Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR Versus XLR-V Versus C6 Corvette Curb Weights

Tinker

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Zenon Blue XLR
Hi,
Not finding any answers after looking in many places.
The C6 Z06 Corvette weighs less than 3,200Lbs with an aluminum chassis, yet the standard C6's weight remains a mystery.
Wikipedia indicates an XLR's weight as 3,840Lbs, and a post on this website confirmed this for an XLR-V.
What is the weight for a regular XLR or a C6? Has anybody checked theirs on a certified scale?
XLR's supposedly have a 50/50 weight balance. Is this true? How does the XLR-V compare?

The info on the XLR and XLR-V can be found under the Tech Center tab at the top of the page. I would also think a Corvette forum would have the info you're looking for as well.

Hi,
Not finding any answers after looking in many places.
The C6 Z06 Corvette weighs less than 3,200Lbs with an aluminum chassis, yet the standard C6's weight remains a mystery.
Wikipedia indicates an XLR's weight as 3,840Lbs, and a post on this website confirmed this for an XLR-V.
What is the weight for a regular XLR or a C6? Has anybody checked theirs on a certified scale?
XLR's supposedly have a 50/50 weight balance. Is this true? How does the XLR-V compare?

from the Corvette forum,,,,,

C6 Corvette Coupe w/Z51 package > Curb weight: 3224 lb

C6 Corvette Coupe Base > Curb weight: 3208 lb

C6 Corvette Convert Base > Curb weight: 3221 lb

C6 Corvette Z06 > Curb weight: 3175 lb

C6 Corvette ZR1 > Curb weight: 3333 lb

Thanks Guys!

It appears as if the aluminum chassis didn't really save that much weight, yet our XLR's are still 400Lbs heavier. Does anyone have a clue as to why? Surely it can't be the articulated top.

It appears as if the aluminum chassis didn't really save that much weight, yet our XLR's are still 400Lbs heavier. Does anyone have a clue as to why? Surely it can't be the articulated top.

I would imagine more sound deadening material and heavier seats for one thing

I agree, lots of little things make the XLR weigh more -- seats, the body is actually a thicker composite than for Vettes (think it's 3 mil vs. 5 mil), metal & wood trim instead of just plastic, Northstar engine may weigh more, maybe stock wheels weigh more, engine cover adds a little bit, etc. All the kinds of things GM focuses on now to cut every gram of weight it can.

You are trying to compare too many things at once. The C6 steel frame versus the aluminum frame is 110 pound difference, yet the Z06 curb weight is only 46 pounds lighter than the base C6. The difference between the base XLR and the V is 157 pounds. Most of that is probably the supercharger, bigger brakes and wheels.

As others state, there are a lot more different components in the XLR, compared to the C6 Corvette, so the 400 plus pound difference is hard to pin on one or two items. I would say, yes the roof would be a big factor, engine, seats and composite body material. The roof is probably quite a bit, as I believe there is a magnesium frame under all the composite material of the roof. There are also many more 'standard options' on the XLR compared to the Corvette, so those components add weight also.

Look in the trunk,,,,,,the Trunk Monkey might be there?

I'd have to agree with Cubby.... many extra features in the XLR over the Vette.

Plus, just looking at the amount of hydraulic components in the fold-down roof system, that has to add lots of weight to the XLR.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom