Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Tool?

durkin

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Silver XLR
In the XLR users manual (2008) on page 2-58, step 9, under the heading of "Manually Raising the Retractable Hardtop", it says, "Remove the upright center storage compartment. Use the wrench to remove the four screws holding the storage area in place." The drawing shows a hand turning what looks like a philips head screwdriver.

Is there a Cadillac supplied tool somewhere in the XLR for this purpose? It sounds that way, but I have not found one.

I'm told there used to be a tool that came with the car. I've heard some say they found it in the glove box while others said they found theirs in the storage compartment in the trunk. However, I did not get one in my 2009 XLR-V and have not been able to locate one. I was also told that the wrench shows as discontinued in the parts database.

Consequently, I assume that means that there is no special wrench needed and that common wrenches can do the trick. This is something that I have been procrastinating about figuring out and learning how to do. I need to get the straight facts and figure it all out before I'm stranded in the rain along side the highway trying to figure out how get the top to close.

From the pic it looks like what I have always called the GM star screwdriver. I bought one several years ago to remove a headlight cover on my Olds 98. I just used it Friday to adjust the tension on my XLR mesh wind screen. You should be able to get one from an auto store or a GM dealer.

For clarity let me add, my tool is not shaped like a wrench but is the business end of a screwdriver. It should have a different part number than the wrench.

XLR tool

Can Homegameroom or anyone else that has one of these tools post a picture of what it looks like? If it's not available anywhere maybe I can make a replica from a picture. Also, if that doesn't work out can someone verify that it is actually a T15 torx on one end and an 8 mm hex wrench on the other.

It is no longer available and is in fact a : T15 torx on one end and an 8 mm hex wrench on the other.

Can Homegameroom or anyone else that has one of these tools post a picture of what it looks like? If it's not available anywhere maybe I can make a replica from a picture. Also, if that doesn't work out can someone verify that it is actually a T15 torx on one end and an 8 mm hex wrench on the other.

XLR wrench

I have the little l shaped wrench if anyone wants one. I was thinking 20$ shipped?
Hi mickeytee,
I would love to buy the wrench you have. Could you please send a message to me (v-zoom) with details. I'm away on vacation until Tuesday 4/25 but I will get back to you when I return.
Thanks

Hi mickeytee,
I would love to buy the wrench you have. Could you please send a message to me (v-zoom) with details. I'm away on vacation until Tuesday 4/25 but I will get back to you when I return.
Thanks

if you email me at 507BMW@gmail.com I will get your address and send it to you when you get back. You can send me a check or cash when you get it. I am easy Haha

heres a photo for those looking

DSCN5248.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry