Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top Stuck & Ticked off?? Here's a few Convertible Top Tricks

Rocker777

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Raven Black
Hey Guys, I'm not sure how many of you have a hard time with your top coming down...but here's some tricks that I figured out on my way to almost losing my mind with a top stuck in the half way position.

1. This is a "factory" thing. Put "both" windows down, and hold for 10 seconds...this resets your electronics.

2. Rock the convertible top up/down switch back and forth until the top comes down.

3. In the trunk "front/left" there's a little well where the hydraulics are. Loose the silver lever releasing the pressure to the hydraulics. Then, on the right of the top, and on the left side. There's a kind of rocker that you can release. It's the part that moves the top flap, Release one side , or both sides. Then re-tighten the silver hydraulics lever in the trunk...that has saved me a million times from loosing my mind with a stuck top!

Good Luck!

A couple of thoughts come to mind after reading your post.

#1: This is general knowledge. The windows must be indexed before the folding top sequence can begin; in other words, your top can't get stuck in the halfway position if the windows aren't indexed because the sequence to move it cannot start.

Indexing the windows in their fully raised and lowered positions stores their position values so the Folding Top Control module can determine if they're fully retracted before the top moves. This prevents damage to the roof seal around the windows, which is why the windows lower slightly when the doors are opened and closed.

Fun Fact: Pressing the top control switch immediately after the top raises and locks into place will raise the windows.

#2/3: These are work-arounds masking another problem: your top either has a sensor(s) drifting or needs a re-learn. You should never have to perform either of these two steps for proper operation of the folding top.

From your description, the front tonneau sensor may be on the ragged edge of providing the proper position count to the folding top control module. If you haven't had your folding top serviced lately, I recommend you have it scanned and calibrated/repaired which should prevent further aggravation.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
WOW!

There's always one in the bunch! Condescending replies like this make me want to bail out of this site! And, I just signed up yesterday! hahaha...It's not General knowledge if you don't know about it. And YES it's absolutely a work around because I dont want to spend any money bringing it in if I can make it work with ought wasting my money! Good Luck! Maybe not everyone is as well educated in the ways of the XLR as yourself...

Take a deep breath and chill. Sorry if you took my reply the wrong way; No disrespect meant at all on my part.

A few minutes spent reading through the forum regarding folding top problems is worth your time and will confirm what I wrote. The more you learn, the more you'll enjoy your car and hopefully save money, which is the whole point of this forum.

There are years of problems and solutions for nearly every aspect of the XLR stored here.

CC :wave:

There's always one in the bunch! Condescending replies like this make me want to bail out of this site! And, I just signed up yesterday! hahaha...It's not General knowledge if you don't know about it. And YES it's absolutely a work around because I dont want to spend any money bringing it in if I can make it work with ought wasting my money! Good Luck! Maybe not everyone is as well educated in the ways of the XLR as yourself...

You really should start reading the forums from start to finish. Just because you're new and think you're the only one with folding top problems is foolish. If you're satisfied with your workaround, more power to you. It just means you're in for trouble farther down the line, as it won't get better. CC is one of our more scholarly contributors. And I've never seen a condescending remark here from him, just plain talk. And continued snotty remarks won't get you far.

Really? Welcome to the forum and thanks for the contribution, but you might want to read up on past posts before you insult one of the most helpful and biggest contributors to this forum for many years.

You really should start reading the forums from start to finish. Just because you're new and think you're the only one with folding top problems is foolish. If you're satisfied with your workaround, more power to you. It just means you're in for trouble farther down the line, as it won't get better. CC is one of our more scholarly contributors. And I've never seen a condescending remark here from him, just plain talk. And continued snotty remarks won't get you far.
well said!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back