Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trailering XLR?

Luparello

My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR - Platinum with Ebony Interior
We will be trailering my 05 XLR to the mountains of NC next weekend to go camping with friends (have a toy hauler we use to go drag racing) and wanted to see if anyone has trailered their XLR. If so, how did you attach the tie-down straps while in/on the trailer?
Thanks - Diane

Okay, you HAVE to explain this one ..... you're trailering your XLR to go camping???? :confused:

After you find out how to do that, start planning your trip to Colorado ..... 'would love to meet you! :wave:

Mine was placed on a car carrier by exoticcartransport.com and they strapped the car down with a strap around each of all the tires not to the body, suspension, nor frame.

Okay, you HAVE to explain this one ..... you're trailering your XLR to go camping???? :confused:

After you find out how to do that, start planning your trip to Colorado ..... 'would love to meet you! :wave:

I know - it sounds a bit odd. We have a toy hauler (car trailer with living quarters) that we use to take our '73 Plymouth Duster to the drag strips and be able to camp at the strip. We are meeting friends in Maggie Valley for a Harley dealers' sponsored rally and will be camping there (they have a motor home) so wanted to take the car without having to drive both truck/trailer and XLR (save a bit of gas) to have it there to go playing with them on their Harley and us in the XLR. A friend who has a corvette said her car has hooks that can be used to tie the car down and was just wondering if anyone knows if the XLR has the same thing (DH said 'we can just look', but that's not as much fun as asking) :)

I don't know of any hooks on either the Corvette or XLR (we have a C4,C5 & C6 Corvettes). I think most people use the tire straps to secure them in a trailer.

Interesting.... I looked in the Repair Manual; it shows tow hooks (where they are and how to repair/replace them), but the parts catalog doesn't have them illustrated or available. Hmmmm. Must have been a casualty of the accountants' pens.....

I also don't remember seeing them on my XLR; they're supposed to be welded to the front and rear impact bars.

PS. I took my XLR camping a couple of times this summer. It was difficult to pack, but it sure was a conversation starter!! It was also significantly more fun to drive than my SUV (though I can pack a LOT more beer in the SUV)! :lol:

There our hooks on the C5 because ive had my car towed and watched the guy hook them up. However, I dont remember any in the front these he used were located to the front of the rear wheel on each side. He used straps to the front wheels as I recall.

Fred

There our hooks on the C5 because ive had my car towed and watched the guy hook them up. However, I dont remember any in the front these he used were located to the front of the rear wheel on each side. He used straps to the front wheels as I recall.

Fred

He probably hooked into the slots in the frame rails (where the lifting pucks lock into)

This is what I'm talking about that the exoticcartransport guys did on each of the tires:

IMG_1287.jpg

I don't know of any hooks on either the Corvette or XLR (we have a C4,C5 & C6 Corvettes). I think most people use the tire straps to secure them in a trailer.
Bruce, the XLR's were trailered in covered transport, weren't they? How did they secure them from the factory?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom