Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top problem

Hopefully not for "free".. ;)

Sounds like the stealership struck again. I would get every part back that they replaced. You paid for them. And sounds like a lot too. I don't understand. If the top worked bit didn't latch at the header. Why would the pump be culprit? If the top is moving pump is pumping fluid. I would definately b having a meeting with the service manager.
Funny my wife goes in for service they try selling her the world and everything needs to get serviced. Trans,radiator,brakes are getting bad, need tires soon,this and that. Little do they know her husband does it for free!

laker , who was your dealer? i am local to philly and trying to find a known good XLR cert mechanic...
every dealer i have called says yes, but i dont even think they are listening to me when i ask the question.
they just agree their mechanics are certified on the XLR.
luckily i havent had a reason to take mine in yet:thumbsup

Drive south to Delaware Cadillac in Wilmington they have a certified XLR Tech.

Well, I drove the x with the top up for the first time today since the pop. A lot of wind noise in the header. Appears the fiberglass, or plastic top of the roof is glued to the frame. It looks like the pop was the top panel separating from the frame. The sides are still attached but the center has about a quarter inch gap in it. I need to find out what this is attached with and how to do it. I can see injecting epoxy between the two parts and clamping it overnight but don't want to mess up anything. Any insight would be appreciated.

A similar-sounding problem was posted awhile back where the owner had his top seperate while driving. I believe this issue is also a documented Corvette problem. You might check or post on some of the bigger Corvette-themed sites for some insight and repair options.

Glad you caught it early.

CC :wave:

Sounds like over time the glue holding the roof on is giving up the ghost. This is why I haven't been too excited about the switch to "structural adhesive" to hold load bearing parts together & save weight. http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...es/news/us/en/2013/May/0509-cadillac-cts.html. Just don't have a good feeling about how long that glue is going to last ... and what happens when it fails.

Then again, when parts fall off the weight saving is even greater!

laker , who was your dealer? i am local to philly and trying to find a known good XLR cert mechanic...
every dealer i have called says yes, but i dont even think they are listening to me when i ask the question.
they just agree their mechanics are certified on the XLR.
luckily i havent had a reason to take mine in yet:thumbsup

Or come west to York Pa they have an Apple Cadillac here which worked on mine but at over $100 an hour labor I been using a local Chevy dealership that has a Cadillac mechanic at $87 hour and 15 minutes away plus usually give me a loaner car, compared to 45 minutes away! I would think Delaware is closer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I got the top fixed yesterday by the old Cadillac dealer in town. They lost the franchise but are still a used car dealer. I got 3 estimates. $450 at the Chevy dealer. $250 at a local body shop mand $50 at the old caddy dealer.mi chose the $50. They did a great job.. I'll be giving them more business. It turned out great.

Last edited:
I got the top fixed yesterday by the old Cadillac dealer in town. They lost the franchise but are still a used car dealer. I got 3 estimates. $450 at the Chevy dealer. $250 at a local body shop mand $50 at the old caddy dealer.mi chose the $50. They did a great job.. I'll be giving them more business. It turned out great b

What did they do?

Separated the top from the frame as much as they could. Cleaned and sanded both surfaces, and re glued with panel bond.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom