Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR debut @ Detroit Auto Show 2003

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
Here's a few pictures from The 2003 Detroit Auto Show when the XLR made it's debut. It was exciting seeing the car for the first time.

First drive

Dave Hill, VLE of the XLR, invited us to drive one of the engineering cars. Here's a few pictures;

Last edited:
Yes, we did. I was going through some of our older photos and came across these.
It was the day that started our involvement with the XLR and that lead us to all of you good people. So, who knows, if we hadn't made the trip to Detroit; we might not have so many great friends today.:wave:

Well, one answer leads to another .... were you at the auto show because you were in training to be an XLR tech ... or did that follow after you saw the car?

That is so cool - I remember seeing the concept car at a car show here in San Diego YEARS ago ... but, I never saw an XLR up close and personal until we bought Lola ...

Hey - wouldn't a thread for how we came to buy the car be cool?

Well, one answer leads to another .... were you at the auto show because you were in training to be an XLR tech ... or did that follow after you saw the car?

That is so cool - I remember seeing the concept car at a car show here in San Diego YEARS ago ... but, I never saw an XLR up close and personal until we bought Lola ...

Hey - wouldn't a thread for how we came to buy the car be cool?

We were there to see the car. Dave Hill had invited us up to see and drive the XLR. At that time the press had not yet driven the car, so it was a real honor to be one of the first outside of GM to drive an XLR. It was a fun day.:rocker:
After we returned home I volunteered to take care of the XLRs @ Lockhart Cadillac. I was in the first training class @ the Chicago (actually Downers Grove, IL) Training Center in June of '03. Our first XLR (Neiman Marcus #54) showed up on Sept.16th '03.

Bruce .... what did you think about the car? Did you, at that time, think that it drove anything like a Corvette? Did you ever think that this car would give a Corvette any sales competition?

So .... you're first baby in the nursery was a Nieman, ..... what was wrong with it????

Bruce .... what did you think about the car? Did you, at that time, think that it drove anything like a Corvette? Did you ever think that this car would give a Corvette any sales competition?

So .... you're first baby in the nursery was a Nieman, ..... what was wrong with it????

We both LOVED it from the first drive! I thought it felt more solid, great ride. I was hoping the XLR would be more competition for MB than Corvette. The Neiman Marcus was our first delivery of an XLR. Here are some pictures;

Those pictures really tell a story .... well, all the guys standing around at a sort of respectful distance really tell the story! I love that picture of the transport .... were all future deliveries done with that big ol' great Cadillac logo cab? Incredible ... it looks like the whole dealership came out to greet that baby. I wonder who has it now.

Hey ... why haven't we ever talked about this before .... dang! This is great information ... like history ... really it is you know .... automobile history ... I don't think there will EVER be another car like this ... and weren't we fortunate to have this happen in our generation?

Those pictures really tell a story .... well, all the guys standing around at a sort of respectful distance really tell the story! I love that picture of the transport .... were all future deliveries done with that big ol' great Cadillac logo cab? Incredible ... it looks like the whole dealership came out to greet that baby. I wonder who has it now.

Hey ... why haven't we ever talked about this before .... dang! This is great information ... like history ... really it is you know .... automobile history ... I don't think there will EVER be another car like this ... and weren't we fortunate to have this happen in our generation?

I think it was a special moment; seeing that transport pull onto the lot and watching that beautiful car slowly drive down the ramps... Once it was off the truck I was allowed to drive it into the shop. Everyone came out to see it. It was hard to get it in my stall for all of the people. There was a plant representative that was with the car and he stayed that afternoon and walked me through the pre-delivery & road test. The truck had been full of NM XLRs & this was the next to last one to be delivered (the other one was headed down to Southern IN). All new XLRs were delivered in the same enclosed transport, (but without the plant rep.) We usually had the same driver. I would always try & photograph the car on the transport & before the pre-delivery inspection and then give the pictures to the new owner. Carolyn still has her baby & still loves driving it. She stopped by and saw me in May.

More pictures of the Neiman Marcus XLR

Here are some pictures of the XLR & of Carolyn taking delivery a few days later.

Here's a picture of Carolyn, Ed & her baby from the '09 Fall Drive;

Falldrive09777.jpg

Here are some pictures of the XLR & of Carolyn taking delivery a few days later.

I am laughing .... you did the same thing all new owner's do .... first thing .... TOP DOWN! :lol:

She was one lucky lady .... still is ... so, I guess all of the Neiman's had the same bugs to work out as the rest of the '04's .... I know that there is a Neiman garage queen here in Santee somewhere - but I have never seen one...... have I? Was there any at any of our R Events???

Maybe she will join up at the Corvette Reunion .... how cool would that be?

You've got some great pictures .... pictures of everything ... Thanks for looking back through the years ... how fun. Wish I could see them all.

I am laughing .... you did the same thing all new owner's do .... first thing .... TOP DOWN! :lol:

She was one lucky lady .... still is ... so, I guess all of the Neiman's had the same bugs to work out as the rest of the '04's .... I know that there is a Neiman garage queen here in Santee somewhere - but I have never seen one...... have I? Was there any at any of our R Events???

Maybe she will join up at the Corvette Reunion .... how cool would that be?

You've got some great pictures .... pictures of everything ... Thanks for looking back through the years ... how fun. Wish I could see them all.

She has had very few problems with her XLR, but she doesn't have many miles on it (health issues). I hope she can join us this year. Carolyn, Ed and her XLR have always been been special to us.
There wasn't a NM XLR @ RII or RIII.
I'm glad you liked the pictures, Kathy has always taken a lot of pictures.

Bruce, thanks for the photos and relating your experience during the introduction of the XLR. For those of us that purchased our XLR's pre owned we missed out on that experience. In fact, I still thought Cadillac was only making FWD cars in 2005 until I heard about the introduction of the CTS-V. Went to a dealer to look at one and there was an XLR. It's things like this that make this forum unique.

Bruce, thanks for the photos and relating your experience during the introduction of the XLR. For those of us that purchased our XLR's pre owned we missed out on that experience. In fact, I still though Cadillac was only making FWD cars in 2005 until I heard about the introduction of the CTS-V. Went to a dealer to look at one and there was an XLR. It's things like this that make this forum unique.

Steven, I'm glad you have enjoyed the photos & the reminiscing. Kathy & I both had a feeling that the car was going to be special after Dave Hill told us about his latest project with Cadillac in the summer of '02.

A little more boring background history; Dave had worked for Cadillac for 26 yrs. before taking the Chief engineer position on the Corvette team in '92 (he held that position until he retired in January'06). He had just been named VLE of the rear drive performance cars and was really excited to be working on the XLR project. Dave felt the XLR would be (and is) a perfect blend of Corvette handling & performance, Cadillac ride & comfort, in a beautiful open air package. I think Dave & his team did a great job! Whenever we would see Dave he would give us updates on how the XLR project was progressing. They really put a lot of time & energy into getting the ride characteristics where they wanted them.

So, when we got the chance to see & drive an XLR in Detroit, we jumped @ it. That was when we started working on our plan to make the car special @ the dealership & to it's new owners. I would always try & meet the new owners, help them when they came in to order one & walk them through the car @ delivery. Document the cars arrival with pictures, wash them & I kept them covered until delivery day. I always enjoyed prepping the cars for delivery & was honored to be part of such a great car. There were many times when Kathy would drive down to see (photograph) a new XLR that had been delivered to us that day or meet the new owners that were taking delivery of their car. We got to meet a lot of nice people through the XLR. As far as I know, there wasn't another dealership that did what we did...it was fun!

More pictures of the N M XLR on delivery day

I found a few more pictures this morning. These pictures were taken later in the day when Kathy came down to see the XLR for the first time. The protective wrap has been removed from the outside of the car & is now ready for it's first drive.

New car showing Oct. '03

Here are some pictures from Lockhart Cadillac's new car show in Oct. '03. Kathy & I were asked to do the presentation on the XLR that night. We had 2 XLRs on hand; a sold Black Raven (it was the 2nd XLR we had received) & a Xenon Blue that was sent down by Cadillac for the show. I think everyone that night thought Kathy was a sales person @ Lockhart.

Attachments

• XLR new car show 2003 #1.jpg
    XLR new car show 2003 #1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 417

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics