Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Top Operation - Trunk don't close to finiah full cycle!

05 GRAND DADDY

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR
:dunno: Has anyone experienced this and if so do you have an answer to fix it?
Here's my problem! :( While top is folded and stowed fully into the trunk, and still holding down on the interior top operation button it don't finish the full cycle by closing the trunk. Although if I leave up on the interior top operation button then push it down again after a few seconds then the trunk will finish the full closing cycle. I believe this has happen while putting top up also from time to time last summer season also!
:confused: Question is will a relearn of the top fix this. I should also mention that the car was on level area and not on a hill or tilt!!
Any comment are well appreciated!
Thank You Dan! :cool:

Re learn

I had same problem with my 04 XLR. Top would stop working half way through the cycle. Then you have to get out the owner’s manual and finish the cycle by hand. I took it to my Caddy dealer and they fixed it in 20 minutes. They told me the computer that runs the system must receive a signal that each step is completed before the next step is started. They use a computer re-program to it, so you need them. My dealer is Crest Cadillac in Venice FL if that helps. I have owned to XLR’s and 5 corvettes I currently have a 09 XLR and on 06 Z-06. I recommend that you always buy car form a dealer who sells a lot of that model, as they usually have one or two employees that work primarily on these vehicles.

Mine did that a couple times. My top would go into the trunk. Then when top was stowed then a pause before trunk would go down. But recently haven't had that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be one of the sensors out of alignment/or going bad or need a re-learn on the top cycle.

Here's my problem! :( While top is folded and stowed fully into the trunk, and still holding down on the interior top operation button it don't finish the full cycle by closing the trunk. Although if I leave up on the interior top operation button then push it down again after a few seconds then the trunk will finish the full closing cycle. I believe this has happen while putting top up also from time to time last summer season also!
:confused: Question is will a relearn of the top fix this. I should also mention that the car was on level area and not on a hill or tilt!!

Thanks!
Going in next Friday to reprogram the new FOB and a top relearn!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Could be one of the sensors out of alignment/or going bad or need a re-learn on the top cycle.[/QUOTE

My top has just started to have the same symptoms, where are the sensors located?

I had that problem earlier. But recently it hasn't been happening. I guess it fixed itself. I think one day I just kept the down button pressed. I really don't know what I did. Maybe after I took it in to dealer they fixed it. But maybe after cycling the top several times. That might help. :dunno:

My trunk won't open by itself with any of the buttons, but it will open when I put the top down :dunno: I don't get the audible tone in car when the top completes it cycle, seems that the sensors are not working. Just wondering were there located.

There are three sensors. The Rear Tonneau sensor is located on the drivers side scissors rear deck lid lifting mechanism. The Front Tonneau sensor is located behind the seats on the front/trunk wall. And the Folding Top sensor is located behind the driver's head inside the sail panel under the vinyl cover. Chances are, a sensor is either going bad or has changed in value enough to not match the values stored in the Folding Top Control module. A re-learn at the dealer looks at the sensor values over the course of a complete cycle, and stores them in the FTC module's memory. Sometimes a re-learn fixes the problem, otherwise you may need a sensor(s) replaced.

CCC

There are three sensors. The Rear Tonneau sensor is located on the drivers side scissors rear deck lid lifting mechanism. The Front Tonneau sensor is located behind the seats on the front/trunk wall. And the Folding Top sensor is located behind the driver's head inside the sail panel under the vinyl cover. Chances are, a sensor is either going bad or has changed in value enough to not match the values stored in the Folding Top Control module. A re-learn at the dealer looks at the sensor values over the course of a complete cycle, and stores them in the FTC module's memory. Sometimes a re-learn fixes the problem, otherwise you may need a sensor(s) replaced.

CCC

Thanks, thats the info I wanted.

Remember, along with the analog sensors there are switches too. I would focus on the confirmation of the last thing in the cycle of the roof. When going up it would be latched confirmation.

Will the windows go up with a second press of the top switch after the roof is completely up? Maybe the dinger is broken?

If the trunk is closing after the roof cycle then I don't think there is a roof problem and would look more into the trunk open command. Does it work with the fob? li
cense plate switch? dash push button?

HTH

What if,,,,,

My trunk won't open by itself with any of the buttons, but it will open when I put the top down :dunno:

Just what I didn't want to read.........trunk won't open by itself > OMG

Leaving next week on a three week trip in the XLR,,,,with a trunk full of luggage (ya know u got to take 'all of your stuff with you').

What if.....the trunk won't open by itself and you can't put the top down due to a full trunk of stuff?

If this unforeseen, and un-likely situation should occur, what would a person do to get their luggage out of the trunk?

Just use the key as per the owners manual and you'll be fine.

CC :wave:

Just use the key as per the owners manual and you'll be fine.

CC :wave:

Thanks CC

Since buying in March, I've only driven the car 150 miles and haven't got into reading the manual much....me bad. The 'other half' drives the car most of the time, but my seat time is coming next week. I've got some serious reading to do now.... Thanks again!

AC

Thanks, thats the info I wanted.

I had the repair center relearn mine about 2 months ago and it works perfect sometimes than other times it won't close the trunk I need to leave up on the button and push it again then if finishes the trunk closing cycle.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Remember, along with the analog sensors there are switches too. I would focus on the confirmation of the last thing in the cycle of the roof. When going up it would be latched confirmation.

Will the windows go up with a second press of the top switch after the roof is completely up? Maybe the dinger is broken?

If the trunk is closing after the roof cycle then I don't think there is a roof problem and would look more into the trunk open command. Does it work with the fob? li
cense plate switch? dash push button?

HTH

Yes the windows will go up with the second press of the switch. The key fob, inside trunk switch, license plate area switch and the dashboard switch all stopped working to open the trunk, I can hear the trunk latch unlocking when pressing any of these buttons but thats it.

I had the repair center relearn mine about 2 months ago and it works perfect sometimes than other times it won't close the trunk I need to leave up on the button and push it again then if finishes the trunk closing cycle.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Thats what I need to do to mine to finish the cycle, leave up on the button a few times. When it completely opens or closes the hydraulic pump continues to run until I release the button, whatever sensor that tells the top that the cycle is complete is not working.

So got another ? while we're on the trunk closing cycle, is it ok to, and will it finish the top cycle by press the dash closing trunk button? And if it would not finish the cycle can I just close it slowly by hand?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
There have been several posts about closing the trunk by hand. This is not a good idea at all. You are forcing the hydraulic fluid back through the pump , which it isn't designed for. There is a reason that the instructions for manually raising or lowering the trunk is FIRST to open the bypass valve. This bypasses the pump and equalizes the pressure on both sides of the system. Since the fluid doesn't want to flow backwards through the pump, it will probably result in blown seals on your hydraulic cylinders or at the very least leaky seals.

There have been several posts about closing the trunk by hand. This is not a good idea at all. You are forcing the hydraulic fluid back through the pump , which it isn't designed for. There is a reason that the instructions for manually raising or lowering the trunk is FIRST to open the bypass valve. This bypasses the pump and equalizes the pressure on both sides of the system. Since the fluid doesn't want to flow backwards through the pump, it will probably result in blown seals on your hydraulic cylinders or at the very least leaky seals.

I agree closing the trunk by overriding the hydraulics is not a good idea. I expect there will be those who do not understand hydraulics posting "I did it and nothing bad happened". That is like saying "I pointed my gun at my head and nothing bad happened". or "I raced a train to the crossing and nothing bad happened"

IMHO, I don't believe the hydraulic fluid is backdriving the pump. Most hydraulic systems have a safety relief valve that opens when system pressure, for whatever reason, exceeds the high safe limit. I would expect this valve to be parallel to the manual bypass valve and dumps back to the hydraulic reservoir. This would be normal design of a hydraulic system. I've searched for a hydraulic schematic for our systems and can not find one and the hydraulic power/valve unit is usually serviced by a complete exchange.

All components have a maximum safe pressure that they are designed for and can safely operate at without failing. The relief valve should protect the components in the event of excessive pressure. So where is the problem you ask? The relief valve is usually not intended or designed to be in constant use. It is intended to be the fail safe. Repeated use can change it's setpoint and/or effectiveness.

The other issue is even thou the components are rated at a pressure above the relief point, they are being subjected to a substantially higher pressure than normal operation. If a component is marginal it may last years with no issues at normal pressures. How long it will last at excessive pressure is a crap shoot. The manual bypass was put there for a reason, use it.

The choice is yours for what you do with your own car. My comments are about the advice given to others. Believe who you want.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom