Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Using FOB to unlock house door?

thumper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V
It's great being able to walk up to my XLR and have the doors unlock automatically as soon as I get near. They also lock as soon as I walk away. No need to mess with keys or even press a button on the FOB.

I'd love to install an electronic lock on the front door of my house that would be triggered by my XLR FOB in the same way. Just think, no fumbling around for keys with five bags of groceries in your hand.

I haven't seen such a product available anywhere. It must be possible to use an RFID sensor as used on the XLR along with some electronics to trigger a standard electronic house lock.

I wouldn't mind having a go at trying to make one (I'm a retired Electrical Engineer) but I would need a lot of information on how the XLR RFID system works and I don't know where I can get that.

Any ideas?

Have you thought about a Butler? Very useful as they can do a lot more than open doors.:chuckle

Have you thought about a Butler? Very useful as they can do a lot more than open doors.:chuckle
I watched a show the other night called shark tank. A guy on there invented a door lock that works like that but with an IPhone. They bought it and plan to bring it to market. I will sure buy it if it comes out.

It's great being able to walk up to my XLR and have the doors unlock automatically as soon as I get near. They also lock as soon as I walk away. No need to mess with keys or even press a button on the FOB.

I'd love to install an electronic lock on the front door of my house that would be triggered by my XLR FOB in the same way. Just think, no fumbling around for keys with five bags of groceries in your hand.

I haven't seen such a product available anywhere. It must be possible to use an RFID sensor as used on the XLR along with some electronics to trigger a standard electronic house lock.

I wouldn't mind having a go at trying to make one (I'm a retired Electrical Engineer) but I would need a lot of information on how the XLR RFID system works and I don't know where I can get that.

Any ideas?

I like the thought. I can't tell you how many times I have walked up to my front door and find my self pressing my key fob attempting to open my front door. Good thought!

I watched a show the other night called shark tank. A guy on there invented a door lock that works like that but with an IPhone. They bought it and plan to bring it to market. I will sure buy it if it comes out.

I also watched that episode, it was a very interesting concept.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea how good this company is or the quality of their products and services, but I have seen a local representatives car here in the Twin Cities driving around. Seems like they have already made the technology available from your smartphone or tablet. I also know several home security companies offer these kinds of technologies as part of their services.

simple, affordable home automation

Not quite the same but..... I have replaced all of my dead bolt locks with electronic combination locks. It is not automatic but I never carry a house key. Five key punches and a knob twist and I'm in.

I saw an electronic dead bolt lock w/key fobs at Costco last night for $149.

I saw an electronic dead bolt lock w/key fobs at Costco last night for $149.

Yes, I have one like that on the door to my garage. Trouble is, you still need to fumble around in your pocket, get out a dedicated FOB and press the button. The one I have also has small RFID tags but you have to swipe them across the lock. Not much better than using a key.

What I'm after is a lock that detects my XLR FOB in my pocket from 3 or 4 feet way and unlocks the door.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom