Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top Hydraulic Motor Burned Up

Perdidoguy

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR
I put the top up this morning and when the trunk lid closed to complete the sequence, the pump motor continued to run. I couldn't find a fuse or circuit breaker that controlled it so I ended up disconnecting the battery to stop it. Now, I get the cold weather warning on the display when I try to put the top back down. This is probably due to the motor thermistor. I saw were an outfit called TopHydraulics offers a $650 flat rebuild fee. That is much cheaper than the $1,100 price that GMParts.com wants. I think the pump failure was a result of a switch not making to signal the completion of the sequence. Is there any chart that shows the electrical components involved with the feedback and control system for the top operation? Im afraid that if I send off the pump or replace it, the new one will do the same thing and burn up. This is going to be an expensive fix if I take it to the local Cadillac dealer in Pensacola, FL.

I've posted detailed descriptions of the Folding Top operation. Read through them using the search function and if you still have a question that isn't covered, post back and it will get answered.

The Folding Top is the most problematic system in the XLR and as a result, there's a lot of information posted about it if one takes the time to read it.
CC

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry