Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR = C5 or C6 Corvette?

Remi

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Hi!

Me and the guys had this disscusion the other day about the XLR was built/based on C5 or C6 Corvette.
After a Wikipedia search we still couldn't deside which one was right, but I guess the question should have been asked here at the first place.:wave:
Any of you know the answer?

Remi

Neither. There are only few differences in the chassis between a C5, C6 and XLR. Some of the same components are used between a C6 and an XLR. Things like hubs, brakes, review mirror, etc. Considering that the XLR pre-dates the C6 by one year and the number of unique components I don't think one could say that the XLR was based on the C6.

In his detailed book describing the evolution of the XLR, John McCormick states the XLR was based on an evolution of the C5 architecture, which led to the C6 a year after the XLR made its debut. The C6 embodied steel hydro-formed perimeter frame rails, a rigid center tunnel, layered composite floors and an aluminum cockpit. The measurements were a little different to accommodate the Northstar engine, but the XLR's overall design, echoed in the C6 structure was called the "Performance Car Architecture."

Looking at comparison pictures of the C5, C6, and XLR chassis gives the impression that the XLR has a C5 and-a-half chassis. There were a few improvements embodied in the XLR that made their way into the C6, and they share a lot of the same innards, which is good for us as far as parts availability.

They are cousins of the same bloodline with distinct similarities and differences.

Vive la difference!

CC :wave:

L-R: C5, C6, and I saved the best for last . . . :) The differences appear less than the similarities.

2005-C5-Corvette-chassis.jpgCorvette_C6_Convertible_Chassis.jpgXLR Chassis.jpg

Last edited:
Additional question,,,

Since we are on this topic of whether a C5 or C6 discussion,,,,,I'm looking at a set of Corvette, jack lifting pads for the frame. Seller says their pads will only fit Vettes '97 through '05 - not C6 models. Is the XLR frame lifting locations based on a C5 or C6 frame?

Thanks for any substantiated answer to help me out

p z

Since we are on this topic of whether a C5 or C6 discussion,,,,,I'm looking at a set of Corvette, jack lifting pads for the frame. Seller says their pads will only fit Vettes '97 through '05 - not C6 models. Is the XLR frame lifting locations based on a C5 or C6 frame?

Thanks for any substantiated answer to help me out

p z

They should fit as jacking pucks are same for all C5 & C6 (1997-2013)

awesome

Thank you to those providing the answer I was looking for...

p z

Same lifting pads for XLR, C5 and C6. C6 Z06 and ZR1 pads are different.

Corvette Jack Lifting Pads, 1997-2015 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

The only problem I came across was that the jacking pucks I used on the C6 Corvettes I have owned (05,08,& 12) are not thick enough for the front of the XLR to place a flat lift without breaking the rocker panel, but as long as I'm careful with a floor jack they do help the clearance. I use the BMW pucks and leave them in at all times. I wonder if the ZO6/ZR1s would be any thicker.

I have BMW pucks, the rectangular ones, and I did leave them in all the time. But during this Summer's MO Rocket run, we had to go thru some road work a few times. One time,,, I bottomed out, heard this awful noise! Found out, when I got home, the puck must of been hit and torn out of it's socket. So now, I don't leave them in, and I'm one puck short!

Chad

I have BMW pucks, the rectangular ones, and I did leave them in all the time. But during this Summer's MO Rocket run, we had to go thru some road work a few times. One time,,, I bottomed out, heard this awful noise! Found out, when I got home, the puck must of been hit and torn out of it's socket. So now, I don't leave them in, and I'm one puck short!

Chad
I have the round ones and it they ever bottomed out the rockers would be toast.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom