Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Trouble shifting out of park.

locked up. Computer problem?

Twice I have had the situation where the entire starting sequence seems to go alien..... Open the door, climb in, no window shift slightly down. Motor starts on second try but sequence of messages to service various components. Shifter is locked and won't unlock. Seat doesn't adjust for my fob settings nor steering wheel. Shut it off, come back in an hour.....no problem! I am suspecting moisture in a computer module. Sound familiar?

I am taking note of this issue for GM Records. Please keep us posted.

Kennadian- This is the number for Cadillac Customer Service of Canada if the issue keeps occurring. 1-888-446-2000- Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

Same problem, shifter locked in park, code after code, 2005 XLR

I am taking note of this issue for GM Records. Please keep us posted.

Kennadian- This is the number for Cadillac Customer Service of Canada if the issue keeps occurring. 1-888-446-2000- Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

Twice I have had the situation where the entire starting sequence seems to go alien..... Open the door, climb in, no window shift slightly down. Motor starts on second try but sequence of messages to service various components. Shifter is locked and won't unlock. Seat doesn't adjust for my fob settings nor steering wheel. Shut it off, come back in an hour.....no problem! I am suspecting moisture in a computer module. Sound familiar?

Had the same problem today.
XLR started abnormally, message after message displayed on the on board message center.
all Gage's stopped working and could not depress the shifter knob to move the shifter out of park.
restarted the car a few time, same results.

Bottom line, disconnected both battery cables from the battery and held both cables together to remove any residual voltage, reinstalled and the problem went away for now.

anyone with any ideas?

mine acted all weird when the old battery was almost dead. if i charged it up it worked for two days,
then as it slowly succumbed to the constant parasitic drain the xlr's have, it did stuff like this.
after i installed new battery no strange issues ever since.

Gear shift stuck in park

Today upon returning home from running a few errands I had trouble shifting out of park. The shift release button felt like it was stuck. After several attempts I finally got it to release. Got the car into the garage and put it into park, and again it would not shift out of park. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue, is it just an adjustment or will new parts be needed? Also is there a way to disengage the button manually to get it to the dealer if need be? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

:cool:
Okay, just had this problem the other day. If you still have your owners manual it will show you how to disengage the park and get where you are going. In summary here is what you do: double click the auxiliary button on your lower dash. Then you can move the gear shift to neutral. After you move it to Neutral, start your car and put it in rear or drive and off you go. This is to get you home or from wherever you don't want to be stuck. As far as permanently fixing the problem, read some of the other blogs.

I think you mean "Accessory Switch" instead of auxiliary switch. From the manual

Shifting Out of Park (P)
Your vehicle has an automatic transmission shift lock control system. You have to fully apply your regular brake before you can shift from PARK (P) when the vehicle is running. See Automatic Transmission Operation on page 2-25.
If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease pressure on the shift lever – push the shift lever all the way into PARK (P) and release the shift lever button as you maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever button and move the shift lever into the gear you wish.
If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still cannot shift out of PARK (P), try this: 1. Press the ACC button twice to place the ignition in accessory mode. 2. Apply and hold the brake until the end of Step 4. 3. Shift to NEUTRAL (N). 4. Start the engine and then shift to the drive gear you want. 5. Have your vehicle inspected by your dealer as soon as possible.

After Market

Yesterday, my 2008 (17 days out of warranty) experienced the shifter lockup in park. Fortunately, on the bazzionth try it worked so I was able to get home. Incidentally, I wanted to shut the car off in neutral, but while it would shut off the engine, the DIC kept insisting that the shifter be moved to park. And, I found out, not just moved to park, but moved to park AND the shifter button released. (I'd wanted to leave it held in with a small strap.)

This morning I played with it a bit and found the solenoid was pulling, but unevenly. Rather than invest in a new assembly, I pried the solenoid itself partway out of the assembly (there are just a couple of plastic tab latches holding it in place), and removed the cam assembly that the solenoid turns. Popped the solenoid back into place and it's all good to go. Of course, now the car will start when it isn't in park. I don't regard that as much of a problem since it's so damn insistent about being left in park when shut off.

With perfect hindsight, I now recall that during the past week or two there were 3-4 times when the shifter button didn't move the first time I tried to shift out of park, but I (unfortunately) dismissed this as simply being a case of my having tried to get going before the car was quite finished with whatever initializations are needed at startup.

Moral of the story: the very first time your XLR balks at shifting out of park, make plans to do something about it. At the very least, start carrying a t-15 screwdriver.

Do They Sell An Aftermarket Solenoid ?
Thank You For Any Advice
Harley03joe

Don't exist a video to explain to take off the console and vieuw on the cable ?

Well, I'm soooooo Happy !!!! :):) I've follow the instructions written and all is ok now !!
I just done the battry off while 1 minute (the engine doesn't start after the hand work by the shifter) and now the XLR start good and the shifter left the "P" zone very easy !
The video is not necesery ! very simple to do !

Thank you guys !!!! :wave::wave:

I was so lost in with this probleme in my little contry and the dealer is so far from my home.....
This forum is great ! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Well, I'm soooooo Happy !!!! :):) I've follow the instructions written and all is ok now !!
I just done the battry off while 1 minute (the engine doesn't start after the hand work by the shifter) and now the XLR start good and the shifter left the "P" zone very easy !
The video is not necesery ! very simple to do !

Thank you guys !!!! :wave::wave:

I was so lost in with this probleme in my little contry and the dealer is so far from my home.....
This forum is great ! :thumbsup:thumbsup

JL-Z
Where Was The Video or Instructions ?
Thanks
Harley03joe

JL-Z
Where Was The Video or Instructions ?
Thanks
Harley03joe

The video don't exist.... this is not necessary :)
THe instructions were on " post 15" of this topic.

Shift interlock woes

OK Thanks
I realize that I may be a little "late to the party" on this one but I recently affected a "fix" that others with XLR shift interlock problems may wish to attempt. Since these cars have no manual override for the shift interlock system, I created my own. From the front of the console cover (where it meets the instrument panel) measure exactly 5 1/4 inches back and CAREFULLY drill a 3/16 diameter hole vertically just inside the cup holder/lighter door on the console. It can't be seen at all when the access cover is closed and will give you the ability to manually insert a thin rod or screwdriver and disengage the shift interlock cam.

Simpler; take the small rubber on which the armrest rests (there are two), open the cover of the gearbox and place it under the "small tree" so that the box is free even in off position - so with the closed contact, it is possible to slide the knob) ..; I never had a problem after doing this ...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom