Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Antique and Collectable Tires

X

XLR KEN

This is to all those out there that may be a serious collector or restorer. I recently had the pleasure to tour a local facility that produces and sells tires to the antique and collector market.

Coker Tires (www.cokertire.com) is the world leader in the production and delivery of antique and collector tires. Corky Coker, owner, was kind enough to give me and some of my co-workers a tour of his facility here in Chattanooga, Tennessee. On the tour, we also had the pleasure of viewing his vast collection of cars and motorcycles and the Honest Charley Speed Shop (www.honestcharley.com) next to his tire headquarters.

I encourage you to go to his website and take a tour. The history is interesting, along with his Blog and Virtual Tour section. On his Blog, see if you can pick me out of a photo taken of our group during our tour.

An interesting historical point is that VW is not the first to buld cars in Chattanooga. Corky owns a 1911 Nyberg produced in Chattanooga. Also, VW will not be the last to produce cars here. He has also been commissioned to build 40 race cars to be used in a film to be made of the first Indy 500 of 1911. I was lucky enough to get a ride in one while there.

Be sure to let me know if you come through Chattanooga and I'd be glad to help get you to Coker Tire. You'll love what you see. :blinzel:

XLR KEN

We had purchased several sets of Coker tires for our older Cadillacs. Many other classic car owners purchase Coker tires in order to get the wide white walls.

Bruce,

Chattanooga may have to be our Spring Drive 2010 trip before Colorado Springs!!

Ken, thanks for the info. It looks like a fun place to visit.

Ya'll Come On Down!!!

Bruce,

Chattanooga may have to be our Spring Drive 2010 trip before Colorado Springs!!

To All,

I would be honored to be the host of such an event. I can tell you that Corky Coker would go out of his way to make everyone welcome in his museum. We're located between Jack Daniels Distillery and the Smokey Mountains. Chattanooga is definitely a destination.

XLR KEN :D

Jack Daniel filets at TGIF Fridays

Ken, Sounds like we can get a few bottles or cases of JD and head for the Big Smokys and get blitzed and maybe we can get to see Smokie the bear or his ghost. I think he passed on.
Love those mountains:patriot:

To All,

I would be honored to be the host of such an event. I can tell you that Corky Coker would go out of his way to make everyone welcome in his museum. We're located between Jack Daniels Distillery and the Smokey Mountains. Chattanooga is definitely a destination.

Unless it has changed recently; The Jack Daniels Distillery is in a dry county. I'm sure Ken can confirm this, but I was there years ago and it was dry. That is a great area for driving some twistys though.:wave::patriot:

Ken, Sounds like we can get a few bottles or cases of JD and head for the Big Smokys and get blitzed and maybe we can get to see Smokie the bear or his ghost. I think he passed on.
Love those mountains:patriot:

Corn in a Bottle

Unless it has changed recently; The Jack Daniels Distillery is in a dry county. I'm sure Ken can confirm this, but I was there years ago and it was dry. That is a great area for driving some twistys though.:wave::patriot:

You got it right Cubby. Moore County (Lynchburg) is a dry county. Tennessee has a law that you have to have over a certain amount of residence to have a referendum vote for liquor by the drink. They don't have enough to vote. According to the ol' folks there, they're makin' babies as fast as they can to increase the population. You can buy JD by the bottle at the distillery (collector decanters), but ya can't buy it by the shot or bottle anywhere in the county. They give away lemonade and coffee to tourist and sell good sour mash by the bottle to take home. The story goes that the employees get a pint with each paycheck and attendance is always 100% on payday............:rocker:....and yes, it is my drink of choice in the Harris house.

Sounds like a road trip! I went to the Maker's Mark distillery before RIV - what a great tour of a truly hand-made Kentucky Bourbon! We may need to add a day to our trip!

... and there was some great driving around the Loretto, KY area where Maker's mark was located as well! I just got back from a trip to Cumberland, MD with my neighbor. I sure wish I took the XLR - there were some GREAT roads out there!!!!!! Unfortunately, Anna Marie tends to get car sick, so I drove my SUV. :-( she HATES it when we go places in Misty!

Visit Photo

Below is a photo of the VW group visit to Coker Tire.

Corky Coker, owner, is on the far right. Anyone wish to guess which one is me? HINT: I'm the one that doesn't look German.

Please note in the background the wall of antique motorcycles he has in his collection.

The blue '64 VW belongs to Corky's wife. It's one of many beautifly restored cars in his collection, pulled out especially for our photo op.

XLR KEN

:lol::lol: Looks like Corky is about to be rolled over by a vintage Vette!! :lol::lol::lol:

Floyd (BB)

Virtual Tour Links

Just in case some of you didn't navigate through to the car collection tours, I've pasted them below:

Tour #1
http://www.cokertire.com/virtual-to...ion_1&friendly-name=Coker Collection 1&res=hi

Tour #2
http://www.cokertire.com/virtual-to...ion_2&friendly-name=Coker Collection 2&res=hi

Tour #3
http://www.cokertire.com/virtual-to...ion_3&friendly-name=Coker Collection 3&res=hi

It's hard to believe, but he has many more than shown. Also, as shown in the thumbnail photo I posted above, there is a large wall of antique motorcycles too.

The ten years I went back and forth from Colorado to Florida I would go through Chatanoga. After wintering in Florida I always looked forward to driving some good twisty, hilly roads. I went to Grand Junction Friday and back today, made a circle trip and of course our mountains will blow your minds compared to Tenn. 600 miles round trip, drove my new DTS and was amazed at my MPG, going over I averaged 29.2 and about the same coming home. My 2006 sure didn't come close to that, more like 23 so I am happy with the 2009, now have 900 miles on it.

Fall in the Smokies

Now that it's in the mid-90's in Chattanooga, it's time to start dreaming of a Fall drive in the Smokies.

As discussed earlier in this thread, I would like to have down a bunch of XLR's to visit the area this Fall. As a matter of reference, the trees in this area are at their peak around mid-October.

Not only do we have the mountain roads, but I'm still serious about arranging a tour of the car collection of my friend Corky Coker.

Chattanooga can be the desitnation, but the coming or going could easily go through the Smokie Mtn National Park, and of course the Tail of the Dragon.

Let me know who and when and I'll take a couple of days off to play with my XLR friends.

XLR KEN:blinzel:

Now that it's in the mid-90's in Chattanooga, it's time to start dreaming of a Fall drive in the Smokies.

As discussed earlier in this thread, I would like to have down a bunch of XLR's to visit the area this Fall. As a matter of reference, the trees in this area are at their peak around mid-October.

Not only do we have the mountain roads, but I'm still serious about arranging a tour of the car collection of my friend Corky Coker.

Chattanooga can be the desitnation, but the coming or going could easily go through the Smokie Mtn National Park, and of course the Tail of the Dragon.

Let me know who and when and I'll take a couple of days off to play with my XLR friends.

XLR KEN:blinzel:

That sounds great, Ken. I'm game! Depending on the dates. Maybe the weekend of 10/9 (Columbus Day Weekend)? Just the suggestion.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom