Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Turn signal volume

Sandy

My XLR/V(s)
2005 light platinum
I have a 2005 xlr and cannot hear any turn signal volume. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? I've searched the subject but came up dry. Appreciate any input.. Thanks

This is an interesting question with an answer that surprised me.

My first guess would have been a flasher relay wearing out. As we all know, there isn't anything normal about the XLR, when compared to what preceded it. The XLR doesn't use a (regular) flasher relay, and there isn't a whole lot of circuitry involved. If you activate the multi-function switch on the steering column and the turn signals operate correctly, you're good to go. The circuit is working as designed.

An alternate test is to activate the hazard flasher if the multi-function switch starts acting up to verify most of the signal path is working correctly.

In normal operation, the multi-function switch completes a circuit that goes to the Body Control Module located under the carpet of the passenger side footwell. The BCM supplies the timing and completes a ground path to activate the appropriate signal lamps, taking the place of a good old-fashioned flasher relay, who's clicking sound provides an audible reminder your turn signals are operating. The BCM has a coil that's dedicated to each side of the turn signal circuit, which is about all the noise you're likely to hear. Volume-wise, it is what it is.

When troubleshooting the circuit, the bulbs, signal path, multi-function switch, and BCM are tested/replaced in that order.

I hope this helps,

CC :wave:

Last edited:
This is an interesting question with an answer that surprised me.

My first guess would have been a flasher relay wearing out. As we all know, there isn't anything normal about the XLR, when compared to what preceded it. The XLR doesn't use a (regular) flasher relay, and there isn't a whole lot of circuitry involved. If you activate the multi-function switch on the steering column and the turn signals operate correctly, you're good to go. The circuit is working as designed.

An alternate test is to activate the hazard flasher if the multi-function switch starts acting up to verify most of the signal path is working correctly.

In normal operation, the multi-function switch completes a circuit that goes to the Body Control Module located under the carpet of the passenger side footwell. The BCM supplies the timing and completes a ground path to activate the appropriate signal lamps, taking the place of a good old-fashioned flasher relay, who's clicking sound provides an audible reminder your turn signals are operating. The BCM has a coil that's dedicated to each side of the turn signal circuit, which is about all the noise you're likely to hear. Volume-wise, it is what it is.

When troubleshooting the circuit, the bulbs, signal path, multi-function switch, and BCM are tested/replaced in that order.

I hope this helps,

CC :wave:
Ccclarke
thanks so so much for the great detailed answer! I hope I've got the smarts to figure out how to run through the checks!

Turn signal

I understood the issue to be that the signals are working properly but the clicker was too quiet to be heard. Especially with the top down.
Yes, you are correct thumper, signal works, no sound to know when its on or off. Flasher on instrument panel too dim to be of any help

Don't shoot me, or think I'm being a smart**s, but two things. You do know that the signals show up on the heads up display. Secondly they are self canceling when you turn. If you are using them for changing lanes, a light tap up or down will provide three blinks of the signal for changing lanes.

P.s. If you don't see your hud, you are wearing polarized sunglasses!

I actually had to go out and listen to the turn signal on my XLR when activated. Mine makes a very clear and distinct clicking sound when a turn signal is on. I'm not sure on the XLR, but on most of my GM vehicles the "flasher relay sound" is replicated by the sound being generated in the drivers side radio speaker located on the dash. That's where it seems to be coming from on my XLR, but I don't have my service manual handy to confirm. I don't know of any way to change the volume as it is not affected by the radio volume or dependent on the radio being on or off.

Another feature on my other Cadillacs, (not tested on my XLR), is that if the turn signal is left on by accident a loud tone will sound after driving about a mile or so to let you know your turn signal is still flashing.

Last edited:
I actually had to go out and listen to the turn signal on my XLR when activated. Mine makes a very clear and distinct clicking sound when a turn signal is on. I'm not sure on the XLR, but on most of my GM vehicles the "flasher relay sound" is replicated by the sound being generated in the drivers side radio speaker located on the dash. That's where it seems to be coming from on my XLR, but I don't have my service manual handy to confirm. I don't know of any way to change the volume as it is not affected by the radio volume or dependent on the radio being on or off.

Another feature on my other Cadillacs, (not tested on my XLR), is that if the turn signal is left on by accident a loud tone will sound after driving about a mile or so to let you know your turn signal is still flashing.

I've heard a very faint clicking from the left dash speaker, but I have to lean as close as I can get to the speaker. I guess the answer lies with replacement or upgrade of whatever unit is generating the current clicking?

also cubby, my lane-changing signal only flashes as long as I hold the lever down. In other words if I hold it briefly it will only flash once, not three times. Should it flash three times?

Last edited:
My 2006 flashes three times.

It may have been a change in the '06 model year. Both my Cadillacs work like that. The '10 Taurus SHO doesn't, but our '15 Explorer Sport does.

also cubby, my lane-changing signal only flashes as long as I hold the lever down. In other words if I hold it briefly it will only flash once, not three times. Should it flash three times?

Don't shoot me, or think I'm being a smart**s, but two things. You do know that the signals show up on the heads up display. Secondly they are self canceling when you turn. If you are using them for changing lanes, a light tap up or down will provide three blinks of the signal for changing lanes.

P.s. If you don't see your hud, you are wearing polarized sunglasses!

Just chiming in on this. :blinzel:

Picture this: Beautiful :chuckle blonde lady in her very early twilight years cruising down the road, top down, Rock music :cool: making her day just right, singing along.......oblivious of the blinker ... :( ... Yup! You know how much it drives me crazy when I follow someone like that?

Mine is fairly quiet too, my favorite sunglasses ARE Polarized (I tilt my head to get a glance at the HUD: yes I should have XLR only sun glasses) PLUS - although the signal does cancel on a full 90 degree turn it fails to click off at two 'odd angled' intersections in the area of our Florida home and more than once this 'old gal' had realized it had not shut off ....... 4 miles later when I go to signal another turn. :mad: It happened a few times before I realized that intersection was problematic and it has not happened since.

turn signal

whats a turn signal? I just roll the window down and point my arm for left and bend it up for a right turn. Must be missing some new techno ollegy that passed me by.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom