Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The New WC - AKA Wives Club

Mtrocket gave the comedy club a try for you and cubby.

Rocket .... you paint cars? Have you ever repainted an XLR? Lola's been whipped by sand a couple of times and we are thinking that she could use a refresh .... what's your thought??

I'm guessing that the clearcoat is pitted? Maybe take it to a body shop there and ask if just a color sand and buff would do the job. This is where the clearcoat is sanded with 1200-1500 grit sandpaper; the 1200-1500 grit scratches are then buffed out. This will only work if the clearcoat isn't pitted or chipped through to the color beneath. Otherwise to have it painted, you could maybe just have the front of the hood and fenders and bumper cover repainted. This would mean taking off the bumper cover, then taking everything off the bumper cover, sanding the pits out of the hood, fenders, and bumper cover. Then priming, color coating and clearcoating. More often than not, body shops have to color sand and buff the finish to remove minor imperfections, i.e. dust, etc that may get in the finish. You're probably looking at a cost upwards of $2000.
It all depends on how much it bothers you. The first road trip with mine, we got sprayed with gravel by a car in front of us. I turned it in to my insurance (comprehensive coverage covers this). Their estimate was $1522, for chips in the hood and bumper cover. The chips in mine bother me a lot; they are about the size of a pencil eraser.
Hope this helps you decide...

Thanks for that good information .... I guess after we go to San Antonio we will bite the bullet. Lola is going to put on a bunch of miles starting in November ... :party

ANY flaw in the paint bothers the Detail Guy ... the windshield bothers me more.

Thanks for that good information .... I guess after we go to San Antonio we will bite the bullet. Lola is going to put on a bunch of miles starting in November ... :party

ANY flaw in the paint bothers the Detail Guy ... the windshield bothers me more.

Ask around and find a shop that uses high-end refinish materials...I use all SIKKENS products here and find their products to be one of the best. Chances are if a shop uses high-end products such as SIKKENS, they do good work.

Chatty Cathy

Hey Ruthie, betcha haven't noticed we are Pit Crew members again. You beat me to 100 but that's no surprise..................Right?
My daughter had a Chatty Cathy Doll when she was little, guess they are back in style. LOL:laugh::wave: First Robin:patriot::worship:

Is there any products out there for tiny pits in windshields without distortion

Maybe check with a glass shop, but there's nothing that I'm aware of... short of a new windshield. If you have comprehensive coverage, this may be covered. I know in the past, I've had my pitted windshield replaced by insurance $$, that way, all you are out is your deductible.

Interesting .... how did you get your insurance to cover it ... under "comprehensive" something has to damage your windshield, not just normal wear and tear ..... ?

I haven't checked into it .... but I bet these windshields are big bucks.

Interesting .... how did you get your insurance to cover it ... under "comprehensive" something has to damage your windshield, not just normal wear and tear ..... ?

I haven't checked into it .... but I bet these windshields are big bucks.

They are $1500+ installed... normal wear and tear is not covered, but at the time I had mine covered, I had been following a sanding truck that wasn't tarped. Wasn't able to see the name of the company on the truck, so, my insurance had to cover the windshield. Wasn't on the XLR though... it was on the wife's dd... an '01 Chrysler Sebring.
They might have balked had it been on the X.

That's pretty interesting ....
Have you done that on any of your restorations??
I wonder if it leave swirls or whorls ...

Hey Cub, I don't think I would like to try this on my own. I would be afraid of distortion spots if you rubbed to hard in one place. I'd let a pro do it, because he would have to get it right or replace it.

Bob,

I haven't used this, but similar stuff for my lexan, acrylic Harley windshields with great results. If you go to the link, pick the first item and then read the reviews. I don't think you would mess it up. As the reviews state you need to be patient and follow the directions. I don't have a need for it otherwise I would try it and let you know. Of course it you don't have buffers and such, you may sheck with a glass company and see if they offer this service. Possibly some of the restoration shops in your area as well.

Really loving our new home. Check out the new forums that has been added.

Hey, I think I found everyone!

Ok, this hide and seek stuff is for the birds. I leave town for a few days and everyone takes there toys and leaves. Glad I found you all. Ruth Ann do your hands hurt from being slapped so hard?

Tiffany's Dad

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back