Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk Rack

Richiez

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 inferred XLR
Is there a trunk rack made for the XLR? Like the Corevette. It would be nice when the roof is down tobe able to mount a suitcase, etc.?

Is there a trunk rack made for the XLR? Like the Corevette. It would be nice when the roof is down tobe able to mount a suitcase, etc.?

:dunno: Enough said!

NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! Don't do that to your beautiful ride.
:banghead:

V Happy

Your car would be marked for life. It pains me to even think of it:mad::blinzel:

I don't know if they make one, & I agree it wouldn't look good - but if you do find one & still want to put it on, I'd be concerned about how it might affect trunk/roof function. I'm not an engineer or mechanic, but those things are pretty sensitive, & you'd be changing the weight distribution some even with nothing on it, and might get some things out of whack after loading up & driving for a while. That's not something you want to take a chance with.

Trunk Rack=:confused:

If you want to look like a Corvette, why not just buy a Corvette.:dunno:

trunk rack??

I'm thinking or the strain on the trunk mech.w/ two suit cases tied on top as it's trying to open.not a pretty site!!! just my 2cs.good luck.

Maybe a trailer hitch and a trailer? :chuckle Or just tie the handles off with a rope to the roll bars?

I don't know if they make one, & I agree it wouldn't look good - but .........I'd be concerned about how it might affect trunk/roof function. I'm not an engineer or mechanic, but those things are pretty sensitive, & you'd be changing the weight distribution some even with nothing on it, and might get some things out of whack after loading up & driving for a while. That's not something you want to take a chance with.

I'm thinking or the strain on the trunk mech.w/ two suit cases tied on top as it's trying to open.not a pretty site!!! just my 2cs.good luck.

XLRATING and ald42 are correct. I am (be) an engineer and along with the astetics, having a trunk rack would be very problematic. The trunk would have to be rated for a maximum amount of weight it could handle, especially in its fully extented position. Otherwise the luggage would be projectiles if the came loose and would definitely hurt someone. Also aside from at the airport how many people weigh their luggage prior to loading it? Probably not many people, except when really necessary. Someone is bound to overload the mechanism. So having a trunk rack on the car would not be safe. Lastly, I beleive that this is why other vehicles that also have retractable hard tops do not have luggage racks. :(

Although an interesting experiment would be to attach a bike rack on the back of the XLR and then place progressively more weight on the back to see just how much weight the vehicle could handle before the trunk ceased operation. We could then calculate how much weight could be placed directly over the trunk (including the weight of the rack) that the trunk could handle. If anyone is willing to volunteer their XLR and get the bick rack and test weights, I would be willing to design the experiment. :patriot:

Unfortunately, I would not be willing to pay to have the system repaired after it breaks. :naughty:

Also, NO. You can not use my XLR for the experiment. :chuckle

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back