Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

xlr v rim wanted

Hilding

My XLR/V(s)
I would like to have a spare tire in my garage for my 2007 xlr v. Preferably a 19" silver rim, but an 18" rim will do if it is compatible ( does anyone know if the 18" rim will work? ).
This is my first time using this forum. I purchased the car in early August not knowing that it did not have run flat tires ( I did not do my homework well enough ).

I would like to have a spare tire in my garage for my 2007 xlr v. Preferably a 19" silver rim, but an 18" rim will do if it is compatible ( does anyone know if the 18" rim will work? ).
This is my first time using this forum. I purchased the car in early August not knowing that it did not have run flat tires ( I did not do my homework well enough ).

If you're just after a spare wheel, maybe get an XLR rim. Skip the cost and headache of trying to get a V wheel. I'm not so sure mating an 18" wheel to a 19" at the other side of the axle is a great idea though. I think there are several 19" cadillac models rims with the same bolt pattern that should suffice for a spare.

C6 Corvette wheels are a direct fit. There is a larger variety of those to choose from. Not sure how you would stow it.
Do a search on this forum and some of the Corvette forums like Corvette News, Blog, Forum, Tech, Events - Corvette Action Center

Many of us have gone away from run flats to get a better higher performance ride. I stow a tire inflator kit with a plug kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're just after a spare wheel, maybe get an XLR rim. Skip the cost and headache of trying to get a V wheel. I'm not so sure mating an 18" wheel to a 19" at the other side of the axle is a great idea though. I think there are several 19" cadillac models rims with the same bolt pattern that should suffice for a spare.

I don't know about 18" and 19" compatibility either. The local Cadillac dealer either did not know of or did not want to look up other cadillac possibilities. I did ask them if there were other rims that would work and they said they did not know. Thank you for the reply.

C6 Corvette wheels are a direct fit. There is a larger variety of those to choose from. Not sure how you would stow it.
Do a search on this forum and some of the Corvette forums like Corvette News, Blog, Forum, Tech, Events - Corvette Action Center

Many of us have gone away from run flats to get a better higher performance ride. I stow a tire inflator kit with a plug kit.

Thank you for the Corvette suggestion. I plan on storing the wheel in my garage for my wife or son to bring to me in case of a flat tire. I will get an inflator and plug kit, but I will still pursue a spare set up. A puncture on the side wall probably would not take a repair. I am going to get AAA also.

Does anyone know of a positive fit with the proper clearance for the brakes and wheel well? From the forum I see that my spare will have to have the same size tire as my rear tire for some reason.

As mentioned, there are lots of discussion here on use of Corvette wheels. The chassis is a Corvette C6 chassis, so wheels for a C6 Corvette are a direct fit. Do a search on wheel offset or Corvette wheels. Pasted below is one such discussion.

Stock XLR-V wheels are 19X8.5 compared to XLR at 18X8 both with a 61mm offset. I very much prefer a non-staggered fit that allows for tire rotation and something that keeps things inside the fender. I also prefer chrome, which eliminates some makers.

Here is a offset calculator with Corvette wheel sizes. Put in your starting wheel size from above and the size wheel you are considering and the calculator will show how much the wheel lips move. Don't forget to take the tire size into consideration. A 255 tire is about 1.5" wider than a 8.5 wheel, of course split evenly inside and out. Using these few tools you can determine how far out the new wheel/tire combination will end up and if there will be a problem with inner clearance. Don't cut things too close on the inside as there is sidewall flex and suspension travel to consider.

Corvette Wheel Offset Calculator • Corvette Central

Just for grins before you get started reach over your rear tire and stick your finger between the tire and the fender liner to get a feeling just how close things are.

wheel

The tire needs to be the same height as the rear if you plan on running it on the back. The front would not be that big a deal if you are just wanting to get it home or drive while a tire is shipped. I would get a 17or18 with a 225/60 or 225/55 tire off of a Camaro or a late model GTO .They are the same 5x120.6 Bolt pattern Just match up the height with what ever size rear you have and you will be fine. I have a pair of 17" GTO rims I bought just for that reason. They clear the base modle rear rotors fine and I believe the v is only 1/2 inch bigger

The tire needs to be the same height as the rear if you plan on running it on the back. The front would not be that big a deal if you are just wanting to get it home or drive while a tire is shipped. I would get a 17or18 with a 225/60 or 225/55 tire off of a Camaro or a late model GTO .They are the same 5x120.6 Bolt pattern Just match up the height with what ever size rear you have and you will be fine. I have a pair of 17" GTO rims I bought just for that reason. They clear the base modle rear rotors fine and I believe the v is only 1/2 inch bigger

Not sure the Camaro has the same hub and offset. I believe the Camaro has a 67.1mm hub while the XLR has a 70.1mm hub. Offset is only a 38mm for the Comaro vs a 61mm for the XLR. You probably shouldn’t deviate more than 10mm on the offset. Buying a Camaro wheel would be a waste of time and money. You would be very disappointed if you went to rescue your wife only to find your wheel didn’t fit.

Here is a good site to give you some of this information.
Cadillac XLR 2004 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure the Camaro has the same hub and offset. I believe the Camaro has a 67.1mm hub while the XLR has a 70.1mm hub. Offset is only a 38mm for the Comaro vs a 61mm for the XLR. You probably shouldn’t deviate more than 10mm on the offset. Buying a Camaro wheel would be a waste of time and money. You would be very disappointed if you went to rescue your wife only to find your wheel didn’t fit.

Cadillac XLR 2004 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

I have gotten some informative replies and sites to go to. I do not know much about offsets and hubs or how to use the charts suggested. I am not really lazy, but I am in my mid 70's and not very hub, wheel, offset or tire size savvy and wouldn't understand those things even if they were explained to me. I realize now that all I want to know is what combination of tire size and rim has worked on a XLR-V. Somebody out there must have a tire and rim besides a Cadillac XLR-V for a spare. A new rim at the dealer is listed for $719 and I do not want to spend anywhere near that.
I do appreciate the responses I have received and just want a definitive answer on what works on a 2007 XLR-V.

camaro wheel

I was only going by the ones I bought off a 2016 Camaro. They fit fine and looked great. Maybe they where off a vette and on the Camaro. Hub centric was dead on.

tire size

what size tires are on the car now. I will find you something close by you that will work. V rims are pretty hard to find

tire size

according to the tire charts I checked the stock 18 wheel with a 235/50/18 would match up well with the rear 255/40/19 you should be able to buy one of those with a good tire for 150$ they are both close to 27.1 inches tall .

according to the tire charts I checked the stock 18 wheel with a 235/50/18 would match up well with the rear 255/40/19 you should be able to buy one of those with a good tire for 150$ they are both close to 27.1 inches tall .

Thank you. This is the kind of information I need. Originally I thought I needed a 19" XLR-V set up, but the respondents on this site let me know that there are other solutions. I think an 18" C6 Corvette rim with the 235/50/18 tire that you suggest should work.

I am thanking all you XLRers for the effort you gave a new uninformed member.

Thank you. This is the kind of information I need. Originally I thought I needed a 19" XLR-V set up, but the respondents on this site let me know that there are other solutions. I think an 18" C6 Corvette rim with the 235/50/18 tire that you suggest should work.

I am thanking all you XLRers for the effort you gave a new uninformed member.

I have never tried this and you would have a 50mph speed restriction, but are there any space saver spares that would do what you need? Easier to store and transport. It will need to fit over the brake calipers. You might be able to pack one in the trunk if you were going a bit further? Maybe for the rear only (smaller brakes?) if a front blew you would have to do more swapping around?

I have never tried this and you would have a 50mph speed restriction, but are there any space saver spares that would do what you need? Easier to store and transport. It will need to fit over the brake calipers. You might be able to pack one in the trunk if you were going a bit further? Maybe for the rear only (smaller brakes?) if a front blew you would have to do more swapping around?

I originally looked for a space saver spare, but couldn't find any one that knew of one that would fit. The Cadillac dealer said they did not make one for the XLR.

When you are logged in, at the upper right of the screen there is a " Notifications" with a down arrow. Click on that and you will see you have a private message.

I did not receive any words with your message, just something about a private e-mail.

I originally looked for a space saver spare, but couldn't find any one that knew of one that would fit. The Cadillac dealer said they did not make one for the XLR.

True, the XLR did not have one, but a wrecker's yard might be able to advise of one that will fit anyway. Depends what you want.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom