it. Also taking care of my 89 year old mother and as an only child that is a job in itself. So I'm just trying to enjoy life for awhile.

;47923 said:
Mine does the same thing. Apparently it's the twin of yours beyond just the same color, year, & occasionally possessed passenger window.

Are you sure you aren't taking mine out during the day while I'm at work? :chuckle

None of these things are "deal breakers" on mine either so I just ignore them.

yep I go around the area looking for what people are driving. Then if i see a xlr or even the "V". I wait around till they are gone or asleep. Then thats when i make my move. I sneak in their house. grab their key fob, then take joy rides. I particularly go for the same color as mine. So if they wake up or come back home, unexpectedly. They don't know the difference. Unless they open the car and look at the interior :lol:

Found the driver XLR but still probably won't drive it in the rain or park it at Wal-Mart unless in the outer edges of the parking lot. This is a 2005 Roadster Black with ebony interior 26000 miles and in excellant shape. I would say mint but the driver seat needs a little work. Probably ok for most people but I am picky. We bought it from Craigs List and the owner has a garage to die for. A 1999 Corvette, Catallic CTS V, and Viper number 3 of 50 and new Nissan Z, Custom Harley Springer, Custom V-Rod, Big Dog Hardtail and Ducati and I think that is all but wants another viper to play with. Was sick about selling this car but glad it went to a good home. It was 100 miles away but I saw the listing on Craigslist and saw a lot of his garage in the picture. I knew it would be in great shape and I wasn't disappointed . It rivals the 09 in looks in fact I think I like it more. I am very happy with it. My husband to it to a show today and gpt best 25. We only got it last night and hadn't even cleaned it up. I love it. Will post pics.

Yeah mine the same way except red 06. The drivers seat was/is a little cracked around the edge where you (driver) would exit/enter. I got her in oct of 2012 where she had 20752 miles. Now I have just a hair under 27 k on her. Still enjoy every day that I take her on a drive.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Had a little time to look at the 2005 we bought over the weekend. I really think I like it better than the 2009. I really like the front grille. The interior is in great shape as is the exterior. It seems to drive a bit differently, more like a luxury car. If I had seen this one first I probably never would have bought the 2009. But, still plan on keeping that one for an investment. The black looks really sharp. Everything works as expected and has a warranty until 11/14. I plan on driving it to my office 3 miles from my house when the weather is good and doing some shopping in it as long as I can park a long distance from any other cars. I love it. Trying to figure out how to add a garage but keep getting IE error. I did post pictures however.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom