Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Windshield replacement

Madmac

Seasoned Member
My windshield got hit by a rock on the weekend, and will need to go into an auto glass shop to be replaced. Anything to watch out for, or is replacing the windshield on the XLR just like any other vehicle?

and take your check book. I saw somewhere that it is $1700 just for the glass. But the looks when driving the car.... priceless.

and take your check book. I saw somewhere that it is $1700 just for the glass. But the looks when driving the car.... priceless.

Just one more plus living in the Sunshine State; insurance covers replacement 100%. There are always "glass people" checking all the windshields at every carwash.

Floyd (BB)

Just one more plus living in the Sunshine State; insurance covers replacement 100%. There are always "glass people" checking all the windshields at every carwash.

Floyd (BB)

I have been insured with State Farm for fifty two years, have a small deductible, but my glass coverage is 100% covered. Nothing out of pocket. With all the trucks hauling gravel on the mountain roads I lost four windshields in one year. Scary!

A bit off topic, but Homegameroom, I noticed your garage floor, what product is that and has it stood the test of time?

I used one of the epoxy-type coatings, and bought it at Home Depot (I forget what brand). My only mistake was the acid-etching of the floor. It didn't stick well to a couple of places that I know did not etch well. Otherwise, it's in good shape, but is only a couple years old.

I'm too lazy.................I had the multy flake in different brown tones done in 2003 and still looks like brand new. I have a double garage and a step up to a closet and they did it all including one foot up the sides for $1,500. Very happy I did it. I just bought an industrial bucket and mop and when I have some energy I blow the dust and dirt out with a leaf blower and then mop for 10 minutes.
I used one of the epoxy-type coatings, and bought it at Home Depot (I forget what brand). My only mistake was the acid-etching of the floor. It didn't stick well to a couple of places that I know did not etch well. Otherwise, it's in good shape, but is only a couple years old.

Windshield #2 replaced today. This is becoming an annual event.

Windshield #2 replaced today. This is becoming an annual event.
If you don't mind me asking how much did that cost. Cubby said we are going to have to replace our windshield to. Also where did you go to get it replaced? I believe we have three in ours right now. Driving Cubby crazy. :willy_nilly:

If you don't mind me asking how much did that cost. Cubby said we are going to have to replace our windshield to. Also where did you go to get it replaced? I believe we have three in ours right now. Driving Cubby crazy. :willy_nilly:

I just take mine to the dealer and they replace at their Collision Center and do a great job and no cost to me. As for poor Whit, tell Karen to take off her shoes before dancing on the windshield. She needs to restrict the dancing to just on the bartops.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Those darn stiletto heels........once you get her going..........

If you have comp on your insurance policy, and the chips are in your line of vision, the windshield should be covered (less any deductible). The only windshield available is thru GM, List price $1,696.95. Total cost to the insurance co today, $1,664.78
The Insurance co set up the installer, who is local, they came out to the house and replaced it.

Those darn stiletto heels........once you get her going..........

If you have comp on your insurance policy, and the chips are in your line of vision, the windshield should be covered (less any deductible). The only windshield available is thru GM, List price $1,696.95. Total cost to the insurance co today, $1,664.78
The Insurance co set up the installer, who is local, they came out to the house and replaced it.
Thanks Whit. That gives me the direction I need to start heading in. If I can keep Cubby out of Scarlette V long enough to get it done.:D

We have someone coming to look at the windshield tomorrow. Wish us luck. :wave:

I had mine replaced about two weeks ago. All I can say, don't watch them do it. When they brought what looked like a jackhammer (really it was just a thin bladed tool attached to a large cordless drill, used to loosen the windshield) I had to walk away. There are a lot of mouldings they needed to take off, but they managed to get them all back in place. The unfortunate part was that when I went to leave, the car would not recoginze the key fob. Tried charging the car battery, and wound up by chance putting the key fob in the glove box holder and the car started. Not sure what went on there. The glass shop tried calling the two local Cadillac dealers, but of course it was 5pm on a Friday and everyone was gone. Made it home and have not had a problem since. Does anyone know what happened here?
Thanks for the advice Madmac. They are suppose to come to the house sometime tomorrow. I won't watch. I'll keep everyone posted.

Windshield Replacement

I had mine replaced about two weeks ago. All I can say, don't watch them do it. When they brought what looked like a jackhammer (really it was just a thin bladed tool attached to a large cordless drill, used to loosen the windshield) I had to walk away. There are a lot of mouldings they needed to take off, but they managed to get them all back in place. The unfortunate part was that when I went to leave, the car would not recoginze the key fob. Tried charging the car battery, and wound up by chance putting the key fob in the glove box holder and the car started. Not sure what went on there. The glass shop tried calling the two local Cadillac dealers, but of course it was 5pm on a Friday and everyone was gone. Made it home and have not had a problem since. Does anyone know what happened here?

I watched them replace one on my 2003 DHS and it is like you said except I had Red Noland Collision Center do mine, they are the Cadillac Dealer so there was no problem, did an excellent job, no wind noise and no leaks and no trouble starting.

If they had the hood up and/or doors open, I'm sure that's what happened. With the courtesy lights on and the computer trying to search for fobs it probably drained the battery. I 'll let you know if I have the same problem tonite when I get home.

I think they killed the battery (car not the FOB) and the car needed to be, for the lack of a better word "re-trained".

If they had the hood up and/or doors open, I'm sure that's what happened. With the courtesy lights on and the computer trying to search for fobs it probably drained the battery. I 'll let you know if I have the same problem tonite when I get home.

Unless the doors or hood were continually opened and closed the lights would have been switched off by the car in, I think, 15 minutes.

Floyd (BB)

Thanks for the advice Madmac. They are suppose to come to the house sometime tomorrow. I won't watch. I'll keep everyone posted.

You haven't told us if they came out and replaced the windshield. Did they?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

You haven't told us if they came out and replaced the windshield. Did they?:dunno::dunno::dunno:
They came out. They fixed the windshield didn't replace it. :( Kevin seems to be happy with the fix. To be honest you can't see where it was. :willy_nilly:I will wait and see if Cubby is happy and see if he wants it replaced.

They came out. They fixed the windshield didn't replace it. :( Kevin seems to be happy with the fix. To be honest you can't see where it was. :willy_nilly:I will wait and see if Cubby is happy and see if he wants it replaced.

The new windshield repair technology is really very good... repairs can now be made on cracks up to 24" long. The trick is to have the repairs made as soon as possible after the chip appears, so that minimal dust, dirt, etc. gets into the chip. Windshield repairs, however, are not to be made in the driver's primary field on vision.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom