Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! XLR-V with Top Problem

XLR-V Lover

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR-V
I'd like your take on this:

Today I took my car to the dealer as the top would not raise. Tech updated the last of the three updates that had been issued (I didn't have the most recent).
Okay, now after the update the tech attempted to do a "learn" procedure. Well, he couldn't find the program on two different TechIIs. After quite awhile he found
the "learn" listed under the 2005 info. Then he wasn't able to do the 'learn" because the part of the roof that latches to the windshield wasn't in the correct
position, that also took him quite awhile to diagnose. He wound up taking out that storage thing between the seats so he could get that latch in the correct position.
I was billed for two hours, now I realize the latch isn't usually a necessary thing to have to do. But do you think I'm correct in mentioning this to possibly the service
manager? How much time do you feel should have been charged? Unfortunately, the tech that has worked on all my XLRs has left and now works for Toyota!
The whole procedure took about three hours.

So, that's my tale of woe.

I recently had my "Convertible Top Module" replaced (again....), it took the Tech less than an hour to replace the module and "re-learn" the module. Coincendently my Tech is contemplating leaving GM and going to Toyota, he said he can make 20% - 30% more there. I guess everything these days is a question of economics.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This is why you always want a "Certified XLR Tech" working on your car. A Learn procedure (very easy to find on a Tech 2's menu if you know what you're doing) takes five minutes or less. Basically the top completes one cycle and the Folding Top Control Module learns the high and low parameters of the sensors. The the top is cycled again to ensure the procedure works. That's all of two minutes. A complete XLR diagnostic takes about three or four minutes in comparison.

You're being way overbilled on labor --the dealership is essentially having you pay for the training for their tech to work on your car.

Have the Service Manager look up the standard labor charge for a Learn procedure and start from there. It should be significantly less than what you were charged.

CC :wave:

Thanks, CC! I felt pretty much as you do. I'll see how far it gets me. Maybe a couple oil changes, at least!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom