Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Transmission

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
My transmission seems to hang between 2nd & third, but only after initial startup. Within 2 miles of driving, it shifts normally. Is there an update to the transmission shift programming that I should look into? Has anyone else experienced this problem and had it looked into? I haven't taken it in to the local dealer. Although they have an XLR certified tech, they don't see many; so I thought I'd throw it out here first.

mtrocket,

I apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to have the transmission checked out. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Caron, GM Customer Service

My transmission seems to hang between 2nd & third, but only after initial startup. Within 2 miles of driving, it shifts normally. Is there an update to the transmission shift programming that I should look into? Has anyone else experienced this problem and had it looked into? I haven't taken it in to the local dealer. Although they have an XLR certified tech, they don't see many; so I thought I'd throw it out here first.

I've searched the forums and I guess I have the first hard tranny failure of a Base model XLR.

It happened while doing some "SPIRITED DRIVING" at NCH last month.

Symptoms: When auto or manual shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, the tranny shifts out of 2nd but won't shift into 3rd unless I let off the gas pedal. If I don't let off the gas pedal, the engine over-revs as though I missed 3rd gear in a manual transmission.
There is no problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th or even down shifting from 5th to 4th for passing.
I drove it from BG, Ky. to my daughter's in Wisconsin and then to Colorado Springs, Co. where I had it checked out at Red Noland Cadillac. They informed me that they would have to replace the tranny and I would have to leave the car there.
I could not do that so I drove it home and am in the process of replacing the tranny myself.
I was lucky getting the replacement tranny from gmpartsdirect.com as they had them on sale.
Here is an interesting fact about this tranny!( P/N; 96042733, aka 5L50-E)
This is the same tranny used in quite a lot of the GM vehicles, i.e. Pontiac, Olds, Buick etc. In other words, it IS NOT a special tranny for the base model XLR!

This is happening to our Escalade .... :squint:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back