Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR lifting

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
2006 Cadillac XLR | XLR (VIN Y) Service Manual | General Information | General Information | Introduction | Document ID: 923875 <HR>
<FORM name=CellHandlerForm onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" action=/si/cellHandler.do method=post>Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle
Caution: To help avoid personal injury, always use jack stands when you are working on or under any vehicle that is supported only by a jack.
Caution: To avoid any vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when major components are removed from the vehicle and the vehicle is supported by a hoist, support the vehicle with jack stands at the opposite end from which the components are being removed and strap the vehicle to the hoist.
Before you begin any lifting procedure, be sure the vehicle is on a clean, hard, level surface. Be sure all the lifting equipment meets weight standards and is in good working order. Be sure all the vehicle loads are equally distributed and secure. If you are only supporting the vehicle at the frame side rails, make sure the lifting equipment does not put too much stress on or weaken the frame side rails.
If you use any other lifting methods than those called out, take special care not to damage the fuel tanks, the exhaust system or the underbody.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=923875&pubCellSyskey=47852&pubObjSyskey=923875&from=sm&laborOpCode=&cellId=47852#oth1-197745">Vehicle Lifting and Jacking Locations

66088.gif

<MAP name=66088.map><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TH align=left></TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(1)</TD><TD align=left>Preferred Vehicle Jacking Locations</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(2)</TD><TD align=left>Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(3)</TD><TD align=left>Frame Contact Hoist Locations, Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(4)</TD><TD align=left>Suspension Contact Hoist Locations</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=923875&pubCellSyskey=47852&pubObjSyskey=923875&from=sm&laborOpCode=&cellId=47852#ss1-923875">Vehicle Lifting -- Suspension Contact Hoist

Front Lift

Position the suspension contact front lift under the outer edge of the front suspension lower control arms.
Rear Lift

Position the suspension contact rear lift under the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=923875&pubCellSyskey=47852&pubObjSyskey=923875&from=sm&laborOpCode=&cellId=47852#ss2-923875">Vehicle Jacking

When you are lifting a vehicle with a vehicle jack or a service jack, block the wheels at the opposite end from which you are lifting. use jack stands to provide additional support.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM></MAP>

There are several different styles on Ebay... rubber looking ones and aluminum ones. Ones with what looks like eye bolts to hold them in the slots and ones with OEM type holders. Prices from $15.95/set + shipping to $69.99 including shipping. There are even permanent pucks that snap in. Which do you prefer? Which are best? :confused: :confused:

Too bad the idiot that put my car in the air didn't read about where to put the pads, maybe then he wouldn't have punched holes in the undercarriage that went thru the floor boards. It only cost $1,800.00 to repair but of course the dealer paid the price.:pat::pat: First Robin

My pucks are made of polyeurathane and work great. They take a moment to install and fit right into the round head of my floor jack. Best of all, there's no scratching of the vehicle! A must-have and a great stocking stuffer!

CCC :wave:

low profile jack

I bought the pucks but, they are useless if you don`t have a really low profile floor jack. I made ramps to drive the front of the car up on, then I can get my floor jack under the car and lift. Does anyone know who makes a low profile floor jack that will get under our XLRs? Thanks.

I bought the pucks but, they are useless if you don`t have a really low profile floor jack. I made ramps to drive the front of the car up on, then I can get my floor jack under the car and lift. Does anyone know who makes a low profile floor jack that will get under our XLRs? Thanks.

Griot's Garage has a really nice ultra low profile floor jack that will go under an XLR. Part # 77739 and it's at www.griotsgarage.com

Kathy :wave:

There are several different styles on Ebay... rubber looking ones and aluminum ones. Ones with what looks like eye bolts to hold them in the slots and ones with OEM type holders. Prices from $15.95/set + shipping to $69.99 including shipping. There are even permanent pucks that snap in. Which do you prefer? Which are best? :confused: :confused:

I don't think there is a best -- Just pick up a couple of hockey pucks, a couple of eye bolts, screw them together and pocket the savings over paying someone to do the same thing and spend the cash on a low-profile floor jack. The Corvette crowd has been doing it for some time now.

I agree ... No need to spend lot$ of money. I use the hockey pucks & screw eyes along with an low profile aluminum jack from Harbor Freight (on sale under $80).

I don't think there is a best -- Just pick up a couple of hockey pucks, a couple of eye bolts, screw them together and pocket the savings over paying someone to do the same thing and spend the cash on a low-profile floor jack. The Corvette crowd has been doing it for some time now.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom