Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

04 XLR; passenger door lock/unlock switch!!

kenai

My XLR/V(s)
2004 crimson pearl
Hi All - the passenger unlock door switch got pushed in too far; something holdingit in position was broken probably by pushing on the switch too hard.... the switch still works but it is recessed too far..how is this fixed? does the door panel have to be removed?...what is involved in removing the door panel?..thxs kenai

1) Obtain and chill beer.
2) Lower the window.
3) Remove the plug behind the wooden pull handle.
4) Remove the fasteners behind the plug.
5) Remove the courtesy lamp at the bottom of the door.
6) Remove the fastener securing the courtesy lamp housing.
7) Use a plastic trim removal tool to remove the retaining fasteners that attach the panel to the door. Do this carefully to avoid damaging the fasteners. Pry out the first fastener --located 2" up from the bottom at the rear of the trim panel, to better see the next fasteners, then move forward to the remaining fasteners.
8) Lift the trim panel upwards from the top fasteners to remove it from the door.
9) Disconnect the electrical connector.
10) Set the trim panel aside.
11) Transfer any trim panel retainers to the panel that remain on the door.
12) Re-position (or replace the switch if the housing is damaged) and reverse the disassembly steps, until you reach #2.
13) Disregard step 1 and begin consuming your chilled beer.
14) Take a long look in the mirror and marvel at your engenuity and resourcefulness!
15) Repeat step 13 as required.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
PASSENGER DOOR WILL NOT OPEN

MY PASSENGER DOOR WILL OPEN FROM THE INSIDE BUT NOT FROM THE OUTSIDE ANY SUGGERSTIONS

It's probably the switch. Swap the passenger side exterior switch with the driver's side. (2 screws, five minutes.) If the problem is fixed, order a new switch (they're cheap!)

CCC :wave:

I put off cleaning mine last year. HA! what a mistake.

It's like a whole new car now! I can get in and my passanger won't feel like an idiot that can't get in!

Some 1000 grit sandpaper, a little alcohol, zip zip zip!

I had no idea the doors opened so easily. I just put it down to not the best idea in door opening.

If your car Is old and you've never done this, and you're the second owner, do it NOW! :D

Now if the outside trunk button where easier to get to..

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom