Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Exhaust Bypass Switch

JT112673

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Silver XLR-V (SOLD FEB 2012)
I've seen a couple of exhaust bypass switches on the market that would allow me to manually open the butterfly valves on my inner pipes (just cause it sounds cool.)

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram that would allow me to "cut" a wire and add my own switch?

Just doesn't seem like I should have to pay $90 plus shipping when I can spend $4 on wire and a switch.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
JT

Standby did this to his V, he may be able to tell you how to do it. I would PM or email him and he'll get back to you. If you don't hear from him, repost and I'll look for my instructions from my Mild 2 Wild I installed.

I've seen a couple of exhaust bypass switches on the market that would allow me to manually open the butterfly valves on my inner pipes (just cause it sounds cool.)

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram that would allow me to "cut" a wire and add my own switch?

Just doesn't seem like I should have to pay $90 plus shipping when I can spend $4 on wire and a switch.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
JT

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CDAVE%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.klink {mso-style-name:klink;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Instructions for installing MTW Switch. Intercept the white/red wire with a switch.

1. Keep the car turned off
2. Open the trunk.
3. Lift the carpet on the left front (towards outside)
4. Unplug a big white plug
5. Find white/red wire attached to the white plug.
6. Cut the white/red wire in the middle
7. Attach RED wire from Wild 2 Mild unit to the white/red wire still attached
to the white plug.
8. Attach WHITE wire from Wild 2 Mild unit to the white/red wire which was
cut. Not attached to the white plug.
9. To the right of the opening find a black screw that holds the plastic for the trunk together. Attach ground blue wire. You are done.
10. Program Remotes. You must program ON to one button on the visor.
Then program OFF to another button.

Its worth noting that the instructions between the corvette and the xlr are different... one is done at the fuse box inside the car, and the latter is done in the trunk at the module. just an FYI

I've been continuing to research the situation and realize all work needs to be done in the driver's side trunk panel... What I'm hoping to get is a wiring diagram or picture of what wire gets bypassed with a toggle switch to disengage the vacuum pump that closed the butterfly valves.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I've been continuing to research the situation and realize all work needs to be done in the driver's side trunk panel... What I'm hoping to get is a wiring diagram or picture of what wire gets bypassed with a toggle switch to disengage the vacuum pump that closed the butterfly valves.ffice:eek:ffice" /><o>:p></o>:p>

Uh, harrower just gave you all the instructions... if you just open up the panel you'll see how obvious it is.

That's what I was looking for... you guys are awesome. I'll let you know how it works out and I just saved $90.

Actually you don't save that much--the XLR-V unit is only $65. :chuckle

That's what I was looking for... you guys are awesome. I'll let you know how it works out and I just saved $90.

All Done... $3.99

Okay... as promised, here's my follow-up... I spent $3.99 on a basic toggle switch and installed my exhaust by-pass switch. After trying to determine the best place for the switch I discovered there is enough clearance behind the black hinge cover plate inside the center console. The switch is easy to reach, even though it's basically sitting next to my love handle when the console cover is opened... and the sound is awesome. Maybe because I'm a Harley guy too, but there's something to be said about the rumble of a good exhaust system and all this for $3.99.:rocker:

Wild 2 Mild

Does this switch let the cars automatic function work when the Wild 2 Mild switch is turned off.

Does this switch let the cars automatic function work when the Wild 2 Mild switch is turned off.

Depends where you connect your switch. But why?

If you follow the directions, it has no effect if you have the switch off. It's like it was never installed.

Why would he care? Very simple, if he has it off and at some point you nail it it will perform as usual.

Floyd (BB)

Everything works completely stock when the switch is off... The only reason why I installed it is because sometimes I like to hear the roar and rumble when chugging around town... and it makes the guy in the Z06 wonder what I've got in there... :rocker:

Everything works completely stock when the switch is off... The only reason why I installed it is because sometimes I like to hear the roar and rumble when chugging around town... and it makes the guy in the Z06 wonder what I've got in there... :rocker:

Don't tamper with that Z06, just let him wonder.

Floyd (BB)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back