Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

WTB: XLR-V Factory exhaust

HOMEGAMEROOM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"
So, my tiny little brain is whirring around in circles as usual, trying to find optional (read: CHEAP) ways of accomplishing things. One of the "things" involves the exhaust on my (base) XLR.

NOT an option: Buy a Corsa exhaust, which equals big $$$$ (for me, anyway, with this crappy economy).

POSSIBLE OPTION: Buy a (used) XLR-V exhaust (from someone on the Forum who has replaced their factory exhaust) and install it on my base XLR. Add a "Mild2Wild" switch and VOILA (or maybe NOT voila - I'm not sure if the pipes would fit).

1) Does anyone have a factory XLR-V exhaust system that they want to sell? I'd only need the mufflers at the end of the car, not the whole system.

2) Does anyone know if the mufflers would actually be interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and answers!!! :patriot:

So, my tiny little brain is whirring around in circles as usual, trying to find optional (read: CHEAP) ways of accomplishing things. One of the "things" involves the exhaust on my (base) XLR.

NOT an option: Buy a Corsa exhaust, which equals big $$$$ (for me, anyway, with this crappy economy).

POSSIBLE OPTION: Buy a (used) XLR-V exhaust (from someone on the Forum who has replaced their factory exhaust) and install it on my base XLR. Add a "Mild2Wild" switch and VOILA (or maybe NOT voila - I'm not sure if the pipes would fit).

1) Does anyone have a factory XLR-V exhaust system that they want to sell? I'd only need the mufflers at the end of the car, not the whole system.

What a great idea, Rich. I've been struggling with the same thing. Wonder if a VETTE exhaust would also work on my BASE '05 XLR. I'm sure there are people on this forum that have upgraded their exhaust (what ever happens to the pieces that are removed?).
I'll be watching for any answers as well. I'm gonna check on eBay as well.

Good luck in your quest.:cool:

Good luck on eBay - I've been lurking there for a while looking for a deal on a Corsa or factory V exhaust!

My next-door-neighbor at work is Corsa. They used my 05 STS as a template for their exhaust. I was SUPPOSED to get a deal on a Corsa exhaust, of my choice, in the future as 'payment'. I'm still waiting, even though I see the owner of Corsa on a REGULAR BASIS when I go out to lunch! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The 'vette exhaust won't work on the XLR... the XLR needs a longer tip and it needs a little extra length near the axle hump.

I'm considering upgrading my XLR-V exhaust... if I do, I'll post my stock system for sale.

Not sure that is an option Rich. Besides the different mufflers you also have wiring to operate the baffles in the left rear of trunk area. I don't think you will have that on your base model.

When you come to Vegas with us and win big you'll be able to get the Corsa system. :laugh::laugh: It really is worth the money, IMHO!! I'm thinking of updating the V in the spring--I hate the drone with the Mild 2 Wild.:(

Not sure that is an option Rich. Besides the different mufflers you also have wiring to operate the baffles in the left rear of trunk area. I don't think you will have that on your base model.

When you come to Vegas with us and win big you'll be able to get the Corsa system. :laugh::laugh: It really is worth the money, IMHO!! I'm thinking of updating the V in the spring--I hate the drone with the Mild 2 Wild.:(
I have Corsa on my XLR and love them. At night there two times louder and rumble.:lol:

Fred;)

:(

Rich,,,, You wouldn't also have the vacum system in the 04 base to operate the baffles!

Chad

There are many vette owners upgrading their base vettes with the vaccum to get the dual-mode exhaust to work - this seems to be pretty trivial to get working (although may take some time to route the hose).

I think you can do it by getting either the stock OE parts, or using an aftermarket kit.

I think you are missing the point; he is looking for a less expensive alternative to the Corsas. Researhing to find out what exactly you need, accumulating the needed parts and changing it out sounds more expensive to me--my time is not free.

There are many vette owners upgrading their base vettes with the vaccum to get the dual-mode exhaust to work - this seems to be pretty trivial to get working (although may take some time to route the hose).

I think you can do it by getting either the stock OE parts, or using an aftermarket kit.

I think you are missing the point; he is looking for a less expensive alternative to the Corsas. Researhing to find out what exactly you need, accumulating the needed parts and changing it out sounds more expensive to me--my time is not free.

Oh, I'm sorry - perhaps I didn't understand what cheap meant:

$160 for the retro kit (and it includes what is essentially the mild2wild kit):

http://www.shop.sunsetorangecreations.com/product.sc?productId=9

Then whatever the cost of the salvage exhaust is...

That sounds pretty cheap (and easy) to me.

I think that doing it for less than that, you wouldn't want it (ie, the glass packs).

Richard Yoo has it right (I hope). The only thing I'd need is the mild2wild and a vacuum source (easy to accomplish from the engine). The cost would be "salvage" mufflers and maybe $200 in parts. I think the baffles are in the mufflers themselves, so I just need to route a vacuum and the control. I would have a little time in it, but that would be fun time for me!

New mufflers are indeed expensive - the cost for a V muffler is double the cost of a base one.

The only thing I'd need is the mild2wild and a vacuum source (easy to accomplish from the engine).

I think that the remote comes with the kit - you wouldn't need to be the mild2wild.

As for the vacuum, I'm sure there are plenty of places to get it.

Mild to wild exhaust

I have picked up a complete mild to wild system from manifolds to tips. Has anybody actually tried this muffler swap. David Wallace 2006 XLR

I have picked up a complete mild to wild system from manifolds to tips. Has anybody actually tried this muffler swap. David Wallace 2006 XLR

It depends upon what you received for the exhaust system. i did find a slightly used "V" exhaust online. I olny replaced parts from the muffler back - it took me no time at all! I bought the MTW from Sunset Orange Creations. That took me a little longer to install.

With the stock "v" mufflers, you may not be happy with the highway drone. Though, the m2w does allow for a decent sound around town.

I have heard the corsa exhaust on the CTSV (very nice) but not sure how they would sound on a smaller displacement engine

I did install a 06 corvette h pipe and axle back system on my base xlr when I first got it..I was in the same position sounds like some of you are in. I purchased the vette system along with the subframe plate for 50.00. It worked perfectly, mounts were EXACTLY the same bends were the same. The ONLY thing that's different is the length from the end of muffler to the end of the exhaust tip about two inches short. If your gonna change the tips then it's no problem otherwise the hot exhaust is exiting in front of the bumper which possibly could deform or melt the bumper. The sounds is a little throaty but I thought if iwas gonna permanently put the system on that I wanted a little more. I put hooker exhaust "mufflers" on with all my stock tubing. Actually I cut up the vette tubes which are exactly the same, fitted the mufflers with new tips had everything ceramic coated and viola. My system looks better than factory,ceramic coated for performance and looks,and guaranteed to make you wanna hear the engine sing. To each his own but all together with the new muffs,ceramic coated,and new tips I spent maybe 275. My time" I love cars,performance,making stuff better,and knowing I did it myself and it's exactly how I want it" who cares! If I wasnt wasting time on that I'd b cleaning her or waxing her. I have absolutely no drone and I think and others have confirmed it sounds bad ass. Not loud at idle throaty throughout but not loud and just sweet when half to full throttle. Hookers had the lowest db reading compared to Corsa,magnaflow,dynomax,and flow master. I was in the same boat I wasn't gonna pay for some overpriced exhaust just because they pretty much have the market cornered. It looks nice they sound nice but man their way too expensive and only for the caddys I know someone who put a Corsa system on their cummins diesel and only cost them 700. Funny thing is they actually got more material and it was cheaper. Who they screwin. Good luck

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom