Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

1st Year Anniversary of Ownership of my Red Baron

Army Al

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V InfraRed/Shale 18.5K mi 11/28/14
One year ago today, my XLR V brought new life back into this 66 year old body. Yes, another Junior Senior Citizen that took the leap. In this case, a leap of faith that the XLR would not spend much time at the stealership. I only drove 1,543 miles over those 12 months. Mainly to enter car shows. My favorite, Caffeine & Exotics in Atlanta, of course. Click on below. In fact, Phil105 would agree, he's a participant as well, but he's not in this picture. I'm the dirty old man to the right next to the best color V, even though it's 3 years older than the other one.

Official Caffeine & Exotics June 21st 2015 Recap | Caffeine And Octane
attachment.php

Below is what was done over those 12 months of ownership.

1) So blinded on the day of purchase, I didn't notice one of the wheels had a little curb side rash. Minor believe me.

2) Found Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance was 46% less than USAA (member for 45 years)

3) Added the following for now:
Wind Restrictor, Cadillac Towel seat covers, Personalize license frame (2006 XLR V , An Old Man's Cadillac)

4) Add ons in the future:
New Tires after 24K miles, 20in. Chrome rims, & Yellow Calipers

5) Averaged 16.3 mpg & NO SPEEDING TICKETS. Avg 110mph on the Thunder Road Runs

6) Haven't had a need to visit the stealership for any maintenance repair issues. Still have my fingers crossed when hitting the starter button.

7) Time to take it for a ride on its Anniversary with the top down. 65 degrees in Atlanta today, Adios.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone and HAPPIER MOTORING in your XLRs !!!

Last edited:
Can you hear your applause in the background?

We started our XLR journey October 3, 2015. Not as fortunate as you as far as repairs go, but hopefully we're done for a while. Engine runs great, all electronics are working as they should. Don't have to worry about the shift linkage going out (replaced the cable this week). Split radiator second week of ownership (warranty covered). Still happy we got it.

Every couple of years I send out Emails to 3 or 4 car insurance companies for quotes.

I also saved about 46 % going to Liberty Mutual. I have 4 cars and saved about $ 1800 a year. It was such a savings I was a little suspicious.

Your post makes me feel better.

I've been with USAA for thirty-plus years, and know they aren't the cheapest, but have never had anything but top-notch service, whether it's in relation to my auto or home insurance. Their MasterCard has consistently been rated #1.

For me, some things are worth paying extra for. --Like . . . Cadillacs!

CC :wave:

I've been with USAA for thirty-plus years, and know they aren't the cheapest, but have never had anything but top-notch service, whether it's in relation to my auto or home insurance. Their MasterCard has consistently been rated #1.

For me, some things are worth paying extra for. --Like . . . Cadillacs!

USAA has my homes and three other cars. They just couldn't come close on the XLR V. Since I only average 150 miles a month, why not deposit the difference in price in my XLR maintenance fund :)

Army Al
I love it when some one posts there GOOD experience with there XLR 's. Glad to here your happiness with this great car. Congrats on your anniversary. I've owned my V since 09 and and have been pretty much trouble free. (One stat replacement and a battery) I'm sure in time I will have problems due to the age but I'm confident I will be well prepared because of the Forum.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS To you as well
V HAPPY

Congratulations! It's amazing how fast a year goes by, right? :thumbsup

Insurance,,,,

Last Friday, I switched the XLR coverage from State Farm (who I've been with for 53 years) over to National Corvette Museum [ NCM ] insurance. They insure many Corvettes, Classics, Collectables, and XLR's if it is not a daily driver.

I only saved $100+ annually, but felt better about the AGREED TO Value on our XLR if it became a 'total loss' from a accident. Sure, a few hoops to jump through, but 6K mile per year limit for 'pleasure driving' is what I needed. You must have another daily driver to qualify, but that wasn't a problem for us. Still have 2 other vehicles, house, and life insurance with State Farm..........and another car insured with Barrett-Jackson.

I was with USAA for 20+ years but even with clean driving records they were KILLING me on the rates, especially the XLR's & particularly the V. I periodically shopped around for a couple of years for something else. Found out "collector car insurance" means "not user car insurance," even if the use is less than 2500 miles a year (Hagerty sent me a rejection letter without me even sending an application when I told them in my quote request I drive my XLR every weekend - thanks guys! :mad:).

Gave NCM a shot but they aren't licensed in my state. Considered Liberty Mutual but I wasn't sure about funding their advertising budget. Finally went with The Hartford for all our vehicles in balancing service with rates, & USAA flat out told me they aren't competitive in my area. I still have USAA for everything else & they provided fantastic service on the extended warranty I have through them on the base XLR.

I did read that when you stay with one insurer for a really long time, they assume you're complacent & start inching up rates over time. I think that's what happened to me.

Last Friday, I switched the XLR coverage from State Farm (who I've been with for 53 years) over to National Corvette Museum [ NCM ] insurance. They insure many Corvettes, Classics, Collectables, and XLR's if it is not a daily driver.

I only saved $100+ annually, but felt better about the AGREED TO Value on our XLR if it became a 'total loss' from a accident. Sure, a few hoops to jump through, but 6K mile per year limit for 'pleasure driving' is what I needed. You must have another daily driver to qualify, but that wasn't a problem for us. Still have 2 other vehicles, house, and life insurance with State Farm..........and another car insured with Barrett-Jackson.

I've checked on the NCM insurance, but I just cannot pull the trigger on the savings with all the rules that go with it. For instance, my 68 vette would be dirt cheap, but if I want to get in it and drive somewhere, I don't want to ask "Is this ok with my insurance." Never mind that I rarely drive it. ha!

I checked about six other companies before my insurance was due in October, and I ended up staying with Allstate. Their prices were best when compared item by item with the others. Our home is with Allstate, too.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom