Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

top 5 "must do" upgrades/fixes for the XLR

Here goes my top 5 on my bucket list for '14 Holidays

1) Calipers painted/coated
2) Custom Mats & Trunk Liner
3) Wind Restrictor
4) Chrome Wheels exchange
5) Need Help Folks (ie looking for recommendations that haven't been listed )

Since you have a V, if you want a louder/different exhaust but keep the dual-mode capability, you can put on a Billy Boat Fusion Exhaust. It is pretty loud though, louder than Corsa even while cruising. Likewise you can add Mild2Wild to your current exhaust or the Fusion, which will let you manually open up the exhaust baffles instead of waiting for them to do it on their own at 3,000 rpm.

If I had to do it again on my V

1. innova Blue Tooth adapter
  2. Wind Restrictor
  3. Mild 2 Wild exhaust control
  4. Switch to non-runflat summer tires
  5. XPEL self healing clear bra on all leading surfaces
  6. Kudo phone mount
  7. Lloyds floor mats
  8. Brake upgrade (Rotors, pads, braided lines, fluid and caliper paint)
  9. Blower overdrive pulley and belt
  10. PCM tuning

Yes the trunk liner and painted calipers are what I want.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

http://www.all-neon-car-lights.com/lightning-eyes-headlight-kit.html

How did the 09 front fascia's work out, is it an easy change out? Cost including paint?
I have slight damage to lower mesh grill in my 06-V, someone backed into me and hit the lower grill. A tab that holds the mesh tight to the chrome ring broke off on the inside of the chrome ring. Auto body shop can't find that lower mesh grill anywhere or even the ring. They want to glue it with that space age glue they use on the fenders & I'm not happy with that idea.
An extra that makes your car look like the new cars is Flexible Plasma glow light string attached to bumper under headlights, got lots of compliments.
Lightning Eyes Headlight Kit

Heres my top 5 of what I've done to my '05:

1. Upgrade front fascia to '09 XLR-V
2. Hotchkis Sway bars F & R
3. C6 Z06 Rims
4. Cross drilled slotted rotors/ painted calipers blue to match car
5. 20% tint all around

Rear sway bar

Lots of great ideas in this thread. Does anyone know the part number for the sway bar? I want to order one now after reading this thread. Does it come with everything that you need? Can I install on the floor or do I need to put on a lift? Thanks everyone!

Lots of great ideas in this thread. Does anyone know the part number for the sway bar? I want to order one now after reading this thread. Does it come with everything that you need? Can I install on the floor or do I need to put on a lift? Thanks everyone!

Check this out https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...waybar-parts-list-04-09-a.html?highlight=sway
check back thru he threads for discussion on this. I know I posted about this a few years back with my part numbers. I will see if I can find it. super easy install. Check out GM Parts Direct for pricing.

Last edited:
I've been reading the forums for days now getting lots of great ideas. In many of the motorcycle forums I frequent, we usually have "must do" lists for each bike - lists of popular upgrades/fixes that most owners would want to consider at some point. I was looking for such a thread here for the XLR but didn't find anything, so I thought I would start one. Being a new XLR owner, it will be interesting for me to hear everyones thoughts on the their "top 5" items.

So, in your opinion, what are the top 5 "must do" upgrades/fixes for the XLR?

If a Rear Anti-Sway bar is installed, be sure to get an immediate realignment of the rear Suspension.
As you loosen the bolts you can see and hear things move. Assemble the links on the ground before installing the bar.

I ran a hidden #10 insulated wire to the + terminal of the battery which exits under the front bumper so I can always get a quick boost without the hassle of going in thru the trunk. I can also connect my battery tender to that.

The previous owner had put on a Corsa exhaust system ( a bit noisy), embroidered hood and trunk felts, drilled and slotted rotors, mesh grille and Z06 Wheels. I highly recommend NOT tinting the windows, especially the rear one. Mine are way too dark. I recently had a Stainless angle made up and electro polished to go over the front of the bottom splitter.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!

Check this out https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...waybar-parts-list-04-09-a.html?highlight=sway
check back thru he threads for discussion on this. I know I posted about this a few years back with my part numbers. I will see if I can find it. super easy install. Check out GM Parts Direct for pricing.

All the parts are ordered. They were a little less expensive all in at GM Wholesale Direct. I got everything on the list with shipping for $172.75. Site indicated that all were in stock and would ship in 2-4 days. Thanks again for the help!

Can I install on the floor or do I need to put on a lift? Thanks everyone!

Hey Chip - you're getting a great add-on, it will make a world of difference. We just used ramps to install ours, think some other folks did the install just on the floor. :wave:

Exhaust Comparison

I notice a bunch of folks have installed the Corsa exhaust system. Can anyone tell me the difference between that and a Magnaflow exhaust? Tone? Loudness internal & external? Cost? Thanks.

CORSA EXHAUST

I notice a bunch of folks have installed the Corsa exhaust system. Can anyone tell me the difference between that and a Magnaflow exhaust? Tone? Loudness internal & external? Cost? Thanks.

Hi Doug
I can't really tell you the difference between them, because my 2005 had Corsa installed when I bought her in of March of 2011. I originally thought it was the regular XLR exhaust system until at one of XLR gathering I was told it was aftermarket. I can tell you I do love the sound, it's not to loud for back road or highway driving as it carries a very low mellow drone at most any speed, but if you tramp down or floor it cracks out the sound of HP out the pipes as it roars on. I personally love our Corsa, :thumbsup but it's most likely a personal sound thing too for each individual. I hear most people say they like the sound of a Corsa Exhaust. Hope this helps. Cruz'on Topless of course! :wave:

I haven't heard a Magnaflow on an XLR; I have read complaints about rust on other vehicles like CTS's.

Corsa is probably more expensive than others (can run around $1600 if you don't shop around), BUT our installer said it was the best made aftermarket exhaust he'd ever seen. Tone is a nice growl, not super loud. To me appropriately matched to a car like the XLR. Best part is they guarantee no drone & that is absolutely true.

We liked it on the XLR enough we've put Corsa on most everything else we could. Had JBL on a GT500 that was awful - the drone was so bad even cruising you had to yell to talk. From that experience I'd do whatever it takes to avoid drone. Replaced it with Corsa, people know when you're coming but there's no drone. Also just put Corsa on our SUV, nice growl, no drone.

We put BB Fusion exhaust on the V (because it can connect with the NPP exhaust system that's on XLR-V's, Corsa couldn't), which makes the V sound like a race car but has significant drone. Not really my cup of tea & I don't enjoy it on long trips. It's fine & fun around town though.

So for my $$$, Corsa is worth it for being well made & drone-free. I'm sure there are folks on her with Magnaflow, hopefully they'll chime in.

Heres my top 5 of what I've done to my '05:

1. Upgrade front fascia to '09 XLR-V
2. Hotchkis Sway bars F & R
3. C6 Z06 Rims
4. Cross drilled slotted rotors/ painted calipers blue to match car
5. 20% tint all around

In regards to the C6 Z06 Wheels, What sizes? 18 x 9.5 + 40 offset & 19 x 12 + 59 offset? Were the any fitment issues? Spacers needed? What size tires did/do you run front & rear?

Last edited:
Top 5 upgrades

Sounds good. I put a rear anti-sway bar on my 08 along with V hood. It came with V grille. I think I am second or third owner. 27K miles.

Previous to my ownership I believe that the front bumper was changed. There are 'sensors' in the bumper with 8" of wire coming out but no connection to anything. Not sure what they were for unless they also worked with the rear sensors.

I also have the Z-06 wheels, drilled and slotted rotors (which many claim cause some vibration on braking) hi-temp coated to match the Crystal Red Tint Coat. Engine cover has also been painted to match car colour with gold accents where the black was.
I was lucky enough to get an XLR that already had the embroidered hood and trunk panels and the backdraft screen that fits to the 'roll bars'. I think the front has been lowered 1".
Be sure to have an alignment done after putting in the anti-sway bars.

Happy Motoring.
Gord.

I've been reading the forums for days now getting lots of great ideas. In many of the motorcycle forums I frequent, we usually have "must do" lists for each bike - lists of popular upgrades/fixes that most owners would want to consider at some point. I was looking for such a thread here for the XLR but didn't find anything, so I thought I would start one. Being a new XLR owner, it will be interesting for me to hear everyones thoughts on the their "top 5" items.

So, in your opinion, what are the top 5 "must do" upgrades/fixes for the XLR?

Well from all the responses I think you could do a TOP 10 LIST.

The headlight in my 2004 is Hallogen and gets very hot and melts the plastic lens. I spent too much money on two headlight assemblies but I am converting to LEDs to replace Hallogen. Otherwise car is solid and quite an eye catcher.

I own (5). I guess that make me a car collector Extraudinaire! I have a 2005 XLR, a 1957 Corvette,a 1940 Ford convertible, and (2) 1950 Fords; a Crestliner, and a Tudor Custom sedan,

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom