Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Torque Converter

rufcar

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR Crimson Pearl
I took my X in for the rear clutch plates clicking noise again and the dealer told me he also found my torque converter is chattering and needs replaced under warranty along with rebuilding my rear at the same time. The problem is I have been waiting 2 weeks for GM to find and ship a converter. I can get most any part I need for my 1935 Bentley that they made 1600 units of and I cannot get a common part for my 04 Cadillac. Dosent this just seem wrong? It makes me rethink weather Ill buy another GM product after 40 years of buying them. I own 10 of them now of all ages and the older they are the easier it seems to get parts!

Yes I am aware of him as I have purchased several trim items from him. The problem is GMPP pays for it therefore they must supply it. Thanks

Update: 5 weeks tomorrow and my car is still at at dealers. Turns out the noise in the rear was not only the plates but the bearings. So the rear will be completely rebuilt and the torque converter replaced. Not bad for a car with just over 30K miles huh. Not to mention the 5 weeks to get all the parts. I reminded them today I get parts for my 75 yr old Bentley from the UK in less then 10 days and most everything is available!

Again, I feel your pain. Mine was in the shop for almost 6 full weeks getting the control arm mounting bracket redone. I didn't care tooooo much - they have an EXCELLENT Corvette body guy who was on vacation. The work is flawless.

She's back, and I've tested the bracket - so far, so good!!! :reddevil

Again, I feel your pain. Mine was in the shop for almost 6 full weeks getting the control arm mounting bracket redone. I didn't care tooooo much - they have an EXCELLENT Corvette body guy who was on vacation. The work is flawless.

She's back, and I've tested the bracket - so far, so good!!! :reddevil

I'm glad you got Misty back and that she is good to go. Happy motoring, Rich. Hope we get a chance to hook up this summer sometime; Devin and I enjoy hangin' with you. :rocker:

Sad to say, but I believe the issue of long delays on replacement parts and extended down-times will be the future for many owners.

Also sad to see a 30,000 mile car with damage to the rear bearings, plates and torque converter. It's not like it's putting out 500 hp.

We are in the final stages of lemoning our second XLR; 36 work orders just seems like a bit too many for one car. :dunno:

My car was a previous lemon'd car and I saw the 3 pages of repairs before I purchased it 4 yrs ago. It didnt worry me since I figured all the problem parts had been repaired. These current ptoblems dont bother me too much as its all warranty work. The real, problem is GM sells off all the parts that are out of factory warranty that includes the GMPP. Thats why I had to wait the parts came from elsewehere. Having 8 cars Im used to this but like i said earlier I get parts for my 50-75 yr old Rolls and Bentleys in a few days. Even my antique 73 Porsche RS I get any parts in 5 days!

Well 6 weeks to the day and shes finally done. Totally Rebuilt rear with new bearings and plates, new torgue converter, the 4th new gas cap, 2 new top switches/sensors. Not bad for a 30,000 mi new car. The good news is all paid for under GMPP! The bad news is, over the last 8 weeks all 8 of my cars needed something. Im now down to 2 and both are being worked on as I write this. YEA!

I brought the car home on monday went to move it fri a.m and she would start and then shut off! Disconnected the battery got it running fine went out and let me sit on the road side had to have it flat beded back to the dealers yet again. 6 weeks of work and it lasted all of 12 miles! Tomorrow we will know what the new crisis is. Now im thinking of dumping it for a CTS V. We shall see.

Actually the car does start then just shut off. If you manage to get it started it shuts off in a mater of seconds. I think the person who set up the 2 new top relays could have altered something else. Plus when all the work was done the entire bottom of the car from the engine back was removed and then re assembled. I have worked on cars most of my life and to drive the car home and then have this happen on the next start up is not a coincedence.

At least you got 12 miles out of it. Doris decided to drive her XLR to the store yesterday. She put the top down at the store, drove home where we spent 20 minutes in the driveway coercing the top to go back up.

GM can't pick it up fast enough. The smell of lemon juice is stinking up our garage.

X is gone!

Finally got the X back this week, it turned out to be a loose ground wire they missed on the rebuild job too bad it took a week to even look at it! Went for a 100 mi drive today and ended up at a Cadillac dealer in MD and traded the X for a 12,000 mi new CTS with every option. My XLR was previoulsy a buy back so I only got 24K for a 33,000 mi car. I wanted the V and they had a new one with 3,000 mi on it for 57K I ended up being practical and got the 3.6 with every conceivable option including the same type of shifter and AWD to boot! Had 3 yrs of fun with X but the wife didnt trust it any longer. Ill check in from time to time see how your all doin! Be well! Jim f

Finally got the X back this week, it turned out to be a loose ground wire they missed on the rebuild job too bad it took a week to even look at it! Went for a 100 mi drive today and ended up at a Cadillac dealer in MD and traded the X for a 12,000 mi new CTS with every option. My XLR was previoulsy a buy back so I only got 24K for a 33,000 mi car. I wanted the V and they had a new one with 3,000 mi on it for 57K I ended up being practical and got the 3.6 with every conceivable option including the same type of shifter and AWD to boot! Had 3 yrs of fun with X but the wife didnt trust it any longer. Ill check in from time to time see how your all doin! Be well! Jim f

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your XLR... glad to hear you are happy with the CTS though. Going to miss you being on here... take care!!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom