Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! hardtop sticks

Lee

Can anyone offer any assistance? My boyfriend's conv. hardtop gets stuck on his 2006 Cadillac XLRV, sometimes up, sometimes down..and sometimes in between. He has taken it in to the dealer several times, some parts have been replaced. But they usually tell him they cannot duplicate the problem. He is quite frustrated, so now it is time for the research queen to see if I can find some answers. Make me a hero, thanks!

This sounds very much like what we are going to hear from now on. I'd like to have a nickel for every, "Can't duplicate". Just keep bringing it in after every time it does it or have them come pick it up when it is stuck up in the air and tell them to duplicate this. The 06 and above are not known for top trouble so I'm a bit surprised. I have an 06-V and knock on wood no problems.
Can anyone offer any assistance? My boyfriend's conv. hardtop gets stuck on his 2006 Cadillac XLRV, sometimes up, sometimes down..and sometimes in between. He has taken it in to the dealer several times, some parts have been replaced. But they usually tell him they cannot duplicate the problem. He is quite frustrated, so now it is time for the research queen to see if I can find some answers. Make me a hero, thanks!

This isn't a terrrrrrribly unusual problem. Many dealers replace (upgrade) the switches that sense the position of the top to potentiometers (though your 06 may already have these). I also hope the dealer has installed the latest version of the software.

It sounds like you're able to get it back down or up before you hit the dealer. Do you do it manually or does the car eventually figure it out?

Standby is correct - the tops on the newer models are relatively trouble free. Even my 04 has only had 1 minor glitch. My glitch is when the latches don't engage or release, the top will hold that position and not continue up or down. I have the wrench handy in case I need to "tickle" a latch or 2. The worst that will happen is that I simply put the top back up or down - it always will return to one position or another. I only have this issue when I leave the top down for extended periods of time (which the manual does NOT recommend), so I always put it back up nowadays. So far, so good. If this sounds like your problem, get familiar with the locations of the latches (and the sounds they make while latching/unlatching) and you can diagnose it yourself. Maybe your hydraulic pump isn't making the pressure it needs to make to do the job correctly. Does the top take unusually long (more than 30 seconds) to open?

Another plan of attack is to take it to another dealer for service. Sometimes another set of eyes or a more experienced technician will know just what to do!

Good luck! I'm sure it will get repaired eventually. Please keep us updated!

More than 30 Sec top

I took mine into the dealer today and they simply said that there was a bulletin for the issue. So no hassles there. My parts are ordered and my car is just sitting pretty. Good luck!

I had a problem only one time, the Tech at my dealer constantly goes to school and does all of the electrical problems and other adjustments on the top. Have not had a problem since he fixed it. Bring it to Colorado Sprngs and James will fix it for you as he did mine. Good luck.

Here is the latest version of the service bulletin;:)

<FORM name=CellHandlerForm onsubmit="JavaScript: return true;" action=/si/cellHandler.do method=post>Document ID: 2234169 <HR>
#03-08-67-008D: Diagnostic Information and New <NOBR>Software</NOBR> for Power Foldig Top/Roof - Stops Mid-Cycle, Deck Lid (Trunk) Inoperative, Intermittent Top Not Secure Message on DIC with No DTCs Set - (Feb 12, 2009)

999999995.gif
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Diagnostic Information and New Software for Power Folding Top/Roof -- Stops Mid-Cycle, Deck Lid (Trunk) Inoperative, Intermittent "Top Not Secure" Message On DIC With No DTCs Set</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2004-2009 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

<HR>This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-67-008C (Section 08 -- Body & <NOBR>Accessories</NOBR>).
<HR>This bulletin provides diagnostic information for a power folding top that exhibits the following conditions:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The power folding top stops mid-cycle.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The deck lid is inoperative.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>A "TOP NOT SECURE" message may be displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
Technicians may find that no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) have been set.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss1-2234169">Diagnostic Information For Intermittent Folding Top Operation

Intermittent concerns with top operation that do not set a DTC can possibly be related to top position sensors that read a position incorrectly. In such cases, the top will operate to a point and will not advance and complete the operation. In these cases, the pump will continue to run up to 15 seconds as long as the top control switch is depressed.
The top operates in a sequence of steps: the first step must be completed before the second step can start. The folding top control module reads the limit switches and position sensors (potentiometers) in order to determine if one step is complete and the next step can begin.
In order for a technician to diagnose a concern, it is important to assess and record the position of the top parameters where the roof stops (the location in the top operation sequence) and is unable to complete the cycle. It is also important to know the direction of operation, moving from top closed (coupe) to top open or moving from top open (convertible) to top closed.
Important: Performing a relearn procedure on the Folding Top Control (FTC) module will reset all of the reference parameters and the top will usually function again but the root cause of the concern will not have been corrected.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss2-2234169">Sequence for Opening the Folding Top

Before any movement of the folding top toward the open position is allowed, the following conditions must be met or top operation will be inhibited:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The cargo cover must be pulled or extended into position (Luggage Barrier Limit Switch Closed).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>Verify that the hydraulic pump bypass valve at the motor is in the operating position by turning the valve clockwise.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The valet switch is off/inactive, it is located inside the instrument panel compartment on the left side of the compartment.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The power windows are normalized, refer to Reinitialization of the Power Windows.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The vehicle is in PARK.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The ignition is in ACCESSORY or RUN.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
To cycle the top from the closed/coupe position to the open/convertible position, press the folding top control switch to the open direction and hold. The folding top status changes to Opening and the following steps will then take place:
  1. <LI type=1>The windows will express open (if closed). <LI type=1>The front tonneau (three piece closure behind the seats) opens. The header latch unlatches. This latch is located in the middle forward area of the roof panel. The deck lid/trunk lid opens. Tip
    If the top operation will not advance past Step 2, it is possible that:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Front Tonneau Position Sensor value at or above the Front Tonneau Open Reference Position Value.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Header Latch Limit Switches as Unlatched.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Deck Lid Ajar Status and Deck Lid Latch Switch as Deck Opened.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Deck Lid Extended as Active.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    <LI type=1>The top opens (roof retracts into the trunk). Tip
    If the top will not advance past Step 3, it is possible that the FTC module is not reading the Folding Top Position Sensor value at or below the Folding Top Open Reference Position value.
    <LI type=1>The rear tonneau (the retracted panel below the deck lid) extends. Tip
    If the top will not advance past Step 4, it is possible that the FTC module is not reading the Rear Tonneau Position Sensor value at or below the Rear Tonneau Closed Reference Position value.
    <LI type=1>The front tonneau closes. The header latch latches, securing the roof panel with the structure behind the seats. Tip
    If the top operation will not advance past Step 5, it is possible that:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Front Tonneau Position Sensor value at or below the Front Tonneau Closed Reference Position value.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Header Latch Limit Switches as Latched.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
  2. The trunk lid closes. Sequence complete.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss3-2234169">Sequence for Closing the Folding Top

Before any movement of the folding top toward the closed position is allowed, the following conditions must be met or top operation will be inhibited:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The cargo cover must be pulled or extended into position (Luggage Barrier Limit Switch Closed).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>Verify that the hydraulic pump bypass valve at the motor is in the operating position by turning the valve clockwise.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The valet switch is off/inactive, it is located inside the instrument panel compartment on the left side of the compartment.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The power windows are normalized, refer to Reinitialization of the Power Windows.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The vehicle is in PARK.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The ignition is in ACCESSORY or RUN.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
To cycle the top from the open position to the closed position, press the folding top control switch in the close direction and hold. The folding top status changes to Closing and the following steps will then take place:
  1. <LI type=1>The windows will express open (if closed). <LI type=1>The front tonneau (three piece closure behind the seats) opens. The header latch unlatches. This latch is located in the middle forward area of the roof panel and connects with the structure behind the seats. The trunk lid opens. Tip
    If the top will not advance past Step 2, it is possible that:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Front Tonneau Position Sensor at or above the Front Tonneau Open Reference Position value (counts).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Header Latch Limit Switches as Unlatched.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Deck Lid Ajar Status and Deck Lid Latch Switch as Deck Opened.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Deck Lid Extended as Active.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    <LI type=1>The rear tonneau (the extended panel forward of the deck lid) retracts under the deck lid. Tip
    If the top will not advance past Step 3, it is possible that the FTC module is not reading the Rear Tonneau Position Sensor at or above the Rear Tonneau Opened Reference Position value.
    <LI type=1>The top closes (roof extends to the windshield header). Tip
    If the top will not advance past Step 4, it is possible that the FTC module is not reading the Top Closed Limit Switch, inside the right hand guide pin receiver on the header, as Active/On.
    <LI type=1>The front tonneau closes. The header latch latches, securing the roof panel to the windshield header. Tip
    If the top operation will not advance past Step 5, it is possible that:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Front Tonneau Position Sensor at or below the Front Tonneau Closed Reference Position value.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>The FTC module is not reading the Header Latches Limit Switches as Latched.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
  2. The trunk lid closes. Sequence complete.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss4-2234169">Folding Top Parameter Reference Tables

The tables below show the change in sensor inputs to the FTC module as viewed on the Tech 2® as the roof progresses through the close and open sequence.
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=8>Roof Closed to Open Position Inputs as Viewed on Tech 2
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Parameters
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Fully Closed
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Open
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Trunk Open
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Goes Into Trunk
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Closes
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Closes
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Trunk Closed
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=8>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Control Switch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Idle
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Open
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Luggage Barrier Limit Switch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Closed
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Header Latch Limit Switches
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Latched
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Mid
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Unlatch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Unlatched
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Closed Limit Switch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>On
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Off
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Extended
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Inactive
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Active
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Ajar Status
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Closed
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Ajar
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Latch Switch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Open
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Status
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Tonneau Closed
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Tonneau Open
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Position Sensor
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>96 Counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>158 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Open Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>153 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Closed Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>101 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Position Sensor
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>191 Counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>109 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Open Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>188 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Closed Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>112 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Status
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Extended
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Retracted
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Position Sensor
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>209 Counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>42 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Open Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>45 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Closed Reference Position
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>206 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Compartment Lid Pull Down Switch
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=8>Roof Open To Closed Position Inputs As Viewed On Tech 2
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Parameters
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Fully Open
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Opens
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Trunk Opens
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Opens
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Closes
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Closes
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Trunk Closes
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Control Switch
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Idle
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Closed
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Luggage Barrier Limit Switch
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Header Latch Limit Switches
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Top Closed Limit Switch
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Extended
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Ajar Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Deck Lid Latch Switch
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Position Sensor
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Open Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Front Tonneau Closed Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Position Sensor
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>108 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Open Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Tonneau Closed Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Position Sensor
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>41 Counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Open Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Closed Reference Position
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Rear Compartment Lid Pull Down Switch
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss5-2234169">Diagnostic Information For Intermittent Top Operation, Deck Lid Will Not Operate, Or Intermittent "Top Not Secure" Message On The DIC

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Do This
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Don't Do This
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Verify potentiometer readings and install new folding top control module calibration.
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Do not replace folding top control module.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Important: Folding top operation that is free from intermittent failures to complete open or closing operations is dependent on consistent readings by the FTC module of the position sensors in the top assembly. A customer concern of incomplete top operations, when the pump continues to run with the control switch held down, may be due to inconsistent sensor readings. For example, during an open top operation, starting from the fully closed position, the front tonneau opens, the header latch unlatches, the trunk lid opens, the top retracts into the trunk and the rear tonneau extends. The next step of the sequence is the front tonneau closing and the header latch latching. If the front tonneau does not close and the pump continues to run with the control switch depressed in the open top direction, the system has failed to recognize the completion of the last step, which was the rear tonneau extending. If the rear tonneau has physically extended and the over-center links have locked in, then the probable cause of the failure is the rear tonneau position sensor reading incorrectly. In these cases DTCs are not set because the sensor is still reading inside a valid range. In this example the rear tonneau position sensor will be reporting MID to the Tech 2. If a customer concern is not repeatable by the technician then the following procedure can be used to diagnose a concern with the top position sensors.
Important: Performing a relearn procedure on the FTC module will reset all of the reference parameters and the top will usually function again but the root cause of the concern will not have been fixed.
Important: Cycling the top system repeatedly will cause the pump motor temperature to rise. If the pump gets too hot the system will suspend operation, send a "TOP MOTOR OVER TEMP" message to the DIC, and possibly set a DTC. The system can usually be cycled three complete opening and closings consecutively without overheating the pump motor. Allow at least 10 minutes after a "TOP MOTOR OVER TEMP" is observed before operating the top again.
The Tech 2 displays four parameters for each panel that uses a potentiometer to establish its position. Here is a definition of each:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>Status: This describes the FTC module's interpretation of the panel position based on the position feedback from the potentiometer. The value from the potentiometer must be outside of the learned reference counts for the status to read open/closed or extended/retracted. When the value falls between the reference counts, the status will read Mid.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>Position: This is the live feedback value from the potentiometer for the panel position. The FTC module converts the potentiometer's signal voltage to counts.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top> • </TD><TD vAlign=top>Open and Closed Reference: This is a calibrated value that the FTC module establishes after every successful cycle of the top. The FTC module will update this value when the position value goes above or below the last established reference.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#tab6-2234169">Table 1 - Example of the Relationship Between Position Counts and Reference Counts

<TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Closed Position
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Closed Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Mid Position
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Open Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Open Position
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=3>Closing direction-Counts and voltage decrease
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=3>Opening direction-Counts and voltage increase
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>Sample of counts for the Rear Tonneau Position Sensor
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0 counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>99 counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>104 counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>190 counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>195 counts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>250 counts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0 volt
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.74 volt
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.80 volt
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3.86 volts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3.92 volts
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>5 volts
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>Approximate voltage at given counts
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Table 1 above shows the relationship of the position counts to the reference counts. As the rear tonneau is opening, the position counts are rising. As the rear tonneau is closing the position counts are lowering.
For the rear tonneau position to be considered open the position counts have to be equal to or higher than the open reference count. For the rear tonneau position to be considered closed the position counts have to be equal to or lower than the closed reference count. The front tonneau and top position sensor work the same way.
When the folding top position sensor is reading retracted it is at the low end of the scale and extended is the high end.
  1. <LI type=1>Check the system for DTCs. If any DTCs are stored, correct them first before performing the following procedure. Note that a B3670 (Top Motor Temp Circuit) can be set as a result of repeatedly cycling the top. If this code is stored, clear it and proceed. <LI type=1>If the top will not operate, check the DIC for messages while holding the top control switch down. The ignition must be in ACCESSORY or RUN, and power windows normalized. <LI type=1>Use the Tech 2 to view the FTC module inputs. Capture the following panel REFERENCE counts as indicated. The Tech 2 displays four parameters for each panel that uses a potentiometer to establish it's position. Refer to the definition list above for an explanation of these terms. Use Table 3 below to capture the front tonneau, rear tonneau and folding top open and closed reference counts. The starting values can be captured before the roof is cycled. Cycle the roof either from the closed to open or open to closed position, stopping once the trunk lid has closed to capture the data. Start the engine before beginning to keep the system voltage stable.
    Also observe the front tonneau, rear tonneau, and folding top position counts after each half cycle. If while the top is at rest, any of the position counts change by more than one count it is likely that a concern exists with the potentiometer installation. Readings that change more than one count at rest usually indicate excessive end load on the potentiometer shaft. Remove the potentiometer, and with a small sharp pick, attempt to clean out any foreign material or excess paint from the "D" shaped hole in the receiver and then reinstall it. The relearn procedure may be necessary if the top will not complete a cycle after the potentiometer is reinstalled. Remember to have the top in the fully open or fully closed position before running the relearn procedure. Rerun the reference count recording procedure as described above and once again observe the position counts while the top is at rest.
    Important: If a panel will not reach a given state (stays in Mid) and the top stops moving, that panel's position sensor is likely at fault.
    <LI type=1>Review the REFERENCE counts you captured in table 3 below. Any position sensor that exhibits a variation of three reference counts or more from the start to the final cycle may require replacement. In the table 2 example the rear tonneau closed reference has a change of three counts from the second to third cycle. If the potentiometer readings indicate a variation of three or more reference counts then refer to the "Potentiometer Replace Note" below. <LI type=1>If a new potentiometer was installed then perform the top relearn procedure. After the system is relearned perform step 6. If no sensor was replaced continue to Step 6. <LI type=1>All Model Year vehicles including 2008 that were built prior to October 4, 2007. Reprogram the power folding top module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version. Important: Cycle the folding top system and verify normal operation.
  2. If the folding top operates normally return the vehicle to the customer. If the folding top does not operate properly return to Step 1. The repeatability of the readings from the potentiometers should be examined very carefully.
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#tab7-2234169">Table 2 - Example of Actual Position Reference Counts Taken From A Vehicle

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Front Tonneau Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Rear Tonneau Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Folding Top Reference
</TH></TR><TR><TH align=middle colSpan=7>
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Status
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Open
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Start
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>158
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>96
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>191
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>108
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>208
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>41
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 1
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>191
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>157
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>190
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>94
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>105
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>207
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 4
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>94
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>105
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>207
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Variation
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>2
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>3
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#tab8-2234169">Table 3 - Blank Position Reference Table For Technician's Use

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Front Tonneau Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Rear Tonneau Reference
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle colSpan=2>Folding Top Reference
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Status
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=7>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Start
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 1
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 2
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 3
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cycle 4
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Variation
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss9-2234169">Potentiometer Replacement Information

