Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Underhood Light

Just lift the hood. I open my hood every time I park the car in the garage to vent the heat and the light illuminates until the RAP kicks in and automatically turns it off. If your light isn't working as advertised, check the bulb and switch in that order.

CC

It also could be unplugged. When I have it open for extended periods I sometimes disconnect it. It's a small connector, ls of car, back by the hood hinge.
As mentioned, it only stays on for about 5 minutes after first opening the hood.
Bruce

Thanks everyone,

However, when I open the hood it does not come on. Also it does not come on when I turn on the lights. I tried turning them on and off when the hood is open. Interestingly enough I never noticed it ever being on in the years that I have owned the car.

I will see if there is a loose connector, but If there is it would have to be under the hood cover/insulation. I did not see any switch on the light itself, but the light switch inside the car turns seems to operate normally.

I will also check to see if the bulb is out. Hopefully the owners manual will say how to gain access to it.

As I understand it, the underhood light has a mercury switch built into the light unit itself. This should complete the electric circuit as the hood is opened and illuminate the bulb. Presumably the "battery saver" function will operate after 10 minutes or so and shut off the power to the circuit from the battery. Hope this info helps.

How do I get the underhood light to operate when I open the hood?

:dunno::confused::dunno:

What underhood light??:dunno::dunno: After seeing this thread, I looked under my hood and lo and behold no light. When I too the car in for a checkup I told the service writer about it. When I checked out he told me that there is NO UNDERHOOD LIGHT INSTALLED. He could offer no explanation, go figure.:blinzel::blinzel::confused:

From an earlier thread on this subject, I understand that after the 2006 model year, GM eliminated the underhood light for some reason. I bought and installed the factory light for my '07, but find that there is no existing power feed from the vehicle front wiring harness to the light as there is when the light is installed at the factory. I am still puzzling out how to best get power to the short harness which comes attached to the light itself.

What underhood light??:dunno::dunno: After seeing this thread, I looked under my hood and lo and behold no light. When I too the car in for a checkup I told the service writer about it. When I checked out he told me that there is NO UNDERHOOD LIGHT INSTALLED. He could offer no explanation, go figure.:blinzel::blinzel::confused:

Okay Patrickv2221, I'll admit it. I stole your light. :chuckle

However, it still doesn't work! :laugh::laugh:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry