Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

top down cruising, dirty interior ??

lextoy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Liquid Amethyst
hi all,
now that the weather got nice, i can finally cruise top down all the time,
keeping the car in the garage overnight just in case it rains.
i havent put my top up for about a week, and driven 3 days so far.
i am noticing quite alot of fine dust /dirt is accumulating on the rear deck lid,
on the rear vinyl, and even inside the car, on the dash, etc.
this isnt from in the garage as i had it in there all winter, and there was almost no accumulation of anything.
its all driving accumulation.

how often are you all wiping down the interior? do you notice the same thing ?
will the fancy wind protector reduce the dirt coming into the interior?

i can wash down the rear deck lid, but the interior is much more tedious to detail.

what do you all do? those who drive top down all year ?
any tricks, tips ?

There's no magic bullet that I know of. I just "dust" my interior, use Blackfire Interior Protectant, which unlike some stuff doesn't attract dirt & make it stick (best I've found after trying several different things, no alcohol in it, not greasy, just the right amount of gloss). You can use a paint brush or similar for cracks/ crevices. I only manage to drive mine on weekends so I just wipe it off every 2-3 weeks; the interior is small enough it's not too bad to me.

I do NOT wash the tonneau (painted piece right behind the seats when the top is down) - just use some detail spray on it & wipe it off.

Some dust inside just means you're living life right & enjoying your XLR!

I use a good interior cleaner. I also have a cela jet spray and car wash shampoo. I use the spray in between washes. I have a dozen or more micro fiber cloths. I also try and clean the rims several times a month. I clean them more often during the cruise ins and car shows. I wash the tonneau with the cela jet spray. I also sometimes have the mothers black polish for dressing up the roll bars and devider covers. (Behind the seats before tonneau cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

save time from excess cleaning,,

",,,i am noticing quite alot of fine dust /dirt is accumulating,,,,"

Sounds like termite turd dust?
icon7.gif
j/k

We use a high quality, super soft underside, car cover even when the car is sitting in the garage, and don't encounter the condition you describe.

I always make sure and get my speed up high enough to blow out the dust. :)

haha, i tried that, it didnt work !
anyone notice different dirt accumulation on the rear end after installing the wind protector ?

It isn't just dust at this time of year - the tree pollen is so heavy my car has a yellowish tint to it at the end of each workday. I use a duster to remove it as soon as I park in the garage.

CCC :wave:

I went to a Fo*d dealer's parts counter and bought one of there interior cloths that are have something on them, a cleaner or type of wax?? I don't know what's on the cloths but they sure pick up the dust in one swipe.

A soft interior detail brush for the little cracks between the console, nav system, vents ect. ect.

Even if you keep the top up I get dust in the car even with a new air filter installed (located on the passenger's side accessed only via the engine compartment).

Dust isn't my problem, bee turd is our problem. Little yellow specks. And as CC said, tree pollen too. :mad:

When Doves Cry,,,,

quote: "Dust isn't my problem, bee turd is our problem. Little yellow specks."

Yellow specks is usually bird pizz,,,,,,but I don't live in Oregon to challenge your statement

You piqued my curiosity. I work with a bee keeper. He really knows his bee doo. I'll quiz him this morning and post back. Inquiring minds gotta know!

CC :wave:

Dust isn't my problem, bee turd is our problem. Little yellow specks. And as CC said, tree pollen too. :mad:

You piqued my curiosity. I work with a bee keeper. He really knows his bee doo. I'll quiz him this morning and post back. Inquiring minds gotta know!

I have to say I really appreciate - & never thought I'd find - a forum where I can learn about both cars AND bee poop. :blinzel:

I don't pretend to know Sh!t about bee poop, so all of my newly-acquired knowledge comes from a co-worker who happens to be a bee keeper. I asked him about it today, and he was a little too enthusiastic in his sharing; probably because I may be the first to broach the subject to him, and he really seems to enjoy discussing his bee hobby.

According to him, the only way to accumulate lots of bee poop on a vehicle is to park directly under a hive, transport them regularly, or drive through a huge swarm. Apparently, when he buys bees (in ten pound lots, no less) they can hold it for up to a week. When they are shaken from the box over their new hive after prolonged transport, it can be pretty ugly in a hurry. The slats that hold the bee chambers made of wax need to be pulled from the hive and the poop removed from the bottom of the storage box weekly. (Think stinging litter box.) Interesting factoid: Bees don't live very long (six weeks or so) and in the winter, they cluster in their hive and vibrate en masse, keeping the interior a toasty 85 degrees.

Undeterred by his explanation, I looked at bee poop imagery online and it looks pretty nasty. Like . . . poop, so that wasn't too illuminating. There are plenty of pictures of vehicles that have been bee bombed, so it appears to be more common then I thought or he knows. I'm just glad I only have pollen to contend with.

Time for some honey.

I don't pretend to know Sh!t about bee poop, so all of my newly-acquired knowledge comes from a co-worker who happens to be a bee keeper. I asked him about it today, and he was a little too enthusiastic in his sharing; probably because I may be the first to broach the subject to him, and he really seems to enjoy discussing his bee hobby.

According to him, the only way to accumulate lots of bee poop on a vehicle is to park directly under a hive, transport them regularly, or drive through a huge swarm. Apparently, when he buys bees (in ten pound lots, no less) they can hold it for up to a week. When they are shaken from the box over their new hive after prolonged transport, it can be pretty ugly in a hurry. The slats that hold the bee chambers made of wax need to be pulled from the hive and the poop removed from the bottom of the storage box weekly. (Think stinging litter box.) Interesting factoid: Bees don't live very long (six weeks or so) and in the winter, they cluster in their hive and vibrate en masse, keeping the interior a toasty 85 degrees.

Undeterred by his explanation, I looked at bee poop imagery online and it looks pretty nasty. Like . . . poop, so that wasn't too illuminating. There are plenty of pictures of vehicles that have been bee bombed, so it appears to be more common then I thought or he knows. I'm just glad I only have pollen to contend with.

Time for some honey.

That info just sounds like a bunch of bee sh!t to me! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

cc - PLEASE I MUST KNOW, IS THE POOP YELLOW or WHAT COLOR?

I could be wrong in what I'm getting rained down (beside water) onto my XLR.

Not sure if it NOT correct to do so but I drive our XLR rain or shine but not snow or ice. The car is usually spotless except for the underside which was spotless when I purchased the car that had 40K miles but I don't clean the underside, I'm too fat to get under the car and only have speed ramps used to change my oil and filter, that's about as far as I can get under the car.

Green Board

:wave:

A picture is often worth a million words, so I recommend Googling "Bee Poop" and clicking on the Images link. There's more there than you'll ever want to know, and for dinner party starter conversations, you can probably get some mileage out of your vast, newly-acquired bee doo knowledge.

You can color match what you view against what's deposited on your car. Since you live in the Oregon Territory, it might be Alder pollen.

Straight Board,

There are people who take pictures of bee poop - AND post them on the Internet? Who'd a thunk it!

Thank goodness Al Gore invented the Internet so we could view these things!

Wells SOME of the pictures look like what I see on my Thunder Gray and after watching a youtube flick of a bee pooping, I'd say they DO poop on my ride along with all of the tree pollen from the oak, ash, and alder and what ever else we have growing out here.

Glad I have a garage and don't have to park outside.

Thanks a lot CC for all of your expert information!!

16 empty tubes, it's Miller Time :lol:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back