Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk lid opens 3/4 of the way?

ChipD

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Alpine White Edition XLR
Good afternoon. Quick question for the experts here! Just went out to the garage to put something in the truck, hit the button and it opens 3/4 of the way and then slowly falls back shut. If you hit the button again, once it starts to slowly close, it goes up the rest of the way. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Chip

Have you tried cycling the folding top by operating the rear deck lid via the Folding Top Control switch on the console? If it works, try operating the rear deck lid locally. It's worth a shot if you haven't. Report back if the symptoms remain unchanged.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
Service Department Here I come!

Have you tried cycling the folding top by operating the rear deck lid via the Folding Top Control switch on the console? If it works, try operating the rear deck lid locally. It's worth a shot if you haven't. Report back if the symptoms remain unchanged.

Good evening! At first, only the trunk was giving me issues and the top would still open and close normally. I tried it earlier today and now the top folds back, but the trunk lid will not go back down. I checked the make sure the fluid level was up and it is between min and max (close to max). The only other thing I can think of was that when it was in for service(oil change and state inspection) they adjusted the passenger side triangle window as it was not always seating correctly. I wonder if that got something out of sorts?

I have read a lot of the posts on this issue in the past and it looks like the likely solution will need to be a reprogram I am assuming. Unless anyone else has any ideas it appears we will be off to Roth Cadillac. Thanks again guys!

When the rear deck lid stops during the stop stowage sequence, have you released the Folding Top Control button (on the console) and pressed it again? Occasionally, my top acts just like yours, and re-pressing the switch commands the rear deck lid to lower. Two or three cycles alter, and it's fine again. I'll do a top re-learn and the problem goes away for a few months. I've got a sensor operating on the hairy edge, and it needs to be replaced when I get the time.

CC

When the rear deck lid stops during the stop stowage sequence, have you released the Folding Top Control button (on the console) and pressed it again? Occasionally, my top acts just like yours, and re-pressing the switch commands the rear deck lid to lower. Two or three cycles alter, and it's fine again. I'll do a top re-learn and the problem goes away for a few months. I've got a sensor operating on the hairy edge, and it needs to be replaced when I get the time.

CC

I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

CC, you can correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought I read in the service manual that the normal trunk functions - button on the dash, remote fob button and the key on the rear bumper - are all disabled once the top operation sequence begins. I had to do a relearn of my top a week ago because my trunk wouldn't open. It has happened to me twice before, but I was able to cycle the top enough times so that the cycle finally completed and I got the chime. If for some reason the cycle is not completed, the trunk will not function normally.
I did take your advise and recorded the counts for each potentiometer in the open and closed position when doing the relearn. Then had a beer - a really good West Coast IPA (brewed in Ohio, though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't have the Service manuals manuals in front of me at the moment, but your description makes sense. I'll check later and report back if there's any additional news. Once the Folding Top Control Switch is enabled, it would likely have a higher interrupt priority to the Folding Top Control module over the other switches. In instances where my rear deck lid would partially open, then close, (using local control switches) cycling the top often fixed the problem - for awhile.

A re-learn is the quickest way to determine if it's a dropped value or legitimate calibration/faulty sensor issue.

Another quick check for you Chip, would be visually inspecting and verifying the hydraulic fluid level above the hydraulic motor, then visually inspecting the rear deck lid hydraulic cylinders, hydraulic lines, and mechanical linkages.

From the symptoms you've described, it sure sounds a lot like a faulty sensor, but a dealer's scan and/or re-learn should quickly isolate the problem.

Last edited:
I don't have the Service manuals manuals in front of me at the moment, but your description makes sense. I'll check later and report back if there's any additional news. Once the Folding Top Control Switch is enables, it would likely have a higher interrupt priority to the Folding Top Control module over the other switches. In instances where my rear deck lid would partially open, then close, (using local control switches) cycling the top often fixed the problem - for awhile.

A re-learn is the quickest way to determine of it's a dropped value or legitimate calibration/faulty sensor issue.

Another quick check for you Chip, would be visually inspecting and verifying the hydraulic fluid level above the hydraulic motor, then visually inspecting the rear deck lid hydraulic cylinders, hydraulic lines, and mechanical linkages.

From the symptoms you've described, it sure sounds a lot like a faulty sensor, but a dealer's scan and/or re-learn should quickly isolate the problem.

Thanks CCC. I checked the fluid and it looks good. Will be calling to make an appointment! I will update the group once I learn more.

I'm not having top problems currently, but how do you re-learn a top?

I haven't got my own tech2 yet, but from all I have read here I see that I need to get one soon. :cool:

Status Update

Good afternoon everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back in touch with the group. I just finished working in Boston for the last 4 weeks and had a blast this afternoon driving around my XLR. Regarding the trunk and roof, my wife took it to Roth Cadillac and they checked out the top and trunk. No sensors were coming up bad and the fluid was all good. They lubricated all of the joints and things seem to be working just fine. I will of course be keeping an eye on it, but as of right now, all is working just fine. Take care.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom