Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

those who have converted to mesh grilles

Seguin

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Light Platinum
I am getting a mesh grille sometime this week and I am wondering about opening the hood.

I know with the stock XLR grille, I have to reach through the slats to release the safety catch.

How will I release the safety with the mesh grille?

Wait what...? You shouldnt be able to reach through the original grille like that because its solid. Your release is on top of the grill and under the hood... And it doesnt change with the new mesh grille.

I am getting a mesh grille sometime this week and I am wondering about opening the hood.

I know with the stock XLR grille, I have to reach through the slats to release the safety catch.

How will I release the safety with the mesh grille?

Your hood release should be right under hood when it pops up after pulling the interior handle???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

What they said.....your release should be above the grille on the passenger side.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I am chuckling here Seguin: you have too many cars too! I just pulled off my cover today and popped the hood to disconnect the battery tender. I went up front and started reaching in the gap and feeling around....feeling around....half upside down trying to look....peeking and feeling in the grill....feeling around more.....glad I was by myself in the garage....:lol:....took a while to find it. We have way too many cars and those latches are in way too many places! :willy_nilly: Anyway, glad to say that all my dorking around finally netted in me finding the latch, disconnecting the charger, checking the oil & tire pressure then came the self satisfying first ride of the spring: top down and music blaring and me smiling like a school girl! Life is good! :cool:

Anyway: Reach in to the gap that is formed between the hood and the top of the grill when the hood pops and there is a nice little tab/handle to the left of the centre catch (off hand I would say 6-8" to the left of centre but may be 12"). Make sure you post before and after pics for us to admire your work!

As aall have said here, changing over to a mesh grille should have NO effect on the working of your hood safety latch.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I had the car here to take pictures to show what I was talking about.
By the messages here, I conclude that my hood is not popping up to a sufficient height to reach the release.

When opened from the cabin, there is probably an eighth of an inch clearance between the bottom of the grille and the front bumper.
This neccessitated my reaching through the slats in the grill to operate the safety catch while pulling up on the hood.

I sounds like I need to troubleshoot this before the grille arrives.
I got a message from the vendor that the item is on backorder, so I should have some time to sort this out first.

I have read the forum's General Discussion and the Technical Discussion from front to back, hoping to gain some knowledge about this car and it is evident that this is a very friendly and helpful group, not to mention knowledgeable and experienced.

Thanks again.

If the hood is not popping up to that height you should be able to just lift it up a little to get your hand into the latch! The latch is mounted on top of the flat part in front of the motor and above the radiator area and NOT on the hood either, it should not even be in the grill slots as you are saying!

Well I received the mesh grille and installed it last Saturday.
All of you who replied were right.
I was working from memory ( a bad idea for me ) and was thinking about another car whose hood and grille are attached.

Too bad I didn't wait to see the car again before I asked the question.

Thanks to all who responded and for setting me straight.

Well just remember! Even the SMARTEST PEOPLE can't remember everything!!!

Didja' ever Thunk,..........?

With the addition of the Mesh Grill, I noticed that the original Cadillac Emblem was washed out, as there is sooo much chrome.
As an old Harley Rider, I began the thought process of personalizing my ride.

I began a search for another emblem and found this one,...It's from a Cadillac Eldorado Wire Wheel Center Cap. DSCN0958.jpg

Personally, I believe it sets off the grill with a little contrast in color.
Your taste may vary, but it took quite a bit of work and modification to make this work, and I think it sends the grill to a whole different level.

With the addition of the Mesh Grill, I noticed that the original Cadillac Emblem was washed out, as there is sooo much chrome.
As an old Harley Rider, I began the thought process of personalizing my ride.

I began a search for another emblem and found this one,...It's from a Cadillac Eldorado Wire Wheel Center Cap.View attachment 2876

Personally, I believe it sets off the grill with a little contrast in color.
Your taste may vary, but it took quite a bit of work and modification to make this work, and I think it sends the grill to a whole different level.

Looks good! I'd love to see how that looks for a bit farther back, how about a front end pic!

Looks good, It really should stand out when outside in the sun! :cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back