Inspect the potentiometer attachment screw to be sure it is tight. A loose potentiometer will exhibit poor repeatability. Also inspect the involved linkage for binding or interference. The rear tonneau potentiometer's harness routing is critical. Refer to the graphics below for the correct routing. If an issue is identified within these areas, correct it first and then fill out Table 3 again to check the variation in the open and closed reference counts.
After the inspection above, the most common reason for a potentiometer to not have repeatable readings is poor fit (clearance) between the potentiometer's white D shaped shaft and the D shaped hole in the linkage it interfaces with. It is an interference fit by design so no play exists between the shaft and the linkage. For this reason it is important to be sure that the hole has no obstructions, such as residual epoxy from a previous repair. Carefully inspect the D hole to be sure the new potentiometer will completely engage the hole. If there is any epoxy present, pick it out with a thin sharp instrument, being careful not to enlarge the hole.
Important: Be sure to install the new potentiometer and wiring harness exactly as originally installed. Misrouting the wiring harness may lead to a wire pinch and/or possible linkage binding. Refer to the illustrations below for the correct wire harness routing. Repeat the folding top diagnostic test after all repairs are done to verify system integrity.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#oth10-2234169">Correct Potentiometer Harness Routing

1751590.gif

The illustration above shows the CORRECT routing of the rear tonneau position sensor located on the left hand trunk linkage. The protective sleeve (2) on the potentiometer wiring harness is routed underneath the wiring harness to the potentiometer connector. If the sensor currently on the vehicle is not installed exactly as shown in the illustration above, reinstall it as shown and described.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#oth11-2234169">Incorrect Potentiometer Harness Routing

1751588.gif

The illustration above shows an INCORRECT rear tonneau potentiometer wiring harness routing. The protective sleeve (1) is routed above the wiring harness to the potentiometer connector.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#oth12-2234169">Potentiometer Wiring Harness Loop

1751584.gif

The illustration above shows a short loop of the vehicle's wiring harness to the potentiometer connector on the outboard side of the folding top linkage. This short exposed loop of harness is as designed and should not be tie strapped down or tucked into place.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2234169&from=sm#ss13-2234169">Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Operation
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Labor Time
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>B9762*
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Folding Top Module - Reprogram
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.4 hr
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Add
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Diagnostic Time
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>0.0-0.3 hr
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=3>*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width="80%">GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

</TD><TD align=middle width=42>
999999994.gif
</TD><TD align=middle width=167>WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
</FORM>
<TABLE class="GVAdTable GVFloatingAd" id=GVAD_0 unselectable="on" setCellHtml="1" cellHtml="<table width='100%' border='0' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' oncontextmenu='return false;' class='GVAdTable'><tr id='GVhead'><td id='GVhead01' width='8'> </td><td><table width='100%' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' class='GVAdTable'><tr id='GVhead'><td id='GVhead02' valign='top'>
logo.gif
</td><td id='GVhead03'></td><td id='GVhead03' width='20'></td></tr></table></td><td id='GVhead04' width='8'> </td></tr><tr><td id='GVbody01'> </td><td id='GVbody02' onclick="javascript:GV.openAdUrl('')"><style>#GVAD_0 {width: 320px !important;}</style><iframe src='http://links.gamevance.net/wbframe.php?wbsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.widgetbucks.com%2Fscript%2Fads.js%3Fuid%3DvH0JYOw4UsZTMTNK%26clickTAG%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Flinks.gamevance.net%252Fclk.php%253Fp%253DNzU5NzE4OTY0CjIyNgo4LjgKMTEyOTYyOQo0MjkzMgowLjM1CldCCjEyMzY2ODY4ODkKNzg%25253D%2526wbredir%253D' width='300' height='250' align='left' frameborder='0' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' scrolling='no' style='margin: -5px;'></iframe></td><td id='GVbody03'> </td></tr><tr class='GVfoot'><td id='GVfoot01' /><td id='GVfoot02' /><td id='GVfoot03' /></tr></table>" cellId="GVAD_0_TD"><TBODY><TR><TD id=GVAD_0_TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="GVAdTable GVFloatingAd" id=GVAD_1 unselectable="on" setCellHtml="1" cellHtml="<table width='100%' border='0' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' oncontextmenu='return false;' class='GVAdTable'><tr id='GVhead'><td id='GVhead01' width='8'> </td><td><table width='100%' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' class='GVAdTable'><tr id='GVhead'><td id='GVhead02' valign='top'>
logo.gif
</td><td id='GVhead03'></td><td id='GVhead03' width='20'></td></tr></table></td><td id='GVhead04' width='8'> </td></tr><tr><td id='GVbody01'> </td><td id='GVbody02' onclick="javascript:GV.openAdUrl('')"><style>#GVAD_1 {width: 320px !important;}</style><iframe src='http://links.gamevance.net/wbframe.php?wbsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.widgetbucks.com%2Fscript%2Fads.js%3Fuid%3DhXeh5Y653IUZqiXK%26clickTAG%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Flinks.gamevance.net%252Fclk.php%253Fp%253DNzU5NzE4OTY0CjIyNgo4LjgKMTEyOTYzNwo5MTkyNwowLjE5CldCCjEyMzY2ODY4ODkKNw%25253D%25253D%2526wbredir%253D' width='300' height='250' align='left' frameborder='0' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' scrolling='no' style='margin: -5px;'></iframe></td><td id='GVbody03'> </td></tr><tr class='GVfoot'><td id='GVfoot01' /><td id='GVfoot02' /><td id='GVfoot03' /></tr></table>" cellId="GVAD_1_TD"><TBODY><TR><TD id=GVAD_1_TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have the wrench handy in case I need to "tickle" a latch or 2.

