Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Wiper problem, UBEC-Underhood Buss Elec Cntr

I have a 2005 XLR, the wipers only work on HIGH. I was told by my local dealer it was a short in this main junction box and only way to fix is to replace whole box. The part 10378946 at full cost is 607.68 and 1.8 hrs to replace. I can get the part on-line a good bit cheaper but not sure how involved would be for me to install. Anyone tried to do this or have experience with this problem? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

I am quite sure that "CadillacTech" will chime in soon.

:cool:

Underhood Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement
<FORM onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/si/cellHandler.do><A href="#ss1-1264959">Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  2. Remove the lead nut to the positive battery cable from the junction block. Reposition the cable lead away from the junction block.
  3. Remove the junction block cover.
  4. Disengage the electrical cable retainers at the rear of the junction block.
  5. Turn the junction block upside down and open the lower cover.
  6. Loosen the bolts which retain the engine, I/P, and forward lamp wiring harness connectors to the junction block.
  7. Disconnect the engine wiring harness connector from the junction block.
  8. Disconnect the I/P wiring harness connector from the junction block.
  9. Remove the junction block.
Installation Procedure

1. Connect the I/P wiring harness connector to the junction block.
  2. Connect the engine wiring harness connector to the junction block.Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.
  3. Install the connector bolts to the underhood junction block.Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 7 N·m (62 lb in).
  4. Turn the electrical center right side up.
  5. Connect the electrical cable retainers at the rear of the junction block.
  6. Install the junction block cover.
  7. Install the positive battery cable lead to the junction block stud. Install the positive battery cable lead nut.Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).
  8. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
</FORM>

UBEC- What to do?

Thanks Bruce for these instructions, it doesn't sound that hard to change.
Here's the decision. The dealership has diagnosed this box as having a short in it, I asked if they were sure it wasn't one of the three (from what I see) relays instead of the box and they said it was not a bad relay. I don't know if they can or did test each relay not. Not sure if I should get the part myself and save $318 and trust their diagnostics and all is well, or if it turns out to be something else then I won't be able to return the part and still not be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom