Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Tail Lights: Unobtanium!

Bert Bert Morgan

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black on Black
Greetings to you my fellows in good taste. Are there any repair techs, or service providers, who can fix a burned out led strip in an XLR Tail Light? I have spent days looking for one to no avail. The part is discontinued from GM and there are none in the used parts locators. We are all in the same boat here. Please share your knowledge and experience.
PS: I posted this in the general discussion because it affects every single one of us and needs to be addressed en-mass.
Guitarfixx

I have the tools and ability to repair these but would need some additional info and pictures of the rear of the unit before committing. PM me for details.

CC :wave:

XLR Tail Light

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
Hard to believe there is not one Tail Light in the USA for sale......
Somebody tell a guy something here!!!!

Greetings to you my fellows in good taste. Are there any repair techs, or service providers, who can fix a burned out led strip in an XLR Tail Light? I have spent days looking for one to no avail. The part is discontinued from GM and there are none in the used parts locators. We are all in the same boat here. Please share your knowledge and experience.
PS: I posted this in the general discussion because it affects every single one of us and needs to be addressed en-mass.
Guitarfixx

Drivers side tail light for sale in PARTS FOR SALE

Drivers side tail light for sale in PARTS FOR SALE

First, thank you for the update. It is appreciated.
The needed Tail Light is Passenger side.
I spoke to Cadillac Customer Service and was kindly advised that I was out of luck. There are none in the USA and no production information. We are the Red Headed Stepchild of GM.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat! It's terrible to have people always telling me my light is not working,etc..
Please if anyone gets a lead or info on passenger light..let us know! Thanks guys!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've brought this up before with others also . I purchased a beautiful black 05 XLR in Palm Springs , shipped it up to BC , Canada and could not pass federal / provincial inspections due to 1/2 the passenger tail light not working properly. We called GM canada , used auto wreckers that couldn't guarantee the condition or if the light even worked for $800 . Thought I had a new one ordered on Amazon marketplace new for $700 , said they had delivered it , it never showed up as soon as I asked about it they said it was lost/damaged and refunded our money back ( we lost about $80 in US back to Canadian funds) missed the inspection period while waiting and had to reinspect for another $140 after I was finally so desperate I happened to ask a friend of mine and he said his buddy might be able to fix it in his garage (electronic guy / electrician ? ) They heated it up carefully , pulled the red plastic off to get at the LEDs . the LEDs ended up being $0.60 each . While we were waiting to get this fixed we had a number of "feelers" out there trying to help us . We did end up buying a NEW passenger IMPORT light but the left strip of lights is in amber and its a 5 pin plug not a 4 pin like ours. He is working on changing the LEDs to red as I type this so hopefully I will have 2 that work. Here is some pics he sent me while working on the first one , the LEDs we used that were close to the same color / brightness , trying a few different LEDs for brightness then the finished product. The riskiest thing is getting the red plastic off without damaging it , the rest was fairly easy he said.

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,545
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,236
This issue about the supply of tail light and headlights not being available is of real concern. A light rear end bump could easly rite off any XLR or a simple stone to the headlight could render these cars useless.
My car is in New Zealand so the problem is even worse, its the only one in the Southern Hemisphere so no chance of finding a donar car to rob parts from.
i think they call them Glass Slipper cars ?
We will end up with museum peices that are risky to use and may end up worthless, They could be worth big bucks to people want very cool 1 to 1 scale model of the great XLR , but they wil be few.
unless we can find a soloution or get the ear of GM who could keep the ledgend aive and produce a run of parts that will last for us all , but god luck with that unless any one has good connections at GM.
my thought is to insure it well and be prepaired for a very sad day when i have to say good by to the most interesting and coolest car I have ever owned.
i hope i never see that day but looks like it could be a reality.

It a wonder you can even get insurance on a car that as you said has no parts to repair them with. In the states car get totaled every week with just a fender headlight or bumper needed. For the time being Insurance companies are paying way more than they are actually worth for the total. As recycle yards find out they are not selling their high price parts that figure will come down. only a handful l of parts sell well on the XLR. I looked for an engine about 3 to 4 years ago and they wanted over 4 grand for ones with 70.90,000 miles. Now there are a couple for for sale with around 30,000 miles for 500$ as they just take up space and will never sell for a lot of money. Some guy on here paid 4000$ to have head gaskets done when he could have swapped out a 30,000 mile 08 upgraded motor for less than 1/2 that.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom