Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What did you do to / with your XLR today?

You're most welcome. :)

You have to admit, it is kind of fun though isn't it. Oh, and I wanted to say your car looks great and a few pictures up, your broom trunk holder-upper. :lol: Gotta love practicality - seriously!

I have an internal war going on, quite seriously, regarding the folding roof - I'll never use it, ever! I've done my share of convertibles, and I just prefer this car as a hardtop and the look of it as a hardtop. I figure if one was to really go to it, I'd bet there's two or three hundred pounds of shtuff one could heave, just from all the top 'junk'.

The suspension I'm sticking with for the moment. I get the 'vette coil-over plan very much, I just want to see what can be done with the electronic stuff all dialed in and set up properly.

Gord :thumbsup

The broomstick mod? Yeah, it's nice - surprisngly enough the roof hydraulic parts were'nt all that heavy. Just a lot of small parts. . . . My xLR is def not in the condition I wish it currently is, but I don't mind - I don't have a garage any more, so it will always have to be outside. Right now it's perfect - I have nothing but time. . . . I haven't even done a thing to it since I bought it last year for 5 Grand, till this crap hit. It just seemed like a great deal atm & I always did want one of these. Now I have time, not a whole lot of $ - but I have the time - unfortunately, otherwise I'd put about another 5 into it & run it on a nice nitrous shot - sh!t, the motor's for these are cheaper than a tail light

I had the MRC's on my STS fully functional, but that was almost a decade ago. . . .I remember it rode excellent. Back then, each MRC was about 700 Bucks for my car. . . . I sold it as soon as it seen 70k

Gawd I loved that car, after that I always had to have at least one Cadillac around

IMG_1346 (1).jpg

Finally finished the base and clear, had to do the clear in three sections just to try and keep the dirt out of it. Not sure why but every little fuz piece no matter how small shows up like a sore thumb! Mostly because of the high gloss I think.
Now it's time to put everything together then wet sand some areas and polish!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 250
Finally finished the base and clear, had to do the clear in three sections just to try and keep the dirt out of it. Not sure why but every little fuz piece no matter how small shows up like a sore thumb! Mostly because of the high gloss I think.
Now it's time to put everything together then wet sand some areas and polish!

Looks mighty fine Vetter - good work! :thumbsup

That's cool

For the $, I rather get tint

LSN,,,, Get both the tint and the diecast model.... your getting a $1200 check to spend. If you live close, I'll even deliver to your house ;)

LSN,,,, Get both the tint and the diecast model.... your getting a $1200 check to spend. If you live close, I'll even deliver to your house ;)

Ha,

Me or my Lac don't live above our means

1,200 Bucks:rolleyes:

Our business has lost tens of thousands of Dollars this year already:ugh:

Got it to my guy today to work on a few issues. . . .It just goes from shop to shop to at least pass some work around

image1 (7).jpg

Clean up in aisle 3!

Dull day here. Warming but a bit or rain so I got to some additional clean-up I wanted to 'investigate'.

Now if I'm doing a clean-up a la 'detailing', it's really quite fun to get right in to it - especially these days with even extra time to burn.

behind the license plate gizmo.jpg

So here's a little warning for everyone.

Not knowing the entire history of #67, all I can do is guess that the license plate panel had never been removed from the car...ever. The amount of sand and debris in there was really substantial, and add to that, the mounting pin backing washers were obviously not well protected or plated at all.

You may notice some traces of rust where they were tightened against the mounting holes. I'll get to that and I'll clean up and coat those backing washers properly before the re-install.

The big nuisance happened to be one of the little 4mm diameter license plate lamp screws. Again, poorly plated if at all and while 3 of the 4 came out with a bit of heat and penetrating oil, the 4th one snapped and took a couple of hours to fidget out the remains. If you break one, you'll need a small right-angled drill to get to it, and a shipload of patience.

The word of advice is, if your XLR is still stuck in a holding pattern or maybe if you're just curious, go check this area of the car out carefully. Force nothing. Oil and wait and oil and wait because being so tiny, there's little to no room for error if one does happen to snap.

I happen to have the good fortune to have enough of the necessary tools and equipment to handle this, and an abundant supply of fasteners from all sorts of other things. All the fasteners I've removed go right in the trash and I'll replace 'em with stainless, and lube their tiny little threads properly prior to the install.

Ditto for the rear hood release switch (known to become intermittent and require rework or changing). Those screws were rusty however did come out without any fuss, but I will make sure they are replaced with stainless as well.

I don't think your car has to necessarily be driven in wet or dirty conditions. When driving, it's a low pressure area which means corrosive exhaust fumes and fine road dust must get blown up in to that area all the time. Curious that GM didn't seal this area a bit better and consider even one notch above average fasteners.

Gord :thumbsup

48B2F4FD-61BB-4940-A4A2-F21FCBE74FB4.jpg77B21993-9179-4493-A477-FD17EA84A68D.jpgimage3.jpg^ That's like the only thing I haven't removed yet - the license plate panel, reminds me of the CTS's so much

Got the windows all limo tinted + the tail lights partially vinyl wrapped + did some cf vinyl on the 3rd brake light

Last edited:
how does the side marker in the taillight shine thru the wrap? that would fail inspection in our state .It looks good though. I would wrap it in car color. I assume you are hiding the broken cracked top of the lights ? We have fixed a few with a 3m red wrap that is almost the same color of the light and looks nice. wrap the windshield post in black for me and let me know how it looks. I was going to do one like that but never got around to it. Save me the time. HAHA

A well needed complete paint stripping of old wax, with MultiClean, then some paint correction, then a ceramic coating to a give Roxy her a high gloss shine! Next is add the Quick N Slick to seal the ceramic coat, then top with Endure XXL whole car including wheels, glass, then tires coated with Tire Shine, then interior cleaning with leather cleaning & conditioning! Done with all my CroftgateUSA Products, which i sell and ship free
166f5a48e8107bf28d981b831ac8dafc.jpg

!
Everything but ceramic coating (for Dealers Only) is available on my website:
Quality Products for Quality Cars – Powered by CroftgateUSA
38b5d912edca86458480e264c2ca1b7b.jpg

666cd731a15e5769bd1909be307bee43.jpg

e5ab7334f272bee55b1a722a9d83948d.jpg

133c9312f93134dc73e96397c326dabc.jpg

f29d27953c4ca95f960c87c9123e7cfc.jpg

69cbc22da300b1dccdbdc0757b5ac1ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G/Daddy,,, I like your wall art display and A/C in the garage :thumbsup

Maybe the garage floor might be your next project.....needs new life if time allows

Nice job on the XLR

^ that’s amazing!

we have no state inspections here in AZ & no emissions in my county

we can still run cat’less cars

G/Daddy,,, I like your wall art display and A/C in the garage :thumbsup

Maybe the garage floor might be your next project.....needs new life if time allows

Nice job on the XLR

That garage floor was in the talks again today..... LOL YES IT’S COMING

Last edited:
Burned the #7 coil pack - went to pull the plugs & one just shatters. And, the plug wells have a little oil in em

The driver side rail has already been swapped to the newer style. So, I’ll be replacing the passenger side coil rail & doing the valve covers here shortly0B1161FC-FD78-4EA9-8FE5-6EBAEF30FA81.jpg
CE96410B-A665-4C9D-97FE-40A788B99CDA.jpg

that's sort of a loaded question. Like how many pieces of chicken to feed a family of 4 HAHA 30-40,000 if you are not an aggressive driver.

^ This is kinda funny, I suppose

My neighbor drives like a total nut, I seen him blow through the front set in 25-30k

Just like a clutch, he burned his at 120k

The last car I took apart had a perfect female driver since day 1 - the clutch looked brand new at almost 130k - thickness was off less than 1mm compared to the new friction disk

My brakes pads are still the same ones that was on the car when I purchased her@ 53k and now at almost 103k

other than oil, brakes are the cheapest thing you can replace on the car. They "BREAK" down over a period of time .All brake companies will tell you instead of mileage look for number of heat cycles. They get brittle and rotors get glazed. pads may look new but they are not. If the brakes on a car are 7-8 years old you will be amazed at how much better material is out there in form of ceramics that do not dust up, that run cooler and stop so much better. for most people they are just better brakes. when I had a paper route I used to get 2-3000 miles out of pads and used to check the dealerships for take offs that still had material on them. every now and then I would get a brand new looking set of pads that when I put on the car would not stop for anything .I would take them to the grinder and they were hard as rock until you removed a few 1/16ths of them . Then they would work fine. with the vettes being the same you can gets brakes and rotors for cheap to thousands of dollars. And they never will be discontinued like other parts .:)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom