Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Tinted windows

xlr 443

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
I've been thinking of tinting my windows - however, in the owners manual it says that applying after market tint might interfere with the GPS performance. Has anyone ( if you tinted your windows ) experienced this problem ? I do not intend to tint the windshield - only the side and rear windows. The GPS receiver is locate on the windshield on the inside.

The XLR is just one in a long line of our cars that I've tinted. Never had a problem with factory or aftermarket GPS units. Including the XLR

there are different types of window tint.
metallic type can block GPS cellphone or radio signal.
here is a description i found online.
if i recall correctly ceramic type tints are the best for all around performance and no signal interference.

Different Types of Window Tint Film

also of note
it is usually illegal to tint windows past a certain darkness
and it is also illegal to tint the windshield.

however
many people go a bit too dark with the tint...
and on high end cars many people DO tint the windshield
they use a special type of tint that is almost clear, but blocks alot of the UV and heat.
this serves to protect the interior of the vehicle and the passengers, and is mostly unnoticeable.

[FONT=&quot]Llumar Air 80
was a brand i researched heavily when i bought my XLR, for the windshield, though i never had it installed.
only drawback is that at night it makes the view thru the front a bit grainy. especially lights.
my solution was to just park my xlr in the garage regularly, instead of in the driveway.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Metallic-based tints can interfere with radio signals, so ceramic-based tints are what you want. Ceramic tints are generally more efficient - more heat rejection with higher levels of visible light transmission (i.e. not crazy dark). I have Llumar Air 80 on all of my cars on all windows (windshields, sides, rear, sunroofs), and I love it! I don't like dark tint, but I do want a good level of heat rejection. The main drawback is that Air series of tints (80 and 90) is about 50% more expensive than regular tints.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom