Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Winter storage questions

C

Comfortzone

I'm putting the XLR in climate controlled storage for the winter. I'll wax it and top off the fluids, but have a couple of questions.

Should I use a gas additive? If yes, which is best.

I don't think I will have an electrical outlet for a battery tender, so what are my other options for the battery being ready, come March?

Thanks in advance,
Casey

Always use a gas stabalizer :worship: when you store ANY gas driven vehicle or equipment including lawnmowers, snowblowers etc. You add it in the tank at final fill up and drive it home so it treats & protects the entire fuel delivery system.

As for the battery, figure out how to get a power cord and hook up a Battery Tender! Before we had those we would disconnect the battery on all of our classic cars and store it in a heated storage area. The only thing we had to reset was the analog clock! ;)

BUT as far as the XLR and its computers etc, if you leave the car without a battery tender you will have a dead battery in the spring (total draining is not good for the battery and may need to be replaced) and everything will have to be reset. If you disconnect the battery it will likely need a top up but I believe you will have to reset everything too!

CADILLAC TECH, we need your help here! Is there any difference to the cars systems when a battery goes dead over time VS being disconnected? How many things need to be reset and is that something that needs to be done by a dealership?

I prefer SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer/additive. Be very careful with Sta-bil and look for flakes in the bottle first. Do not use it if you see any flakes.

I have heard that some over inflate tires to prevent flat spotting. I am going to put mine up on blocks to get the tires off the floor.

If there is absolutely no way to put a battery tender on with the battery (extension cord?) then remove the battery and keep it on one in a warm spot.

Call XM radio and put a hold on your subscription, if you have one.

Cover with a good car cover and Think Spring.

I prefer SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer/additive. Be very careful with Sta-bil and look for flakes in the bottle first. Do not use it if you see any flakes.

I have heard that some over inflate tires to prevent flat spotting. I am going to put mine up on blocks to get the tires off the floor.

If there is absolutely no way to put a battery tender on with the battery (extension cord?) then remove the battery and keep it on one in a warm spot.

Call XM radio and put a hold on your subscription, if you have one.

Cover with a good car cover

Great info!!

Thanks!!
Casey

Thanks for all the info.

I found a different storage company that has electric available. It's getting detailed this weekend and then to bed it goes...

When searching car covers, the Cadillac version is $350 and covers on EBay run from $45 to $400, depending on the ply and materials. Any suggestion on these?

I also found a large price difference in battery tenders. Any suggestions on brand and type?

When searching car covers, the Cadillac version is $350 and covers on EBay run from $45 to $400, depending on the ply and materials. Any suggestion on these?

I also found a large price difference in battery tenders. Any suggestions on brand and type?

I've had good results with DelTran Battery Tenders. Quite a few sellers on eBay that sell them at good prices with free shipping. I recently bought another one at a price less than on sale at the local K-Mart and that included free shipping.

New MAINTAINER Battery Tender Jr Junior 12 Volt Car Charger New | eBay

This seller shipped quickly and has several models, though I believe that this unit would be sufficient for maintaining a well-charged battery.

I also have purchased several covers from these guys, including one for my XLR. Prices are reasonable and I was pleased with the quality for the price. They are having a Halloween sale right now.

Halloween Special

Best wishes for safe and secure storage!

I've had good results with DelTran Battery Tenders. Quite a few sellers on eBay that sell them at good prices with free shipping. I recently bought another one at a price less than on sale at the local K-Mart and that included free shipping.

New MAINTAINER Battery Tender Jr Junior 12 Volt Car Charger New | eBay

This seller shipped quickly and has several models, though I believe that this unit would be sufficient for maintaining a well-charged battery.

I also have purchased several covers from these guys, including one for my XLR. Prices are reasonable and I was pleased with the quality for the price. They are having a Halloween sale right now.

Halloween Special

Best wishes for safe and secure storage!

I have to disagree about Carscover.com. I am very disappointed with my experience.

I received my cover and found that it does not cover the bottom 6" of the car. After a week of multiple unreturned emails and phone calls I get told that I need a custom fit cover, which is more money, and that if my cover is not "resellable" I will be charged 20% restocking. Of course, I had to open the package to find out it would not fit. Multiple times I am told that the cover fits my car, just not like how I want. Who wants a cover that does not cover the entire car?

I will be shipping it back tomorrow, at my expense, and looking for a different vendor. An expensive lesson.

Did these work out OK for you?

They are both still in their boxes, in the trunk. I dropped the car off at my detail guys house and he still has it. He is doing a very detailed detail!! I have him darkening all the rubber around the windows, touching up the black grille, deep cleaning and detailing, touching up any rock chips, etc...

I should get it back this week and put it in storage..

I got it detailed, debadged, new battery, covered, tendered and put away for the Winter... It is supposed to start snowing on Monday...

I got it debaged and put away for the Winter... It is supposed to start snowing on Monday...

Dumb question, but what is "debaged," and why did you do it?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom