Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Which?? Why??

F

FOURTEEN

Each owner has made the decision to buy an XLR, or an XLR-V.

I can see some advantages and disadvantages of each, but WHICH did YOU choose and WHY??

:willy_nilly:

XLR

I chose the XLR for the adaptive cruise control, it is a great feature. I was able to get the upper mesh grill from popbigguy and had it installed as I like the looks of the mesh grill much better. I felt at my age I did not need the extra horsepower or upkeep. I have the same motor in my SRX and both have the go power from the traffic lites that I am used to. Last year I made three great roadtrips in the XLR (over 10,000 miles) and I loved every minute I was behind the wheel. Passing on the Interstates I had to really watch my speed as I was up to 100 in the blink of an eye. I averaged 70 miles an hour from Colorado Springs to Flagstaff ( 700 miles in 10 hours ) considering I had to stop for fuel and restrooms I thought that was very good timing. First Robin

I chose the XLR for the adaptive cruise control, it is a great feature. First Robin

No ACC on the V! Isn't that stupid!! Same for the STS-V!

My son has an FX-45 with ACC. He loves it too.

A friend of mine has a Lotus Elise. That doesn't even have CC! He drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and had great fun, but the three hundred miles of Interstate to get to the Parkway with no CC nearly crippled him!!

I ended up with an XLR, mainly because it was collision damaged (front end gone) and this was probably the only way I would ever be able to afford owning one. I absolutely LOVE IT!! I agree the the ACC is a great feature and, if I had had a choice, I probably would have went with the XLR because of it. I also don't need the extra horsepower... the 4.6 has ALL I will ever want or need.

At the time I bought mine the V was just coming out and standards could be had cheap. With what you can get a V for these days I think I would go with the V though I would miss the ACC and leather seats.

What's cruise control? Just keep the right foot planted to the floorboard, and flash the lights. Seriously, I rarely use cruise control, I find it way too annoying and intrusive, especially the adaptive cruise. That's why they put a driver in the car, to control that stuff, but that's a personal thing.
I drove both several times and back to back on the same roads. I liked the V a lot, all the features, like the seats, grill, hood, the wood trim and especially the extra power. In the end, I couldn't really justify a V and keeping my Corvette. No matter what some people feel or say, these are two different cars, and I use my Corvette like a Corvette and would miss the more muscular feel and performance of it over the Cadillac. Yes, I can hear Standby firing up his flame thrower now, but at the end of the day the Corvette is a better canyon carver than the XLR.
I bought a XLR (non -V) so I could keep my Corvette too. The V's seem to hold their price premium over the base, and if I was only getting one I would get the V. I’m at work, and haven’t had my coffee yet, but I think that covers it.
Bruce

I bought it strictly for the look - exclusiveness and Cadillac name. From the first time I saw the conception Evoq, I knew I wanted THAT car. And I wanted the entry year (what a repair nightmare!) and wanted to keep it in it's original state ('have all of the original parts - grill, etc. - in storage) ... Since it was my choice and my dd, speed was never a factor. Heck - I got stopped and I was only doing 82. With all the traffic in San Diego, the ACC is hardly ever activated unless we are on the open roads .... it's useless in stop & go traffic. I just loved the way the XLR looks and it's comfort. Here it is a few years later and still - every time I open the back door and see her in the garage I get the same feeling - she is so beautiful.

Ray had chosen the MB for his roadster ..... but, hmmmm, somehow he drives Lola 80% of the time. :rolleyes: :pat: Personally - I don't like the way the MB "sits" .... too low for my comfort and not comfortable at all. It does feel sturdy and tight ... but I still have never been a fan of the MB. I don't even like the look of them .... too European .... :)patriot:)

I would definitely choose another XLR - and again - for ME - it wouldn't matter if it was a V or not. And red .... it would be red. Black is the optimal color for a sports car .... but what a b**ch to keep clean.

See - different strokes for different folks ... and, apparently for men vs women! :lol:

I decided to get the "V" over the base for one reason, the SUPERCHARGER! Even though I certainly don't need it and can live without it, I don't have a clue why the adaptive cruise is not available in the XLR-V. I assume it has got to be because of the supercharger, but can't say I understand why exactly.

I decided to get the "V" over the base for one reason, the SUPERCHARGER! Even though I certainly don't need it and can live without it, I don't have a clue why the adaptive cruise is not available in the XLR-V. I assume it has got to be because of the supercharger, but can't say I understand why exactly.

The module bolts on the left frame rail behind the lower grille, which on the XLR is green-tinted plastic. The ACC control module can't "see" through the lower mesh grille on the V; you would think they could have designed a window in the lower mesh in order to be able to incorporate the ACC module.

I believe the module also would block much needed air the V requires; that was the main reason for the delete.

With that said, I would think the engineers could have worked around it but the fact the car still carries the same radio head unit and heads-up display as it did when the base model hit the streets speaks volumes about where the engineers figured into the equation.

I believe the module also would block much needed air the V requires; that was the main reason for the delete.

With that said, I would think the engineers could have worked around it but the fact the car still carries the same radio head unit and heads-up display as it did when the base model hit the streets speaks volumes about where the engineers figured into the equation.

Speaking of the HUD, does anyone else have polarized sunglasses that makes the display invisible? When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with it. However, when I removed my sunglasses there it was... I don't have a problem seeing the HUD in my Corvette with the glasses. I'm guessing there has got to be a difference in the windshield itself that causes the problem. Guess I need to buy some new sunglasses...

If memory serves me right I think we were told at the factory the lower mesh grill on the V would cause interferance with the radar that is used in the ACC. It has nothing to do with supercharger. That is why I love my XLR with the upper V grill and the lower standard grill so I can have my ACC. Of course the poor folks that live in Calif., with so much congestion really don't get a chance to use theirs. That is why I love Colorado and also on long trips it sure is a great feature to have. First Robin

Speaking of the HUD, does anyone else have polarized sunglasses that makes the display invisible? When I first got the car I thought something was wrong with it. However, when I removed my sunglasses there it was... I don't have a problem seeing the HUD in my Corvette with the glasses. I'm guessing there has got to be a difference in the windshield itself that causes the problem. Guess I need to buy some new sunglasses...

I've not noticed that in my '07 X... I'm able to see the HUD with or without sunglasses.

ACC is not included on the "V" because the intercooler takes up the necessary space.

_________

If your sunglasses aren't polarized you will see the HUD.

Floyd (BB)

Yes .... on our '04 .... can't wear polarized glasses .... :cool:
Every thing else is fine.

Each owner has made the decision to buy an XLR, or an XLR-V.

I can see some advantages and disadvantages of each, but WHICH did YOU choose and WHY??

:willy_nilly:

I have the 07 Passion Red XLR (no V), because of the color. When I saw the color online, I had to have it. Bought the car without seeing it. To me, this is the best red Cadillac has done on the XLR, and red is the only option for me. I don't care about the V, I have more than enough power in Passion Diva. (guess I could even drive the Shelby, if I really needed that extra boost, as if Hellboy would ever let that happen) :bash::bash::bash: My 04 was Crimson Pearl (a darker red), and both Allantes were bright red. I use the acc every once in a while. As for the HUD, our 05 Corvette was much superior to the XLR.

I find it amazing, even after all these years, the XLR still commands and receives all the looks. :worship::worship::worship::worship:

I Chose the regular XLR. I like to play around with cars and see what type of horsepower I can get myself. You have to figure with more litres in the engine....you must be able to get more horsepower then your stock or even modified V. Now the problem is....finding any aftermarket parts! I think Vortech makes a supercharger that will fit.

Any one have a XLR that has more HP then a Stock XLR-V???

You have to figure with more litres in the engine....you must be able to get more horsepower then your stock or even modified V. Now the problem is....finding any aftermarket parts! I think Vortech makes a supercharger that will fit.

Sounds like you are overly optimistic! 2/10 of a liter isn’t that much more! The V engine is not just a smaller Northstar engine with a supercharger! Per Car and Driver magazine:

“The new 4.4-liter supercharged version of GM's Northstar V-8 is an exceedingly sophisticated engine. Pressurized by a GM-designed and -patented Roots-type blower made by Eaton, the engine supplies prodigious torque throughout most of its operating range. Continuously variable valve timing at all four cams undoubtedly helps spread the available torque around so the car almost always responds to a jab at the pedal with a surge of acceleration. The Northstar is also endowed with desirable versatility, able to purr around at lower engine speeds as befits a luxury marque, then snarl to the redline with almost shocking ferocity. Part of this Jekyll-and-Hyde act is due to a muffler that suppresses low-rev noise levels and then switches to a more free-flowing mode at higher speeds when a vacuum-operated valve opens, allowing the exhaust gases a more direct path to the atmosphere. Also part of this suave schizophrenia is a host of detail work done on the Northstar to retain necessary levels of refinement along with elevated power output. The reduction in displacement (from 4.6 to 4.4 liters) was achieved by reducing the size of the cylinder bore — thus increasing the amount of metal between those cylinders — and was considered necessary in the interests of durability. That blower is housed in a casting that is integrated with the Laminova tube-type intercooler and the intake tract in one rigid unit, and it works extremely well at reducing unwanted supercharger whine. The engine block is a unique casting that provides improved coolant flow and has a new oil gallery to supply under-piston cooling jets. Lower-compression cast-alloy pistons necessitated a rebalancing of the crankshaft, and the accessory drive required a redesign and a new, wider three-sheave pulley to power the blower. That's no small issue, since the supercharger soaks up nearly 80 horsepower at maximum speed. Still, the engine manages to keep some of that extra power to itself, punching out 443 horsepower at 6400 rpm, enough to propel this 3840-pound convertible to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13 seconds flat. More important to everyday users is the 414 pound-feet of torque, of which 90 percent is available between 2200 and 6000 rpm.”

So trying to exceed the V’s performance by just hot-rodding the standard engine may be futile, and, even if successful, most likely short lived!!
Also, with the V engine comes a whole array of supporting pieces - transmission, brakes, suspension, etc!!

PS: The Genesis gets 375HP from it’s luxury car 4.6L engine! I’m surprised that the Northstar is still at 320HP after all these years!!

Floyd, I never did like the ACC, it left to much space between cars, even at the best adjustment, and people would be diving in and my brakes would be slamming on and everyone behind me thought there was an idiot behind my wheel. Well, they where half right. :pat:
I'll take plain old CC, thank you very much!
ACC is not included on the "V" because the intercooler takes up the necessary space.

_________

If your sunglasses aren't polarized you will see the HUD.

Floyd (BB)

adaptive cruise

I wish you could disable the adaptive cruise on the regular xlr. My wife really hates it. I am some what used to it but it can be annoying.

On the subject of buying the xlr. I am one of the early purchasers. During the first 5K it lived in the shop, engine, top, headlites, rearend, you name it. After we, Cadillac, my dealer and myself resolved those problems the car has really been reliable for the past 2 years. In fact in the past 16 months I have had it in once, for an oil change.

The car is over 5 years old now and still turns heads.

JIM

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back