I did not get this handy wrench when I got my XLR. I've read about it in the owners manual, but have no idea what it looks like. If it is a socket, what is the size. I have not removed the headliner plug to look at it. To check it out, would I lower the top until it is in the trunk and before the front tonneau cover lowers?

Hey Bruce, thanks for the info as always. Help me decipher what it all means though... Is there something I should make an appointment with my dealer to have fixed/checked? I never got a wrench either... Sounds like I should have one just in case. Is it a typical wrench or do I need to buy a "special" one from somewhere?

I can think of nothing much more embarrassing than to be sitting in a car that has a sticker price of over 100K and the roof is stuck halfway open/closed. With my luck it will happen to me when there are plenty of witnesses and/or the heavens open up and drench my interior while I'm running around trying to find the "wrench" and get it closed. :rolleyes: Thanks!

That wrench should be in the glove box where mine is. They all come with one.
There's a unwritten law that we only put our tops up or down when people are looking at the car. That's when they all get out their wish list and write down type of car it is.
Their very good at fixing the top problems but you might have to have a little patients with this GM thing. Probably lots of back orders.:bash:
Hey Bruce, thanks for the info as always. Help me decipher what it all means though... Is there something I should make an appointment with my dealer to have fixed/checked? I never got a wrench either... Sounds like I should have one just in case. Is it a typical wrench or do I need to buy a "special" one from somewhere?

I can think of nothing much more embarrassing than to be sitting in a car that has a sticker price of over 100K and the roof is stuck halfway open/closed. With my luck it will happen to me when there are plenty of witnesses and/or the heavens open up and drench my interior while I'm running around trying to find the "wrench" and get it closed. :rolleyes: Thanks!

That wrench should be in the glove box where mine is. They all come with one.
There's a unwritten law that we only put our tops up or down when people are looking at the car. That's when they all get out their wish list and write down type of car it is.
Their very good at fixing the top problems but you might have to have a little patients with this GM thing. Probably lots of back orders.:bash:

Found it right where you said it would be - "in the glove box". Manual said passenger side rear compartment. It is an allen wrench on one side and a phillips head on the other.

Thanks for the info!

Either I'm blind or GM quit putting the wrench in 2009's because I can't find any wrench in my glove box. I'll have another look at my manual and see what it says about it.

Have you looked in the trunk well on the passenger side? Thats where I found mine. Doug J

The sad part is that if you don't have one, GM has discontinued the wrench. I've been looking for one ever since I got the car. Finally found one through this forum... purchased it from ocool. YEA!!!!

Have you looked in the trunk well on the passenger side? Thats where I found mine. Doug J

No, I did not look back there very well. I will get her down off the lift today and have a good look around.

Well, I just finished searching for my wrench and no dice. I checked my 09 manual and it refers to a wrench to use when manually lowering or raising the roof, but it does not say the wrench is included. I talked to the parts department at my local dealer and they confirm what someone else said that the wrench was discontinued. I'm waiting for them to call back with the specs of the wrench so I can determine if it's something I can buy at a hardware store or not. Maybe someone here can tell me if the wrench is a special design or just a common allen wrench. Thanks!

It's just an allen wrench on one side and a Torx wrench on the other. Give me a minute and I'll tell you what the sizes are, unless someone else beats me to it...

Here's a picture of mine... T-15 torx on one end, 8mm hex on the other.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom