Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What are/were they for?

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
Above the inside rear view mirror, under where the roof locks in above the windshield, I have two rectangle shaped objects that look like they could have been a set of inside lights. These are just black plastic and they look like you can remove them although I have not tried.

Any idea what they are for?

Don't see anything like that on my '06 V. Take a picture and post it, maybe we can find out what they are. Perhaps it was something aftermarket the previous owner had installed.

Above the inside rear view mirror, under where the roof locks in above the windshield, I have two rectangle shaped objects that look like they could have been a set of inside lights. These are just black plastic and they look like you can remove them although I have not tried.

I have them too. I thought they were for the XM radio transmitter but I could be wrong.:confused:

Those two rectangular boxes behind the mirror on the windshield are your cellular/navigation antennas. I believe it's also for on star and GPS. I also have them wouldn't try removing. I also have a 04 could have changed configurations in later years?

What are/Were they for?

Markski
I think one of those boxes are for the rain sensor. Those are factory on my 06 V . Not a good idea to remove them.
V Happy

Guess I read his statement wrong, he didn't say mounted on the windshield, I assumed he meant on the upper windshield frame. Stella is correct. Below the mirror, on the windshield is the rain sensor, for the rain-sensing wipers. The large rectangular box on the passenger side is the Cellular (OnStar) & Navigation Antenna Assembly. The GPS Sensor for the Navigation is under the dashpad.

Is there an access area under the posts where the roof grabs these posts when it locks in place? What I'm looking at and asked about is right under the two posts that the roof locks/grabs when closing. They have a small checker pattern stamped on them the whole length of them.

I know what the rain sensor and the box to the right of it for the GPS but those are not what I'm talking about. These are under the windshield frame under the two roof secure posts.

On a Ford SHO, (maybe other cars too) these would be map lights that you press and the light comes on/off.

What are/Were they for?

MarkSki
I have read your explanation of these object twice. I have also went to the garage and looked at my car twice and I do not think I have anything you are describing. Sorry I miss lead you on the rain sensor. I believe Cubby558 is right ! If you can post a picture but I believe what you are describing has been added. What year?
V Happy:dunno:

.....On a Ford SHO, (maybe other cars too) these would be map lights that you press and the light comes on/off.

Also I would like to remind you of the rules and request that you please not use the "F Bomb" (Ford) on this site anymore. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ford, Ford, Ford, Ford!!!!

Also I would like to remind you of the rules and request that you please not use the "F Bomb" (Ford) on this site anymore. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

• thatssotrue_3061_1330698295[1].jpg
    thatssotrue_3061_1330698295[1].jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 205
what is it??

Markski,I know what your talking about my shale int.has it, a panel 1"x 8"s x 1/4" thick w/ 2 checkerd panels on it.it looks like it snaps on to the header?? my guess it's for access to the mech. to pull down the top because it's right under that area?? I didn't try to pry it off.40d F don't want to snap it.just my 2cs.

Everyones forgiveness please. :buttslap:

Markski,I know what your talking about my shale int.has it, a panel 1"x 8"s x 1/4" thick w/ 2 checkerd panels on it.it looks like it snaps on to the header?? my guess it's for access to the mech. to pull down the top because it's right under that area?? I didn't try to pry it off.40d F don't want to snap it.just my 2cs.

YES YES THAT'S IT!! I AM NUT (TOO) CRAZY AFTER ALL!

I didn't want to snap it either and thought it would be safer to ask first. I've got to get a set of service manuals.

Two things I would like to do.. the passenger's side rear side window doesn't come up enough for the round tab to fit into the hole prefided when you lower the top. There must be a way to adjust this. Also the rear deck could go down a liittle more so it lays flat when the top is down like it lays flat when the topis up.

I have hopes the service manual(s) cover subjects l;ike this. I hope they are better than the 1988 Corvette manual is..That's almost helpful!

Roof service manual

I have a pdf file (740 pages 8mb) about the folding roof. It has diagnostics with a Tech 2 and adjustments and clearances in it. I'm sure this would help you. If you want it, please PM me your e-mail and I'll see if I can send it.

Larry

YES YES THAT'S IT!! I AM NUT (TOO) CRAZY AFTER ALL!

I didn't want to snap it either and thought it would be safer to ask first. I've got to get a set of service manuals.

Two things I would like to do.. the passenger's side rear side window doesn't come up enough for the round tab to fit into the hole prefided when you lower the top. There must be a way to adjust this. Also the rear deck could go down a liittle more so it lays flat when the top is down like it lays flat when the topis up.

I have hopes the service manual(s) cover subjects l;ike this. I hope they are better than the 1988 Corvette manual is..That's almost helpful!

Mark the thick service manuals cover adjusting and taking apart everything on the car. If you plan on working on your own these would be worth the money. I had to adjust my driver side rear window so that it sealed perfect when in the up position. I would highly recommend measuring thread length and paying close attention to what adjustments u make. U can find service manuals on eBay for around 150 bucks. Good luck.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom