Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

What did you do to / with your XLR today?

Took her off “life support” since early March had a nice 30-45 min drive cycled the top and got her “blood flowing”. Ran her at some points 65 mph (speed limit ) stretching 70. But mainly back roads.
Here’s a map of my route not to scale though
8460e4113bc0972ffac92499d51ae97f.jpg

Really international golf parkway to st rd 16 to us1 north back to international golf parkway,Then home. Storms in the forecast today. So I didn’t have anytime to really stop. But encase I had my mask [emoji40].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, this was actually yesterday

Swapped the passenger side coil pack set - she’s back to firing on all 8. . . Valve covers are next

3AB0CF09-F8D0-4377-B860-DD5BBF7AFF05.jpg

Well, this was actually yesterday

Swapped the passenger side coil pack set - she’s back to firing on all 8. . . Valve covers are next

View attachment 9514

Love the all tinted windows. :thumbsup For good or bad, 70% (which is the factory tint level) happens to be the provincial maximum for front door windows here. :( All other windows you can do what you'd like - windshield, only a sunstrip of max 6 inches. Fines for not obeying...astronomical.

Prior to receiving my car, I was told that the engine had done the same as yours: leaky valve cover on the driver's side which filled a sparkplug well with oil. That was all fixed but...I'll comment to you that if you get extra bored, you might want to check just how much oil and shtuff has collected down on the subframe. I've been pulling out handfuls of oil-soaked sand and road dirt for quite some time while I've been tinkering with the suspension. I figured what with all the spare time at the moment, I may as well, after all, the next person in there just might be myself! ;)

Took mine to my doctor appointment today then ran a couple errands. Note to self though. Need to go get my tires rotated and also need to get oil changed because my steering fluid was low because I had them check it back in March when I heard this knocking sound everytime I turned the wheel in a certain direction. So I need to get it in to service but I have 65% of oil life left.

most of these cars get oil changed due to age of oil and not mileage. I dont think the onboard takes that into consideration. 15,000 miles or one year. Most run out of time before mileage.

Oil change Q & A

l-T-S,,,, If using full-syn oil, do you really feel its needed to change the oil annually? If so why? What hard evidence is there to prove this opinion?

I'm not getting on your butt, just feel driving a car with full-syn and taking two years to put on 7K miles, is alright to go that far in miles and time before

doing the next oil change. Why am I wrong? :dunno:

What’s is the difference if the oil is setting in a bottle waiting to be purchased for years on self, or in storage area on a self or if it’s just in setting in the oil pan of your engine ? Does oil actually go bad, just because of the age, while in the engine?

Only real dif is if you let a motor sit a long time, it goes dry

But, personally I have never had issues with it. . . My xF has 8k miles, it sat for almost 5 years straight - started up & drove it home on the original oil when it had about 5-6k. . . . Changed the oil, still runs perfect

Here in AZ, they hardy ever mess with you when you're tint is too dark. . . . I am thinking of getting the windshield done too. Wife says no - I say, it'd look way cool not being able to see inside at all

I was getting ready to do the valve cover gaskets, but the local parts place is fresh out. . . . I pulled the coil packs & checked the plugs. . . . They look great for being original Delco's with almost 129k. . . . They are a bit wet tho. Cleaned everything off - seems to run a tad stronger

I'm surprised it doesn't form a random miss since the threads were quite wet

Today I took mine on a long top down drive. Scenic back roads then blast down the interstate. She got a work out at all different speeds, throttle inputs, straights and curves. Good times!

not an oil expert .I just know that MB and BMW along with Caddy all require the oil to be changed ones a year even if low mileage.
I am sure they like to sell oil but it seems they all say to replace every year because once exposed to the elements the oil will break down. Driven or not. Before synthetics we used to change Mercedes oil every 6 months . I would see that the removed oil only had 1500 miles or less and ran it in my old dodge all the time. I hardly ever changed it as it used about a quart every 500 miles. Just a new filter every now and then and kept it topped off. Went 150,000 miles that way funny thing I would put a 1/2 quart in as soon as it used it. When it was about gone I stopped and found out it used the first 1/2 quart in a few hundred miles but di not go any lower for 100-1200 miles.

Mobil 1™ Annual Protection lasts for one full year | Mobil™

I'll post it on here, but won't tell my son - Can't promote myself doing this stuff

Took it out for drive around the block with the wife, and got into with a 2020 Charger Rt. . . We got to about 90 from a slight roll and he barely started to pull away at about 60-65. . . . She's got some left to er

I try not to do this stuff on the street - specially having a CDL & all

Well my helper kept bugging me because he was bored. So I gave him a job to do
2de26a0da5876ebf4a9b1eb77505348b.jpg

edc34e0e418059b1ae686835642c1b6e.jpg

9203bf0d993fc624aecb80b54db0882b.jpg

Just getting sometime to finally tinker with my new to me XLR-V. I bought a digital factory service manual, and have been able to neatly take some pieces apart for cleaning and maintenance.

- took the main console off to repair the arm wrest drawer, clean and vacuum all the mess underneath.
- repair the small drawer next to the cig lighter. (one of the tabs in the sliding mechanism broke off, glad I found it lying underneath.)
- cig lighter is not working, want to troubleshoot that.

IMAGE 2020-05-25 20:08:12.jpg

- de-badge the rear trunk, as I'll paint it soon and honestly prefer the clean look.

IMAGE 2020-05-25 20:08:14.jpg

I also found out the guy who put my engine together :), Mr. Borgerding.

IMAGE 2020-05-25 20:08:16.jpg

- another idea is to remove the classic front crest and wreath, and replace with a rear ATS-V emblem, like below.

25cb80e57287e97f9a29c373c40dc0ca.jpg

Went for a long ride. Well the ride was to get a haircut. Then later in early afternoon went to get my tires rotated at the tire shop. Then that in return meant for me to go to the dealership. The guy at the tire shop must not know where the rest button for the tires are. Once he got the tires rotated he came back to me and asked if my remote was working because he couldn’t lock or unlock the car with the remote. I said it works but when you are close to the car it doesn’t work esp when you have the door open. When he gave me the key fob he went inside to ask his boss how to reset the tpm or the sensors. When he came out he went back to the car and tried to do it. But couldn’t find the right button. I said my dealer is right around the corner and I’ll have them do it. Then I was close to my oil change by 2 -3 hundred miles. So the dealership did that and found out my service advisor either got fired or quit before the Corvid virus hit. Then the service guys that work on my car found I needed steering fluid flush with a new hose and brakes flushed. They found some mold residue in the area if one of the hoses. So that part is on order. One left in the whole country. The parts guy called where it was and that guy said the guy where it’s being sent from had to wait 3 months for that hose. So after a week my new service advisor will be calling me to bring the car in to install the part and flush the brakes. I guess that’s why so close to when my oil change is due that I keep hearing a screech sound when I’m turning the wheel. I don’t know if the tire guy was new or just didn’t know how to reset on a cadillac Xlr. This was discount tire they should know how to reset the tire sensors right.

Does anyone else run 20” rims on there xlr?

The V-s 19" from the factory so lots of base model owners upgrade to 19's, but I believe there are members running 20's too. Search the threads.
BTW: Welcome to the forum, Where are you in Ontario? I am from the Carlisle area of Hamilton.
Sandy

Well my helper kept bugging me because he was bored. So I gave him a job to do
2de26a0da5876ebf4a9b1eb77505348b.jpg

edc34e0e418059b1ae686835642c1b6e.jpg

9203bf0d993fc624aecb80b54db0882b.jpg

That's hilarious Hawkeye, must have been a PIA to set that up so he wouldn't fall!

I had an interior/exterior steam and polish done today. The car feels and smells brand new. Figured out the paint is in too bad of a condition to leave it alone. Thinking of getting a military green wrap or some sort of black vinyl... Not now. Sometime after it's mechanically sound.

Going to have the wheels painted black tomorrow 😎

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_122515.jpg
    IMG_20200605_122515.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 230
That's hilarious Hawkeye, must have been a PIA to set that up so he wouldn't fall!

Nope his elbows were resting on the car. He was on his knees in the trunk

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry