Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Chevy Volt

S

speedway

I listen to GM Lund on MSNBC yesterday talking about the new chevy Volt (sp) and he said city driving will be 230 miles per gallon.:) He went on to say there will be no need to plug this in for a recharge because it will recharge as you drive if you are unable to do the plug in. It has a 40 mile range on the battery itself. which is will within the normal range to get back and forth to work. They do not have an official highway mileage yet so he would not state what it is but stated it will be in the three number range. They ask him why the cost ($40,000) was so high and he explained that with the Government rebate you would only be paying around $32,000. Just one more reason why GM should have been bailed out.:blinzel:

GM "get err done";)

Fred:patriot:

This is a very exciting car, for us and for GM. I never really saw myself driving a hybrid or electric, but for the last month I've been driving a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle for GM and I have to say it has changed my mind. Our next car may not have a big thumping V-8 in it.
Bruce
PS: This should probably move to off topic.

This is a very exciting car, for us and for GM. I never really saw myself driving a hybrid or electric, but for the last month I've been driving a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle for GM and I have to say it has changed my mind. Our next car may not have a big thumping V-8 in it.
Bruce
PS: This should probably move to off topic.
Here is my concern with them trying to find alternatives. I want the power. I like the V8 or if you can give something even faster I am happy. I want the luxury. I like big. So far nothing that I have seen has been appealing to me. JMHO.

I started a thread about what car I am looking at getting next. Tell me what you think guys.
:patriot:

Here is my concern with them trying to find alternatives. I want the power. I like the V8 or if you can give something even faster I am happy. I want the luxury. I like big. So far nothing that I have seen has been appealing to me. JMHO.

I started a thread about what car I am looking at getting next. Tell me what you think guys.
:patriot:

I would say that quite a few of us on this forum like high performance lux. However, there our many people out there that want the economy car and if you look at what GM has done its extremely impressive in fact I fine it to be uncomprehensiveable. If you break this down just for city driving (because they do not have an official MPG for highway) it has the results of (based on a 18 gallon gas tank) 4140 miles to a tank of gas. Now if you have a car and family trying to make ends meet an 18 MPG with an 18 gal gas tank relates to 324 miles to a tank of gas. So I dont know of any other car company that has anything that can match this at this time. Just think of the fuel savings alone would more than pay for the car in 6 years. The most mindboggling thing is there just getting started with this technology just think 5 or 10 years what we will have.:willy_nilly:

GM "get err done"

Fred, you're right.... they're perfect .... for someone else! :chuckle

Nahh, just kiddin'. I agree with you on the technology, I just can't figure out why all of the "green" cars are so freaking UGLY. Why can't they design something that at least looks good? :confused: I think the future is going to produce some really fast little buggers - but it will be a lonnnnnnnng time before any car guy will accept an electric whine over the sound of an 8-cyl vibrating.

Fred, you're right.... they're perfect .... for someone else! :chuckle

Nahh, just kiddin'. I agree with you on the technology, I just can't figure out why all of the "green" cars are so freaking UGLY. Why can't they design something that at least looks good? :confused: I think the future is going to produce some really fast little buggers - but it will be a lonnnnnnnng time before any car guy will accept an electric whine over the sound of an 8-cyl vibrating.
Its not for me either. I love high performance muscle cars always have. Its just that GM came up with a car that can get this kind of mileage will all you can say is WOW.:rocker: It wasnt but a few months ago that many people felt like GM should be shut down will I say there are a bunch of people with egg on there face. :lol:

It appears to be a great car and I hope they sell a bunch of them. It's not something I have to have right now, but I hope people like them. I think there are a lot of places where these would work great.

There already is a nice looking performance car--if you have the $$$$

It's right here: http://www.teslamotors.com/

The MM's actually saw one in person at Road America in WI a few weeks ago. Very stylish in my opinion.

The MM's actually saw one in person at Road America in WI a few weeks ago. Very stylish in my opinion.
Pretty kool car. I expect the police will have these and they will be right next to you not making a sound tell they flip on lights and siren.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fred

This car was featured on one of our t.v. networks a few months back.
It's little, little ..... cockpit size.
It looks good, like a "I wonder what that thing is" kind of good ... but there's nothing classy looking about it IMO. Didn't make we say "wow!"
I don't think my generation is going to be jumping on the electric bandwagon anytime soon .... we like the smell of gasoline and the roar of the engines that it produces. :rocker:

Haha, I can just imagine what the boardroom looked like when they came up with the name Volt ..... someone thought it was a wonderful play on words from the vocabulary of the electrical dictionary. And someone else was poking another guy in the ribs saying, "yeah, more like a REvolt .... or reVolting .... hahahaha..... :lol:

Sorry .... I'm just not a fan. :blinzel:

I'm not a fan. It is going to be interesting how they plan on accomodating a big family. My sister has three toddlers and she drives around and Expedition in order to accomodate three car seats. :cool:

I'm not a fan. It is going to be interesting how they plan on accomodating a big family. My sister has three toddlers and she drives around and Expedition in order to accomodate three car seats. :cool:

Supa, you bring up a good point... Americans are big people who like big cars and who like to haul a lot of crap around with them. You are correct, child seats will not fit in most small cars.

I do think that these small cars will work for people in large cities.

These cars will become quite popular with some folks very quickly when gas goes back up to $4.50 or $5.00 a gallon. My Corvette C5 gets 20 in the city and 32 on the highway fully loaded with luggage. While you havent had a chance to meet Ingrid I can attest her ability to take quite a bit of luggage.:D:D:D

Fred

I like big thumping V-8's as much as the next person, I am truly surprised how much Tracy and I enjoy out Fuel Cell Equinox. No, it won't replace my Corvette or my XLR, or any of my cars, but it is a great errand car, saving wear & tear on my other cars. The Fuel cell has great performance, and smooth & seamless, very nice around town, and does um, freeway speeds plus with no effort.
I have been on Project Driveway for almost two years carrying the "car nut" flag, telling them if they want me in a hybrid they have to build something I want to drive. They have, yeah, I like my fuel cell a lot, my next car may be a hybrid. The Equinox has plenty of room for most occasions also. I'm excited about the Volt. Don't sell your XLR, but look at supplementing the fleet.
Bruce
excuse me, I need to go hug that tree over there :pat:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry